F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4I not starting.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4I not starting.

Hey guys.
I bought a 2001 f4i almost a month ago. the previous owner had it stored in his garage and had it winterized. when I bought it, it was running fine and everything. I even had rode it a few blocks. All of a sudden it won't start but its still turning over. The reserve thingy is showing up so I just went out and got about 7 litres of gas and filled it up a bit more. The reserve thing still shows up, not sure how it works and all but yeah. I live in Toronto so the weather has been pretty cold but I had it started when it was about -15 out a week or so ago. Today its around 0 degrees and its not starting. Its filled up with gas and I'm not sure what to do. It has also been hooked up to a battery charger for a week or so now and all the electrical is working fine. Please reply with any suggestions!

Thanks, Jack

Old 02-02-2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash
The bike would not start after connecting a new exhaust. I took off the new exhaust and tried to start it but it did not start and tried with no exhaust and it would not start. The only thing I did was pull on the o2 sensor so i'm assuming it dissconnected something. When I try to start the bike it turns over but does not let me apply any gas. It's like my kick stand is down and it won't start.

I believe the above is the right answer but I have no clue where this tank wire is. If someone could please provide a picture or maybe a "How to" that would be great.

I ride a 2002 f4i cali model.

This is the o2 sensor
I too have a similar problem. When I took it in to get checked the service tech thought my battery was way to low and needed to be replaced. I suggest checking to make sure you have a spark and see if your plugs are fouled.
The reserve light will still be on for awhile till it realizes theres more gas in it. Maybe the gas that was in the tank went bad. Another suggestion is to drain all the gas out of your tank and replace it with brand spankin new gas.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by jackv
Hey guys.
I bought a 2001 f4i almost a month ago. the previous owner had it stored in his garage and had it winterized. when I bought it, it was running fine and everything. I even had rode it a few blocks. All of a sudden it won't start but its still turning over. The reserve thingy is showing up so I just went out and got about 7 litres of gas and filled it up a bit more. The reserve thing still shows up, not sure how it works and all but yeah. I live in Toronto so the weather has been pretty cold but I had it started when it was about -15 out a week or so ago. Today its around 0 degrees and its not starting. Its filled up with gas and I'm not sure what to do. It has also been hooked up to a battery charger for a week or so now and all the electrical is working fine. Please reply with any suggestions!

Thanks, Jack

Where in Toronto are U located?

I sound like it could be the battery...I had the same problem when I bought my bike from it previous owner. I went and bought a battery tender and after charging, I was able to fireup with no problems

Old 02-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Banned
Default plugs

if its turning over but not starting or right at the point were it would kickover then ur spark plugs are done,

take em out and check for a spark. if ur getting a slight spark then take a wire brush to them and clean them up..

if u want to buy new ones it about 12 buck each but i would check yours..

my bike was winterized and i drove it from my buddies house to my house so start working on it b4 spring- after 1 or 2 start ups it wouldnt kick over turned out to be the plugs.. take u about 30 minutes to pull them all out and check em.

the gas indicator shows u have no gas still because it takes about a mile or so to adjust to new fuel.. once u get her going it will show u have gas..

good luck

Old 02-02-2009, 09:36 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to go out and buy a battery tender because I need one anyways and I'll hope that does it. If not I'll have to check out the spark plugs. Thanks again

And I'm located in Etobicoke close to Brownsline and Horner

Old 02-02-2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by jackv
Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to go out and buy a battery tender because I need one anyways and I'll hope that does it. If not I'll have to check out the spark plugs. Thanks again

And I'm located in Etobicoke close to Brownsline and Horner
Check out Rider Choices at queenways & Dixie...I think you can get one for $40.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:55 AM

is fuel pump working when you turn key?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 AM

I'd bet money it's the plugs. I did the same thing twice already since owning my bike in the cold weather in Nebraska. It' been anywhere from 5 to 50 degress and as long as there isn't ICE/SNOW on the ground I'm goning to be out riding. I loved hearing the rev in the garage and would open that baby up or start riding 30 seconds after startup. I noticed some hesitation around 6-7k when they were still cold and can bet that's when I fould the plugs. These bikes have a basic FI system and the sensors need time to warm up to get the proper air/fuel mix.

I now leave my bike sit till I start seeing the temp gage get going. I don't have an exact temp I go by but can tell you since I've let it hit over 130 before riding or reving I haven't had a problem.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:28 AM

Try checking your battery.. A friend of mine had the situation and he found out that the previous owner put in the wrong type of battery that's why it wasn't starting.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:12 AM

Update:

So I got the battery tender and had it hooked up for several days. Still not starting. Tried numerous times as well as we tried bump starting it many times. So I guess its the spark plugs? Are they easy to install myself? Does anyone have a link to a 2001 F4I manual that I can find online?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: F4I not starting.