F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

FI Light and Power Loss over Bumps

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI Light and Power Loss over Bumps

Good morning ladies and gentlemen.

As of lately, I've been noticing my f4i has a bit of an issue - to me it sounds like a loose connection but uncertain where to start.

The problem only occurs when I ride over bumps. Instantly the FI light comes on and power loss occurs- I have to rev or go over some more bumps to make the FI light turn off. If I'm coming to a stop and the FI light is on, the bike will idle down to 0 and shut off but will start back up normally.

I'm really hoping some harness just needs to be secured or something... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-10-2014, 08:45 AM

thats a tricky one, this may not be correct but i'd check your regulator and the connectors where it plugs into the harness, may have a loose connection or a short somewhere. or when you hit the bumps it may be causing a wire to ground out on metal somewhere so check your wires to see if they are all intact and not showing metal anywhere from rubbing or something. i wish i could give you more info but keep us posted and if i think of anything else ill let ya know

Old 07-10-2014, 08:46 AM

shouldve thought of this first, check your battery cables, take them loose and clean and make sure they are connected properly and nice and snug

Old 07-10-2014, 09:59 AM

Thanks jeremymik84, my battery cables have come loose twice since I bought the bike in April. It is firmly secured though so might have to rule that one out of the equation.

Maybe this weekend I will strip some plastics off and jiggle around every cable and harness to see what is triggering this FI light. Ugh....

Old 07-10-2014, 10:11 AM

yeah wiring is always a pain, if the cables are tight i would start with regulator because A) its the easiest thing to start with and B) when mine was first going out it would do the same thing youre talking about, bogging out on bumps and dying when i try to come to a stop. then after a while it would stop wanting to crank and wouldnt hold an idle for anything. to do so remove your seat and once its warmed up turn the high beams on and hold the throttle to 5k rpm and check voltage at batter, should be 15.5v or higher (per the service manual) and if its anything lower your regulator is on its way out i'd say.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by jeremymik84
yeah wiring is always a pain, if the cables are tight i would start with regulator because A) its the easiest thing to start with and B) when mine was first going out it would do the same thing youre talking about, bogging out on bumps and dying when i try to come to a stop. then after a while it would stop wanting to crank and wouldnt hold an idle for anything. to do so remove your seat and once its warmed up turn the high beams on and hold the throttle to 5k rpm and check voltage at batter, should be 15.5v or higher (per the service manual) and if its anything lower your regulator is on its way out i'd say.
What does this so called Regulator cost?

Old 07-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

should be 15.5v or higher (per the service manual)

Should be LOWER than 15.5, but higher than battery voltage. Usually 13.5v-14.5v

Old 07-10-2014, 10:47 AM

depends on if you go aftermarket or OEM, OEM Will always be more expensive but in my opinion with things like this, more reliable... average aftermarket cost is around 100 on ebay and places like that, OEM on partzilla (cheapest place ive found) is 114. (found in the wire harness section) im sure the stealership would be close to 200 for the same part.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:50 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Have you tried pulling the code to see if there is one stored?

It may tell you where to start looking....

Old 07-10-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Have you tried pulling the code to see if there is one stored?

It may tell you where to start looking....
I have not.. I didn't even know you could pull codes on these. I know more about cars. Any guidance or link would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: FI Light and Power Loss over Bumps