F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i performance modification ?'s

Old 02-23-2008, 05:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i performance modification ?'s

So I have been losing sleep over what i want to do with my bike. I have an 01' CBR f4i that is relatively stock, only upgrade are cosmetic anyway. I keep thinking I want a 954 or a 1000 bike, but I went digging through the F4i photo gallery and had second thoughts, lol.

My biggest thing outside visually enhancing my bike is performance, I like performance whether I will use it or not. Realistically, you will almost never NEED that extra get up and go offered on a bigger bike, but its nice to know its there.

What kind of difference would i be looking at in performance with a sprocket change? -1/+2 seems to be pretty common around here, that will give me more off the line and just better accel at the loss of top end with is really pointless in all honesty. I'm not really sure how to ask this about a sprocket, but you read that 1000's can do a "power wheelie" where the bike simply lifts off unders its own acceleration power. I'm guessing a sprocket change would move my bike to an open throttle take off more like that? I don't necessarily want my bike to stand up on open throttle, but I'm curious as to how it will react with new sprockets.

Power Commander, we have all heard about it, generally know what it does, but DOES IT WORK? I really am not jumping up and down to go drop $300 or whatever it is to get it. I know some of you guys have it, be honest, do you like it and was it worth it? Apparently its most effective if you buy it coupled with a custom exhaust to compensate for the back pressure change?

I'm sure theres performance modifications I don't know about, if you know of anything that works or that you have and have been pleased with throw it up here.

If I decide to keep this bike and work on it, I'll have plenty of questions, but theres probably no better resource on the internet than these forums for my bike

Thanks

Old 02-23-2008, 06:45 AM
Default RE: F4i performance modification ?'s

About 2 months ago I bought a power commander because i heard all the hype about it. At first I could not believe that a small unit could do so much, performance wise to a bike. I installed it when I first got it and I must say it was money well spent. The first thing you notice is how smoother the bike runes and how sensive and quick responsive the throttle is. It was amazing. it was like i was riding another bike. One big thing that suprised me was the amount of power at low revs. I love it so much that I also bought the accesories which include the ignition module and the short shifter. I recommend the power commander to anyone who want a faster and agile bike without playing on the inside of the motor.
Be careful from where you buy your power commander, if you are ever interested in purchasing one go to a dealer who is certified in sell power commander eg fuel moto
i have not heard anything from anyone that have said anything bad about this unit. The unit is also a plug and play so once you disconnect the unit the bike goes back to it's factory setting as normal

Old 02-23-2008, 08:37 AM

I have an '04 that ive installed a commander, d+d full exhaust, BMC a/f and have had it dynotuned....wow what a differance from the day I got the bike. much much smoother throttle you can feel thru thee range. I would def recommend it.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:45 PM

Inc power commander. What exactly does the ignition and short throttle do?

Old 02-23-2008, 07:46 PM

while im not trying to say anything bad about the power commander, dont forget that to get the most out of it, you usually have to get a custom map put on it from a dyno, which costs a couple hundred bucks

Last edited by axsys; 12-18-2014 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:24 PM

what the ignition module does is you can crank the engine to get more power (on the dyno of course)If you have a modified engine an ignition module is your best friend.You have now the power to modify input and output on each cylinder and also correct the amount of power you need when riding. All it does is it makes the bike work the way you want it. It is a bit more expensive than the power commander, but I think it is highly worth it if you like having control over the whole power output of your bike What the short shifter is a unit that is connected to the gear shifter. It is an clutchless up shift. So when you want to change gears you do not need to use the clutch nor do you need to release the throttle. You can change gears at full throttle. The short shifter is manly used on the race track or if you want to leave the competion behind. to install a quick shifter you will need an ignition module and the power commanderand as they all need to work together as one to produce and fast kick *** bike.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:10 PM

Hummm, the short shift sounds interesting, its not something I really NEED I suppose, but toys never hurt anyone. I'll have to go look around here and find somewhere that Dyno tests, theres got to be someone. Thanks for thaking the time to fill me in roman, I know its been discussed a lot but the posts I found were pretty much "flame suit inc", "flame on", "your gonna get flamed", FOR THE HUNDREDTH TIME....".

