F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i Toolkit

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i Toolkit

After buying my bike, I noticed there was no toolkit in the storage compartment and was wondering if it's worth getting a genuine replacement, I guess what I'm asking are there any Honda specific or unconventional tools like preload adjusters and what not. Otherwise i'll buy the equivalent tools and make my own kit if it'll save $$. I couldn't find an inventory of the toolkit in my manual so any info would be appreciated.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:11 PM
Default RE: F4i Toolkit

i've never used that kit for anything. If you break down it's not going to help you, because you'll probably need parts, and when you're at home.... Well, if that's the toolkit you use to work on your bike at home, then you shouldn't be working on the bike.

I wouldn't worry about it personally. If you want the kit I'll sell you mine, that's how much it means to me.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:56 PM

Righto then. I'll consider it weight reduction

I still wouldn't mind knowing what tools are in the kit.

Old 12-24-2005, 01:06 AM

I have the tool kit and no owners manual [:@]. It's a very small kit and I'll give you an inventory tomorrow.

Old 12-26-2005, 12:40 PM

I think it contains...

phillips & flat head screwdriver = adjust front suspension
preload adjusting wrench = adjust back spring
2 different size wrenches = take off seat to access battery
feeler gauge = check spark plug gaps
? sockets

I've used my tool kit several times. The special wrench makes it easy to adjust back suspension. I've also broke down and needed jumped. Used the open end wrenches to take off my seat to connect to battery.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:15 AM

I don't have a toolkit either on my used Silver 01 F4i and I attempted to do a sparkplug change about 4 months ago. Well the change isn't difficult but due to the tight space in there the Honda SparkPlug tool/socket does the job adequately and I do believe it is part of the toolkit. But I'm sure you can go out & find a socketwrench that may do just as well. Anyone care to chime in and correct me if I'm wrong?

To workaround that, I happen to know the Store Manager at the local Honda Motorcycle dealer and he gave me the sparkplug socket/tool that should have came with toolkit for free no questions asked.

The other only useful tool might be the rearshock preload spring tool but I never seen what it looks like to evaluate it's worth. I happen to borrow my friends tool which seems to do the job nicely.

Old 12-28-2005, 03:59 AM

i havent used the kit too much. I have it and dont even keep it in my bike. The only tools i still use are the 2 wrenches to remove the rear tire. I dont know if its the same everywhere but to change a tire its damn near half price if the tire and wheel are off the bike. Other than that, i dont find it too useful.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:53 AM

A good word of advice, don't leave home without your toolkit. You will find it useful when you break down on the side of the highway or when your far from home. What are you going to do leave your bike on the side of the road for someone to steal it when you leave. Use that toolkit for a quick patch up or whatever just to make it home. Thats what its for.

Old 12-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Retired Mod

ORIGINAL: decannon04

A good word of advice, don't leave home without your toolkit. You will find it useful when you break down on the side of the highway or when your far from home. What are you going to do leave your bike on the side of the road for someone to steal it when you leave. Use that toolkit for a quick patch up or whatever just to make it home. Thats what its for.
do honda's break down??? just kidding. i honestly dont know why anyone with a toolkit would remove it. unless you just ride up and down the driveway.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:27 PM

I used to be a porsche technitian, so I have all the tools I could ever want, but when im workin on the bike, the tools in the kit do 95% of the work I end up doing, no need to unlock the toolbox

Quick Reply: F4i Toolkit