F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i rpm problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i rpm problem

Hi everyone, I have 03 f4i and I'm having a problem and I'm banging my head against the tank (literally I'm mechanically inept). My bike has this problem where it won't go past 4000 rpms I get no power my top speed is 50. Also the battery keeps dieing and the bike idles low on start up I changed the plugs hoping maybe that would be it but it's still doing it. I checked the fpr by pulling the vacuum hose and there's no fuel in it but could it still be bad? Any help would be appreciated Its my first bike and I really want to get riding again, thanks!

Old 07-02-2021, 04:24 AM
Welcome crew
Received 342 Likes on 318 Posts

Hi CBRMarcus343,

Please take a moment and pop over to the new member area to introduce yourself to the forum.
Where are you from, how long have you been on two wheels, what bikes do you have etc.
We also love pictures.

You pose a very open question!!

Has the bike ever ran properly?
If so have you done anything to it since?
Can you describe exactly what is happening, do you have any warning lights, does the FI light blink indicating error codes?

For it to run properly you need spark, fuel and air. When you changed the plugs, did you check to make sure all plugs were sparking?
Have you check the air scoops for blockages and is the air filter clean?
Are all the hoses connected properly?
Do you have fresh fuel and yes it may still be the FPR? But, could also be the charging circuit Stator / rectifier not providing enough power esp as the battery keeps dying.

If you can provide us with more information we may be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers
​​​​​​​Al

Old 07-02-2021, 10:57 AM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Just a guess/hunch but my first though was rectifier. I don't have a lot of experience with bikes though since I, thankfully, haven't had too many issues with mine.

Welcome aboard!!

Old 07-08-2021, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Al1040
Hi CBRMarcus343,

Please take a moment and pop over to the new member area to introduce yourself to the forum.
Where are you from, how long have you been on two wheels, what bikes do you have etc.
We also love pictures.

You pose a very open question!!

Has the bike ever ran properly?
If so have you done anything to it since?
Can you describe exactly what is happening, do you have any warning lights, does the FI light blink indicating error codes?

For it to run properly you need spark, fuel and air. When you changed the plugs, did you check to make sure all plugs were sparking?
Have you check the air scoops for blockages and is the air filter clean?
Are all the hoses connected properly?
Do you have fresh fuel and yes it may still be the FPR? But, could also be the charging circuit Stator / rectifier not providing enough power esp as the battery keeps dying.

If you can provide us with more information we may be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers
Al
so the problem initially started was that my battery was dead and wouldn't start so I went and got a new battery but it wouldn't start still, so I changed the starter relay and solenoid still wouldn't start, then I changed the stator and rectifier and it still wouldn't start so I thought it was the starter, later I charged the battery and low and behold she starts, I swapped the battery since it was still under warranty and now it starts and I fixed the idle by adjusting the idle **** so it doesn't shut off now. Today I tried removing the new r/r and plugging the old one back in to see if thats the issue but it's still doing it. I also emptied the gas and added new gas plus seafoam but it's still doing it. There's no fi light and the bike before all this started was running fine so I'm so lost. My next guess would be maybe I messed up putting the new stator in. Though I'd imagine the bike would really run at all if I did would it? The air filter is dirty so I ordered a new one but other then that I'm not sure where to go next.