F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i problem...

I have an '05 F4i and went out to start it day before yesterday, and everything was normal. When I turned the key on, it went through it's normal self test, and the fuel pump came on, but when I pushed the starter, it turned for less than a second and everything went dead. Then I turned the key off, and the dash clock came on.

Ever since, when I turn the key on, everything (including the clock) loses power. The headlight and instruments don't come on, the bike has no signs of life. When I turn the key off, the tach cycles and the clock comes back on and remains on.

I've checked the fuses and they all look good. I have after market LEDs all around, and HID headlights, but I've checked the wiring to all of that and it appears to be intact.

Ideas?

Last edited by docrice77; 09-12-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:57 AM

Sounds like there might be a short somewheres.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:05 AM

Yeah, I was hoping for something a little more specific... Like where to start would be nice.

I haven't done any recent work or changed anything, so I don't know what could have caused the sudden change, other than a fuse or a short. Fuses under the seat look good, unless there are some elsewhere that I don't know about.

I'm really not to big on the idea of tracing every wire, so I'm hoping someone else has experienced this same problem...

Could it just be a dead battery? In my experience, they don't die so suddenly, as it was strong the last time I rode, but I could be wrong. I'm gonna go check that...

Old 09-12-2010, 11:48 AM

check your battery and battery connections

Old 09-12-2010, 12:23 PM

Yeah, that's where I'm at now. It's on the charger, so hopefully that's all it is. I'll feel like a jackass if it's something that simple...

Old 09-13-2010, 01:21 PM

Ok, it's not the battery. Glad I didn't miss something like that, but no idea where to look now.

Not the battery, the fuses by the battery box, nor wiring for the aftermarket lights.

So where to from here?

Old 09-13-2010, 02:27 PM
October 2011 ROTM

So it only happens when you turn the key on and off?? Then I would start looking at the ignition wires.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:02 PM

The first time it happened, it was normal when I turned the key on, then I pushed the starter button, the starter turned over for a fraction of a second, then everything cut out and never came back.

As it sits, the clock is on. When I turn the key to on, the only thing that happens is the clock goes off, as well as everything else staying off.

When I turn the key back to off, the tack needle cycles to the top of the band and back, and the clock comes back on.

I'll check ignition wiring next.

Anyone have any other ideas? I can't leave it in pieces in the garage, so the less I have to take it apart and put it back together to try different things, the better. Thanks

Old 09-13-2010, 03:22 PM
October 2011 ROTM

I would also take apart the starter switch on the handle bar to see if there and any melted wires. its only 4 screws so pretty easy to do.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:20 PM

not sure if this will help, but when my rr went it would cycle an reset the clock an guages when i tried to start it, but for me it would at least try, something to look into though

Quick Reply: F4i problem...