F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

fi light comes on solid...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fi light comes on solid...

first post, but i have been a long time follower of this forum. hopefully i can contribute something here, but first off i have a question for you all.

2001 cbr f4i. 32xxx miles. i am the 3rd owner, only 600-700 miles are mine. bike runs very well. starts/idles where it should. no temp. issues. doesn't leak a drop, etc. only problem i am having (and this happened within the last week) is that the fi light will pop on and stay on. different times after beginning my ride. no flashes. no code. just comes on solid. bike sounds good...the fi light did not pop on before this past week, so i am thinking that this could be a possible battery issue? i did the basic oil change/chain clean when i got the bike, but did not mess with anything electrical. would a weak battery cause the fi light to pop on and stay on solid 15 minutes into a ride? sometimes i can ride for 15 minutes and i get no fi light. sometimes 10 minutes into my ride i get the fi light. i have started the bike in neutral and let it run, waiting to see flashes...but i have found nothing. what would cause an fi light to go solid after the bike has been on the road for 10 minutes? any previous experience or possible explanation would be appreciated....because this is starting to drive me a little bit mad.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:34 AM

disconnected the battery today and sanded/shined up and secured the connections. rode for 15 miles. no fi light. parked. hour later. bike starts fine. 5 minutes into the ride the fi light comes on and stays on 'till end of ride. regardless of all this nonsense, has anyone ever had their fi light come on and stay solid until the end of their ride? planning on taking the bike on a long/desolate ride tomorrow...and am hoping i don't end up stranded in the jungle with some electrical problem. the shops around here are booked up 'till monday and i am really trying to figure this thing out....

thanks for your time.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:43 AM

does anyone think an exorcism would work? some chicken blood and voodoo magic? i might try those just in case.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:45 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Service manual for no blinks, stays lit, and engine runs normally cause is:

short circuit in service check connector and/or service connector wire
faulty ECM

Old 06-19-2009, 11:17 AM

Not sure if this will help, cause it should blink while the bike's running if it is going to give you any codes, but...

Under the seat, near the battery there should be a connector with two wires, not plugged into anything, this is the service connector.

Either it is shorting out, as elfling said, or you could try getting codes out the manual way.

With the bike off, use a paper clip to connect the two wires on the service connector. Then turn the key on and the FI light should blink to give you the codes.

If you do get some codes you can search the forum for more info, or post em back here and I'll check back to tell you what they mean.

Good Luck

Old 06-19-2009, 03:13 PM

thank you both...i did the paper-clip/service connector bit. turned the bike on and it gave me the code.

one long blink/one short blink/pause/9 short blinks. guessing it is two different issues? 11 is the speed sensor and the 9 short is the IAT. the speedo issue makes sense. now i am going to check on the IAT....

i really appreciate the advice on the paper-clip bit.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:09 PM

lifted the tank...IAT is secure. wires are secure. sensor probably went bad. speedo issue was known. looks like i have a little project.

thanks again for the help.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:39 AM

The light will only blink when the kickstand is down. When riding, the light will stay on.

Start the bike & wait for the light to blink. Count the blinks & check the service manual for codes.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:30 PM

I have had similar issues, but they seem to have resolved themselves. I still notice that my FI light comes on when I turn the key into the 'on' position, but the bike is not yet running. Does anyone know how long the FI light should stay on (when the bike is first turned on, but not running)??? Once the motor is running the FI light immediately goes off.

I know I have a 'weak' battery and was wondering if the FI light was trying to tell me something or if I just noticed it because the battery was low and I was looking for some sort of indicator....

Old 06-24-2009, 03:40 PM

I'm pretty sure the FI light (as does the oil light) should stay on solid until the bike is started. I don't think it shuts off after a certain amount of time, but then again I'm not leaving my bike sitting there with the key on and not running either.

Quick Reply: fi light comes on solid...