F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

FI light 2 times - MAP sensor or FPR - need advise

Old 05-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI light 2 times - MAP sensor or FPR - need advise

So the symptoms are a random on and off FI light...rough idle ONLY at startup....FI light blinked twice on one instance....from what I've read below....its the MAP sensor or FPR....What do you guys recommend my plan of attack should be? I figured, unhook the MAP sensor harness and clean the contacts first then see if that alleviates the issue....Can I do this without taking the fairing off or anything? I read you can reach up there and grab it? (see bolded below)

2 flashes means you have a problem with your MAP sensor, or 'manifold absolute pressure' sensor. It controls your fuel/air mixture as you go up and down in altitude. the higher you are, the less fuel you burn. I had the same problem with my bike. this can be fixed by 1) Dielectric grease on map sensor connection. If that doesn't work 2) Check the vacuum suction on your vacuum hoses. Replace as necessary. If that doesn;t help: 3) Replace your MAP sensor. If that doesn't help 4) Replace ECU.

does it idle kinda funny as well? It is not unusual for bikes with faulty MAP sensors to not hold a constant idle.

The map sensor is snapped into place on the left side of your bike on the air cleaner. the attached vacuum hose goes around to behind the air cleaner. you might be able to reach and disconnect the map sensor without taking the fairing off thru the hole cut in the fairing. grease that puppy up, clean the connections and hopefully you are good to go. if that doesn't work, it gets a little more complicated.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:26 PM

Your second paragraph gives you a pretty good set of instructions. If you have the service manual it will give you very specific instructions on how to test the system. You'll need a vacuum gauge to test the MAP sensor properly. If you have extra cash you could just replace it.

To clarify your last paragraph, the MAP sensor is screwed onto the air box. You'll need a phillips screwdriver.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:07 PM

Thanks...although the MAP sensor is screwed in, I assumed the actual plastic harness clip is what I would just want to pop off and clean? I can do this while leaving the sensor screwed in place correct? As for checking if the vacuum hoses are tight..are they connected to the MAP sensor? Where are those hoses located and how many are there/do I check?

Old 05-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your vacuum hoses first, then look into possibly replacing your MAP sensor.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:04 PM

Right, you can leave the map sensor screwed in and just clean the harness connector by disconnecting it. You'll need to take the airbox off to get a good look at the hoses. The hose that connects to the MAP sensor may be difficult to get off without removing the air box. Furthermore it runs to the back of the throttle bodies into a network of more vacuum hoses.

2001 - 2003 F4i Honda Shop Manual:

http://manualedereparatie.info/manua...ratie.info.zip (page 5-14)

Last edited by DBEAU; 05-17-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:37 PM

Alright so I think I will have time tonight to pull the tank up and unhook the MAP sensor harness....I simply disconnect the harness attached the MAP sensor unit correct? Will I be able to access the hose connected to the MAP sensor as well with just the tank up (Airbox still in place) and with the MAP sensor still screwed into the airbox? I figured after I disconnect the harness, clean it, and reattach it, I want to merely check if the hose (connected the the MAP sensor unti itself right?) is not loose. Will I be able to do this?

Also, I've ALWAYS changed my oil filter with every oil change but have heard that some change the filter every other! My dilemma is that I use the expensive Honda OEM filter and would like to NOT change it this oil change if its not necessary. I am wondering if I should worry should I leave this one on for the next change. I dunno, just something about putting fresh oil in the case and combining it with a used filter and the small bit of used oil in the filter that itch's me wrong

Last edited by 600F4inoober; 06-08-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:41 PM

No feedback? How about changing the oil without changing the filter? What is everyones thoughts!