F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i No Spark! Any Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you test if the Cam sensor is good or not?

Old 07-12-2010, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by kameram
How do you test if the Cam sensor is good or not?
If you have a multimeter there are two things that I know you can do.
First check the actual voltage coming out of the cam sensor. The cranking voltage should be around 0.7v (on my bike this is what it was so I was really confused at first)
The second thing you can do is check the resistance of the sensor. Just stick the multimeter leads into both wires and check the ohms on it, the cam and crank sensor should be around 400-500ohms. Mine was at like 1500 ohms so I knew that it was junk

Old 07-12-2010, 03:09 PM

Is the ohm test while cranking?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by kameram
Is the ohm test while cranking?

Nope just unplug the connector and stick those leads in there. You should get a reading. If I remember correctly my new cam sensor was at about 480ohms. Yours should be around there.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:58 AM

ok i read through this post and i am going through the exact same issues. i replaced the ignition pulse generator and got nothing and i just replace the cam sensor with a used one and still nothing. Both cam sensors read about 515 ohms but the peak voltage when i am cranking it over is only .1 volts. Any ideas? I thought it was the cam sensor because when i drained the oil it was very much contaminated with gas and I know that can cause those to go out.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2wh33lsoffury
Nope just unplug the connector and stick those leads in there. You should get a reading. If I remember correctly my new cam sensor was at about 480ohms. Yours should be around there.
I wish I found this post earlier ... thanks this is very helpful, will have a go at these tests, as I'm having exactly the same problems ...

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...arting-130421/

Old 09-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Default (ALMOST There ....) - It's the Fuel Pump

Originally Posted by aranciata-oz
I wish I found this post earlier ... thanks this is very helpful, will have a go at these tests, as I'm having exactly the same problems ...

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...arting-130421/
[UPDATE]

OK ... I finally got traction in my investigations and process of elimination ...

After eliminating these as causes of problems:

- Bank Angle sensor
- Kill Switch (apparently they can get stuck)
- Cam Pulse Generator (resistance reading was 450ohms)
- Fuel Cut off relay
- Engine Relay

... it turns out the culprit is PROBABLY the FUEL PUMP ...

... keeping in mind the 3-pole connector to the fuel pump cable was originally inadvertently interrupted by my good self when trying to connect the GI Pro X gear indicator harness, I decided I would give the fuel pump a good few whacks with the hammer (without destroying the pump obviously .. ) ....

... lo and behold ... after the fuel pump whacks, the engine fired up !!! .... albeit for only 3-4 secs, before it spluttered back to death ...

Thing is, my suspicion is now confirmed ... the only variation I've introduced to the previously perfectly working bike (it's a standard engine btw, no Power Commanders etc etc), which was the fuel pump cable (which supplies power to it, as well as transmits fuel reserve sensor reading back to the speedo gauges), ultimately means the fuel pump has somehow been affected by mistakenly connecting the GI Pro X harness to its cable.

My remaining question is ... what could go wrong with the fuel pump (mechanical? electrical?), especially since it still primes when the ignition is switched on? BTW my tank is 1/3 full ie. this is not a case of the pump not finding any fuel, but the pump is almost definitely not supplying adequate fuel to the engine. Something isn't working in the pump, or perhaps it is contaminated (unlikely though, as this would have showed up before my GI Pro X work).

Anyone with a good knowledge of how this (or any other) fuel pump works, please feel free to offer your expert opinions .... thanks!!!!

Old 10-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Default My F4i FINALLY Started again ..

Originally Posted by aranciata-oz
[UPDATE]

OK ... I finally got traction in my investigations and process of elimination ...

After eliminating these as causes of problems:

- Bank Angle sensor
- Kill Switch (apparently they can get stuck)
- Cam Pulse Generator (resistance reading was 450ohms)
- Fuel Cut off relay
- Engine Relay

... it turns out the culprit is PROBABLY the FUEL PUMP ...

... keeping in mind the 3-pole connector to the fuel pump cable was originally inadvertently interrupted by my good self when trying to connect the GI Pro X gear indicator harness, I decided I would give the fuel pump a good few whacks with the hammer (without destroying the pump obviously .. ) ....

... lo and behold ... after the fuel pump whacks, the engine fired up !!! .... albeit for only 3-4 secs, before it spluttered back to death ...

Thing is, my suspicion is now confirmed ... the only variation I've introduced to the previously perfectly working bike (it's a standard engine btw, no Power Commanders etc etc), which was the fuel pump cable (which supplies power to it, as well as transmits fuel reserve sensor reading back to the speedo gauges), ultimately means the fuel pump has somehow been affected by mistakenly connecting the GI Pro X harness to its cable.

My remaining question is ... what could go wrong with the fuel pump (mechanical? electrical?), especially since it still primes when the ignition is switched on? BTW my tank is 1/3 full ie. this is not a case of the pump not finding any fuel, but the pump is almost definitely not supplying adequate fuel to the engine. Something isn't working in the pump, or perhaps it is contaminated (unlikely though, as this would have showed up before my GI Pro X work).

Anyone with a good knowledge of how this (or any other) fuel pump works, please feel free to offer your expert opinions .... thanks!!!!
Good news ... finally got it started ... well my mechanics at the workshop did anyway ... they did all the electrical diagnostic tests (nothing faulty found) but after cleaning the spark plugs from the engine flooding, the engine thankfully started again. At the end of the day they couldn't find the root cause, though they did suspect a slightly leaking coolant hose to the fast idler unit may have caused the idler to not open up, but that doesn't explain the engine flooding with fuel when attempting to start it. During the GI Pro X gear indicator installation, I had obviously triggered something that was serious enough to cause a component not to work, but not serious enough to damage anything.

Anyway, I'm happy to have the bike running again, but I can't help thinking my original mistake of hooking up the GI Pro's 3-pole plug to the fuel sensor / fuel pump connector may have triggered something, since the bike has not played up at all for the past 2 years. Healtech (the GI Pro X supplier) told me they don't believe an incorrect connection will trigger any problems, but that was the only variable I could find in my own installation ...

Regarding the operation of the GI Pro X itself now it's installed, it works brilliantly on the CBR600F4i - it was worth the effort!

Phew ... so glad to have my Miss Red back up and running ....

Thanks to everyone here who've contributed ....