F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

FI light on 01 F4i

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FI light on 01 F4i

hey guys..hows it goin today?..im having an issue with my bike..ive done a little research online to see all what others say about it and i also wanted to post up and see wat yall think about it..i went to the Varsity for a meet in ATL a 35-40 mile drive for me and the bike ran great..came back to my area and stopped somewhere to eat then went to leave and we i started my bike it idled really low likw 700-800..normally idles 1100..so i thought that was wierd but after like 5-7 seconds it idled normal.. then i saw the notorious FI light flash twice repeatedly..so i turned it off the started it again..same thing..i was about 1/2 mile from my place so i sucked it up and rode it home hoping it wouldnt damage it any further. wen on the way home it rode normal didnt seem like anything was wrong but the FI light was now staedily illuminated..i dont know wat it could be so if u guys could throw some input at me if u have any it would be greatly appreciated..thanks!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:39 PM

[B]Hi fellow ATL resident-

Your Fi light blinking twice means your vacuum hoses need to be checked for proper connections. And if they're connected properly, you most likely need a new MAP sensor. I had the same issue with mine a few weeks back and I just replaced it. Just make sure to reset the ECM after installation.

For now, if it's not the vacuum hoses, then you're okay with riding until you get the new MAP sensor in. Will not affect the drive- just mostly the idle.[B]

Old 04-02-2010, 12:44 PM
July 2010 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^how do you reset the ecu? im just wondering if there are other techniques. i tried per the service manual and couldnt get it to reset.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:50 PM

1. Switch off engine & make sure the RUN switch is turned to KILL.

2. Find the SCC (Service Check Connector). It's a black plug with a green wire & a brown wire connected to it. It's under the seat next to the battery.

3. Short the brown & green wires together with a bit of wire. You can just push the ends of a short piece of wire down the holes where the green & brown wires disappear into the connector.

4. Turn the RUN switch to RUN.

5. Now remove the bit of wire that you just fitted & the FI light should come on.

6. Reconnect the bit of wire to the brown & green just like you did before, but you only got about 5 seconds to do it.

7. The FI light should now start flashing. If the light flashes loads of times like 20 or more, then the reset didn't work cuz you took longer than 5 seconds to re-connect the bit of wire, so you gotta do it all again.

8. If the FI light flashed just a few times then the ECC is reset properly.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:53 PM
July 2010 ROTM

thats from the service manual, thats what i did. mine doesnt reset, the light just turns off and stays off after step 6. it will come back on if i take the jumper out or if i start the bike and then take it out the light will stay off for that ride. could my ecu be the problem?

Old 04-02-2010, 12:55 PM

How many times does your Fi light blink when you start your bike? If twice, did you replace your MAP sensor?

Old 04-02-2010, 01:01 PM
July 2010 ROTM

it doesnt, it stays on. the only times i can get it to blink if if i jump the diagnostic port. it blinks 1, 2, and 9 times. i have a new map, but its not in yet. i put in a new iat-but it is still throwing the iat code. i have checked all vaccuum hoses and they are good and connected good and in the right locations.
its really weird. the bike runs very well, however it is running very rich, and i even have a shorty slipon and kandn which i thought were supposed to lean it out a bit.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:07 PM

Gotcha- the 2 blink problem is only for MAP or vacuum probs. Hate to say it, but it does sound like your ECU is shot if it's a solid red at start up.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:19 PM

mine did the EXACT same thing. turned out to be the vaccume line that runs to the map sensor had come off. Its the one on the left side of the air box. I had my tank off when i found it but it looks like you could at least see in there with the tank still on.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:22 PM

also, you said you have a new map and havent loaded it yet? PCIII? if so, have you tried disconnecting it and plugging it back to stock?

Quick Reply: FI light on 01 F4i