Old 02-24-2008, 12:50 PM

doing a 520 conversion will give you more accelerated power. You can however get the bike to stand up by just bouncing on the front forks and whacking the throttle open in stock form. a 520 conversion is a really good thing to do for better low end power.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Jump1979man

doing a 520 conversion will give you more accelerated power. You can however get the bike to stand up by just bouncing on the front forks and whacking the throttle open in stock form. a 520 conversion is a really good thing to do for better low end power.
Im a bit timid about it because I don't want to over do it, but I can get it to stand up right now np. I just wondered if that conversion to a different sprocket would cause the bikes acceleration beahvior to act more like a 1000s as far as wanting to stand up on its own. Im not sure what to expect beyond the fact that I will accelerate faster. BTW, do I need a different chain to go with the sprockets, i'll replace it at the same time just because its recommened to do so, but do I need to get a different actual chain type/model?

Old 02-24-2008, 10:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Exitwounds

So I have been losing sleep over what i want to do with my bike. I have an 01' CBR f4i that is relatively stock, only upgrade are cosmetic anyway. I keep thinking I want a 954 or a 1000 bike, but I went digging through the F4i photo gallery and had second thoughts, lol.

My biggest thing outside visually enhancing my bike is performance, I like performance whether I will use it or not. Realistically, you will almost never NEED that extra get up and go offered on a bigger bike, but its nice to know its there.

What kind of difference would i be looking at in performance with a sprocket change? -1/+2 seems to be pretty common around here, that will give me more off the line and just better accel at the loss of top end with is really pointless in all honesty. I'm not really sure how to ask this about a sprocket, but you read that 1000's can do a "power wheelie" where the bike simply lifts off unders its own acceleration power. I'm guessing a sprocket change would move my bike to an open throttle take off more like that? I don't necessarily want my bike to stand up on open throttle, but I'm curious as to how it will react with new sprockets.
you can power wheelie an f4i. in first and second. going -1/+2 isn't pointless, in that the acceleration benefits will be seen a lot more often than the extra 10 mph you lose on the very top of the range. doing 140 on the freeway is gay, anyway. the bike is going to accelerate faster, and it'll stand you up faster than the OEM gearing.

Power Commander, we have all heard about it, generally know what it does, but DOES IT WORK? I really am not jumping up and down to go drop $300 or whatever it is to get it. I know some of you guys have it, be honest, do you like it and was it worth it? Apparently its most effective if you buy it coupled with a custom exhaust to compensate for the back pressure change?
you have it backwards, the backpressure change caused by aftermarket exhausts sometimes requires remapped fuel maps to take advantage of the new parameters of the exh system. It usually means that the bike will make more power, higher in the powerband as the system gets less restricted. the power commander allows you to change the fueling to a) make more power, b) smooth out the powerband. both are worthwhile. for the most part though, bikes w/ a slip-on and an air filter aren't going to see much peak hp difference without a PC, but even with one, you're not going to make 20 whp more than a stock bike. i think they're a worthwhile mod, especially since low-mid range torque is a commodity on inline-4 bikes, especially in everyday riding.

I'm sure theres performance modifications I don't know about, if you know of anything that works or that you have and have been pleased with throw it up here.

If I decide to keep this bike and work on it, I'll have plenty of questions, but theres probably no better resource on the internet than these forums for my bike

Thanks
you talking power only? or suspension, weight, brakes, etc?

as far as power adders, you can go with a full exhaust system, which will probably be good for a decent gain with a custom dyno tune. but beyond that, there isn't much else. but like you said, do you need much more?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F4i performance modification ?'s