F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

f4i mpg low 30s?? also chain noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f4i mpg low 30s?? also chain noise

my f4i is getting low 30s with mostly highway and a little city. i don't drive like an a-hole. usually cursing at 80 in the carpool lane. i did the math and I'm getting about 31-33 mpg. I do want to get a k&n filter and NGK spark plugs. Only mods I've got are a two bros slip on and an APE CCT. I've tried running 87,89,91 octane and i get the same gas mileage with all. Ive put fuel injector cleaner in and no change. please help if you can

also. I've got a ticking noise that sounds like its coming from the chain almost. its not skipping teeth and its not to tight or to loose. i can move it up and down about an inch. its not a normal chain tick like with a bicycle when you roll it. not sure how to describe it. ill try and take a video when I'm near the bike

Old 02-06-2012, 04:10 PM

That's pretty good gas mileage really, Mine does around 21-25 mpg. But I have -1 +2 sprockets. 30 is the norm for these bikes.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 PM

What kind of injector cleaner did you run, some are better than others? How many miles are on the bike?

Old 02-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hockeyryan
my f4i is getting low 30s with mostly highway and a little city. i don't drive like an a-hole. usually cursing at 80 in the carpool lane. i did the math and I'm getting about 31-33 mpg. I do want to get a k&n filter and NGK spark plugs. Only mods I've got are a two bros slip on and an APE CCT. I've tried running 87,89,91 octane and i get the same gas mileage with all. Ive put fuel injector cleaner in and no change. please help if you can

also. I've got a ticking noise that sounds like its coming from the chain almost. its not skipping teeth and its not to tight or to loose. i can move it up and down about an inch. its not a normal chain tick like with a bicycle when you roll it. not sure how to describe it. ill try and take a video when I'm near the bike

No point in getting a K+N filter unless you are also going to fit a power commander to adjust the fuelling. High flow filters just makes the bike run lean, probably losing you power. If you fit the PCIII then even then the power increase is miniscule. You'd be better off going for a dump before you ride, the weight loss will offer you them performance increase.

If you are using a non OEM front sprocket then most lack the rubber noise dampener you get on Honda front sprockets, when you push the bike around or ride at slow speeds you can hear the chain clinking on the front sprocket. It could be this? If so, it is normal and nothing to worry about, just a characteristic of non OEM front sprockets without the rubber silencers.

I get 39 miles per US gallon on my daily commute (mostly 80mph fast roads, bit of city work). Fast countryside runs can get it down to about 25mpg if really caning it.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 PM

I don't know how old your chain is but it could be in need of replacing. Mine "ticked" as I rode. Replaced it and nothing.
Gas wise, I got 125 miles on a tank on 91. Went back to 87 and I now get 145:

Old 02-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnyBrago
No point in getting a K+N filter unless you are also going to fit a power commander to adjust the fuelling. High flow filters just makes the bike run lean, probably losing you power.
What he ment to say was no point in getting a k&n unless you just want a filter you can clean instead of replace. A k&n on an F4i will not affect power, a/f ratio or anything else in any way. At all.
Originally Posted by jveach
That's pretty good gas mileage really, Mine does around 21-25 mpg. But I have -1 +2 sprockets. 30 is the norm for these bikes.
And this guy is smoking crack. All freeway at 80-85mph these bikes will do 50mpg. I do a mix of half freeway and half street and get 45mpg. Either your bike is severly out of tune [plugged up air filter, old spark plugs, bad cat if you have a cali model or 06 model] or the fuel pressure regulator is on its way out.
EDIT: almost forgot you mentioned chain noise. I bet its got a tight spot somewhere and thats affecting the mileage too. 1" slack is just a bit too tight for the f4i, the factory wants 1 1/4"

Last edited by boredandstroked; 02-07-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:44 AM

A k&n on an F4i will not affect power, a/f ratio or anything else in any way. At all.
Incorrect.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
What he ment to say was no point in getting a k&n unless you just want a filter you can clean instead of replace. A k&n on an F4i will not affect power, a/f ratio or anything else in any way. At all.

And this guy is smoking crack. All freeway at 80-85mph these bikes will do 50mpg. I do a mix of half freeway and half street and get 45mpg. Either your bike is severly out of tune [plugged up air filter, old spark plugs, bad cat if you have a cali model or 06 model] or the fuel pressure regulator is on its way out.
EDIT: almost forgot you mentioned chain noise. I bet its got a tight spot somewhere and thats affecting the mileage too. 1" slack is just a bit too tight for the f4i, the factory wants 1 1/4"

So your telling us you are special and get well over 200+ miles out of a tank of gas, when No one else ever come close to that? the gas tank is 4.8 gal, 4 of which is normal tank .8 is where you are when reserve comes on. Most everyone gets between 120 and 150. So how do you get over 200?

Edit: I had it wrong, 0.9 is the reserve, so 3.9 is the normal fuel until reserve light comes on

Last edited by jveach; 02-08-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by jveach
So your telling us you are special and get well over 200+ miles out of a tank of gas, when No one else ever come close to that? the gas tank is 4.8 gal, 4 of which is normal tank .8 is where you are when reserve comes on. Most everyone gets between 120 and 150. So how do you get over 200?

He said in another thread that he also gets 10k out of a pilot pure rear tyre , most people get half that.

Slow comes to mind.

I'm guessing he also has a K+N filter so his bike is running lean .

Last edited by DonnyBrago; 02-08-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by DonnyBrago
He said in another thread that he also gets 10k out of a pilot pure rear tyre , most people get half that.

Slow comes to mind.

I'm guessing he also has a K+N filter so his bike is running lean .

He may just have sprockets as I do, and no speedo healer and thinks his speedo and mileage are still on par. Mine use to say I would go around 175 miles before needing more gas. But it's mileage rate is way off, heck it said I was doing 100mph just to be really doing 75mph.

Other than that, he may have just gotten a magical bike, I don't know.

Quick Reply: f4i mpg low 30s?? also chain noise