F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fan keeps coming on later and later

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan keeps coming on later and later

When I first bought the bike, the fan would kick on at 224F-ish like she's supposed to.

2 months ago, the fan would kick on at 227F

Now it kicks on at 230F. She got as hot as 234F before coming back down.

ideas before she goes to the dealer? I've got the shop manual to start troubleshooting but I didn't know if you guys had this problem before and knew of an easy fix.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:52 PM
Default RE: Fan keeps coming on later and later

I would imagine maybe the thermostat/temp sensor is gunked up with calcium deposits? do you you ever use water in your system. OR a 50.50 mix of tap water and coolant? tap water has a lot of calcium in it that could get lodged in your system somewhere over the years

Old 11-01-2008, 03:54 PM

nope. the only coolant my bike has ever seen is the HP premixed pro honda stuff

Old 11-01-2008, 07:00 PM

Think I'm going to buy a new fan switch... ugh

Old 11-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine doesnt even reach those temps with the cooler weather ... but probably a stupid question to your question: Is the fan supposed to come on at the same engine temp regardless of outside temp?

Old 11-01-2008, 07:33 PM

Yeah, Outside air temperature actually plays a little role in regards toengine temp. I've had my bike at 228F idleing in 30F degree weather, which is normal for 30F (if it sits long enough). Air flow is really the ultimate factor.Our bikes wouldn't even need to have a fan if they were constantly moving say, over 30MPH.

I would put some water wetter in her, or some engine ice, but I don't want to risk it freezing up in the winter. That way, I would probably never use the fan switch. Sucks living this far north.

After reading countless posts, I've determined that anything much over 230 is considered 'abnormal'. I also definitely know that the fan is coming on about 15 seconds or so after it should (compared to when it used to).

I just wish there was a way to say, without a resonable doubt, that the fan switch is my problem before sinking $45 into this thing.

and to answer your question: Yes, the fan should come on at the same water temperature regardless of outside static (or non-static) air temperature.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:57 PM

well i ordered the fan switch since my fan is now coming on at 234F. I immediately turned the bike off before it got any hotter.

Anyone know if i have to flush the radiator in order to replace this thing?

Old 11-05-2008, 05:31 PM

Hey Flyou, I don't think you should worry too much about your temperature, my bike rides at 225 all the time and my fan doesn't kick on til 230 also. I had my bike all the way up to 259 and it was 120 degrees out and I was sitting for over 5 minutes at a time. At that temperature, what resulted is my clutch plates burned up. So the point is, at 230 is when my fan also kicks on. As for to flush your radiator, take off your fairings and I think there is a drain valve on the radiator. I will go look later and find out for sure for you.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:35 PM

I just checked my bike, there isn't any drain release valve on it, you will probably have to loosen up the hose on it and let it come out with gravity or run a hose into it to flush it out properly.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:57 PM

eh too late. i already ordered the part. It was like 40 bucks so i figured, what the hell. I'm pretty sure the thermostat is fine because once the fan does come on, the temperature drops like a rock.

That makes me believe there is good flow around the thermostat since the fan stillbrings the temperature down in a hurry once the fan activates. (everyone agree)?

Currently, the fan activates at 235 and deactivates at 229. The bike is 6 years old and the fan has never activated this late.

Talked to a couple of mechanics. they've said they've never heard of the problem before, although they'd start with replacing the fan switch. I'm reading about it in the manual and it doesn't say anything about draining the coolant. I guess I'll just unscrew it and see if i get soaking wet lol.

Quick Reply: Fan keeps coming on later and later