F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Is the F4i underpowered compared to modern 600's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who said anything about cars?

Old 07-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by denom1973
Who said anything about cars?
Point is the F4i isn't underpowered at all. Against another 600cc sport bike, most times it'll come down to the rider and what he's doing on the bike. The car drag race was just an illustration of the point. The results of that race was heavily influenced by the driver of the car too.

Nevermind the fact that for $3k you can get a machine that's faster than a car 30x its value

Old 07-08-2013, 02:24 PM
"A"
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

In any vehicle, even a bicycle or a rickshaw, if the operator is not familiar with how the vehicle operates at its limits, that vehicle is likely not going to perform when demanded to operate at its limits.

You can have the fastest bike with maximum torque/HP output, if you don't know how it behaves and responds at its limits, you are not going to do well when it is at or near its peak performance.

Most, if not all, modern bikes have more performance than rider can use on street or track, (even a Ninja 250) whether or not a rider can use that performance to the max is the limitation.

Last edited by "A"; 07-08-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:03 PM

I get the jest of what you guys are saying, and yes i know about the driver factor. I use to drag race cars for years. My point is about the F4i not being as powerful as the newer bikes. There is a guy on YouTube that runs his F4i 1/4 mile wise regularly, and he runs 11 seconds flat with mods. I have heard that the F4i in the mags that ran a mid 10 was a ringer. It's not that i'm dissing the bike, just analyzing that the newer bikes have more power and torque.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:39 PM
"A"
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Practice your launch and shifting.
I bet if you do it 20 times in a row, you can shave off 1/2 sec at some point.
Probably cheaper and more effective than any mod... until you burn out the engine or tire.

Last edited by "A"; 07-08-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if you think the extra HP is making that big of a difference, you can upgrade if you like. Based on your responses, a newer bike might make it closer... But you'll still get beat.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic...celess-147880/

Base Panigale prolly puts down 10-15 more HP than an 08 CBR1000RR. But didn't keep apex from pulling on his friend at the start.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Registered Users

Yeah it's slightly slower and heavier, on the other hand so is any 2006 or older sport bike. They all get a little faster and lighter every few years or so. All things being equal (rider skill and size) I don't think you can really compare any 06 or earlier bike to current year models.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by denom1973
I just raced a buddies gsxr600, and he beat me, despite me being more modded. I'm reading that the 07/08 rr's have excellent power for being a 600. Is the power difference significant between an F4i and the 07/08 rr?
Its about a 10hp difference. Low end is better on the f4i so 1/4mile times aren't very different if you know how to launch. I've passed many a newer bike on straits at the track on my basically stock f4i.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:49 PM

Well I personally don't drag race but I do spend a lot of time at road courses and I have an 01 F4i with a full exhaust, bmc filter, pcIII with a custom map, PAIR valve elimination and my forks are fully equipped with race tech parts and stock rear shock just set up for my weight/riding style and I dust most modern 600's at the track. I even beat a good bit of gsx-r 750's as well. The 1000's smoke me on the straights but I can hang in the corners with those guys no problem. I'm building a track only bike right now that is going to have motor work involved such as high compression pistons with carrillo rods, cams and some upgraded valve train and a lot of other mods so I know I'll crush these newer bikes at the track once I get the bike dialed in. Weight and how you ride plays a major factor in racing whether it be drag or road course. Staying within the power band is key because if you drop below the power band the bike has to get the rpm's back up to the power band area. Just throwing my 2 cents in.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 2wheelfury
Well I personally don't drag race but I do spend a lot of time at road courses and I have an 01 F4i with a full exhaust, bmc filter, pcIII with a custom map, PAIR valve elimination and my forks are fully equipped with race tech parts and stock rear shock just set up for my weight/riding style and I dust most modern 600's at the track. I even beat a good bit of gsx-r 750's as well. The 1000's smoke me on the straights but I can hang in the corners with those guys no problem. I'm building a track only bike right now that is going to have motor work involved such as high compression pistons with carrillo rods, cams and some upgraded valve train and a lot of other mods so I know I'll crush these newer bikes at the track once I get the bike dialed in. Weight and how you ride plays a major factor in racing whether it be drag or road course. Staying within the power band is key because if you drop below the power band the bike has to get the rpm's back up to the power band area. Just throwing my 2 cents in.

I see that you have a custom tune on your bike (PCMIII). I'm assuming you've had it dynoed. If so, how much hp/tq at the wheels?

Quick Reply: Is the F4i underpowered compared to modern 600's?