F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

false nuetrals and notchy shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default false nuetrals and notchy shifting

o.k. i changed the oil and filter at 350 and again at 750 miles. my bike now has 1400 miles on it. for the first 950 miles i never missed one shift (not one). now itseems to me the shifting is getting even notchier and now sometimes i miss second gear and occationally 6th (followed by horrible tranny grinding noises as i try to put it back in fifth or sixth)and my downshifts, even with a throttle blip, are gettin rough. this kinda pisses me off as my old bikes shifted a lot smoother especially as the miles added up. i'm still runnin Honda gp4 oil and the factory filter. maybe i should switch to synthetic at 1500. i was gonna wait until 2000 and go to mobil 1 mx-4t but the shifting is buggin the **** out of me. do these bikes just shift that crapily or is this normal for the f4i and i should just quitbitchin[&:]

Old 04-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Default RE: false nuetrals and notchy shifting

Have u tightened ur chain recently, maybe over did it. If its still got warranty get it in and checked out.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:28 PM

actually my chain isa little loose and itstime to clean and lube it. that might be causin it or maybe i got lazy a lttle bit because i was focusing on the feel of some supension adjustments i had made. i don't want it ever goin to the stealer. don't trust em

Old 04-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Banned

maybe i should switch to synthetic at 1500.
That may be a little early to switch, but alot of new cars come with synthetic from the factory so maybe it doesn't really matter.

As for the shifting, after 7000 miles my shifting still feels like new, fairly tight, but no false neutrals or missed shifts and definitely no noises. Sometimes if I don't ride my bike hard and shift early, the tranny will feel 'notchier' until I run it hard, almost like the syncros were asleep and had to be woke up.

I don't recall that my buddies 05 1000RR shifted that much different and he never commented that mine felt lousy, my other buddy has a new FZ6 and he said my F4i felt niceso I don't think that the F4i shifts like crap.

Noises are always bad, horrible noises are worse. Are you still under warranty? As much as the thought of someone going into the gearbox scares me, bad noises only get worse. Keep us posted on what happens. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should be shifting like BAM...and not all 0.5 a$$d or anything like that...
shift like you are the mang and with lots of authority...tell the bike who is the boss.

and about the notchy part...check your cable adjustment. if you have it so that it engages right away as you let out, you may want to adjust it a bit.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:24 PM

listen to what tahoe says!

You should kick the gear in and out with brutal force. These machines are not made for low rpms and soft rides.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:11 PM

you guys were right again of course. i went for a ride at lunch and ran the rpms up above 5000 before shifting and no false nuetrals or grinding noises. tranny worked perfect but it still clunks putting it in first at a red light and the first to second shift is a little notchy even when the rpms are up but 2-6 were butter. maybe i'm not reving the bike enough in first to get a smooth shift to second. what rpm do you guys shift at going from first to second.i think i've been babying the bike lately and was shifting at 2500-3000 around town while i was focusing on my suspension and not shifting strong enough.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:24 PM

btw, i've owned every japanese brand of sportbike and they all false neutralled an made some pretty horrific grinding noises at times. my 98 zx6r was the worst. my honda has been the best. my yammie tranny sucked hind tit going from first to second. above14000 the bike literally did not want to go into second. i went out one night and tried repeatedly to shift at about 14500 into second. took me literally five tries. i rode that bike for another 2 years then sold it. i happy with my honda's tranny compared to the rest. i guess a few missed shifts in 1400 miles ain't bad.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:05 PM

I usually change my gears from 1st to 2nd crusing at 4 to 5K RPM,, but I will tell you this,, Have youever popped from third to second pushing it, dropping the clutch,only to notice the rpm's rising at a fast rate with no third gear unitl you let off the throttle a little bit.???? I'd take some advise too,, lol

Old 04-02-2007, 09:06 PM

Oh, and shifting around 4 to 5K in 1st and 2nd, and 3rd works fine, I shift even earlier after that,, around town taking it easy

Quick Reply: false nuetrals and notchy shifting