F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

f4i undertail wiring PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it from Motofairings.com... I couldn't find any online directions for this undertail. Its really basic and I understand why you pay more for hotbodies... hotbodies its WAY nicer. Do you think that maybe my running lights are't working at all? If so how do I fix that?

Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't find any online wire diagrams either for them. You will have to use a voltmeter to get it done right the first time really. Other than that, you should plug in your stock tail light again to see if you have a running light if it's making you paranoid.

Here's what I'd start with.

1) Connect the black wire from the undertail to a ground source on your bike.

2) The black wire in between thos 2 green wires on your bike harness is your running lights wire. Touch each of the left over wires on your undertail to this one black wire on your bike harness(the one between the 2 green wires). Turn your ignition key to ON, and if you see your undertail light up, you've got the right one. If it's the blinker or brake light, it won't light up because you havent activated turn signal or brake. If you don't see light, keep going to the next wire until you see light.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the time and effort Japanesy. I am going to go try that right now. Hopefully it works because everything you have said makes perfect sense to me.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:11 PM

If that doesn't work out, just give motofairings a call tomorrow and ask what wires go to what. If you have that, I can tell you exactly the ones to tie into.

Or...better yet, pm me your number and we'll take care of this **** right now over the phone

Old 04-07-2010, 10:34 PM

Japanesy, I think that we may have success. I am now getting a running light! I followed what you said and I got a slightly dimmer constant light. Its not a whole lot dimmer, but the light does get brighter when I apply the break. Turn signals were easy, but the grounds from the stock harness do not connect to anything. Is this because the LED had its own 2 grounds (1 for each side) make up for that?
Oh and thanks a whole lot for the walkthrough. YOU ARE THE MAN

Old 04-07-2010, 10:45 PM

did u hook those black wires up? You need to hook them up to a ground wire on your bike harness or a good metal spot on your bike.

Sounds like you got the running lights and brake lights up so that's a good sign. The dim lights are your background running lights. They're supposed to be dimmer than your brakes. They stay on constant when you turn your key right??

Old 04-07-2010, 11:37 PM

Yes the black wires both go into the green ground coming from the original harness. I meant the extra grounds coming from the stock harness that used to be the grounds for the turn signals. I assumed they just need to be capped because the new tail has two other grounds and the turn signals are integrated so the extra grounds weren't necessary. Yes that are constant when I turn the key.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:48 PM

Oh yes the other wires just cap or cover. You should be all set then.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:57 PM

Yes sir thanks to you and jonld. Right on for all of your help japanesy!

Old 01-01-2019, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by rikubot
Yes the black wires both go into the green ground coming from the original harness. I meant the extra grounds coming from the stock harness that used to be the grounds for the turn signals. I assumed they just need to be capped because the new tail has two other grounds and the turn signals are integrated so the extra grounds weren't necessary. Yes that are constant when I turn the key.
do you remember which of the wires from the undertail go to the f4i harness? i have one black, red, white, green (on the undertail) for the left, and the same on the right. the running light is on when i turn the ignition on, but i have no brake lights when i press down. turn signals work. any tips??