F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i with a miss and getting bad gas milage

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i with a miss and getting bad gas milage

Allright fellas, I made a thread about a week ago and I got zero responce. Here was my frist post:

"This just started happening maybe a few days ago. I will start mybike up and let it warm up for about 2 or 3 minutes before I start riding it and when I do it is missing. I will ride it down the street and it still misses. It has to be fully warmed up and I have to go about 2 miles before it clears up. It is getting fuel but no spark on one of the cylinders. What could this be? it never did it before."

So now we are up to date, last weekend I went out for a ride and it was only running on 2 cylinders when I first started it up. Ran it for a little while and it cleared up again. But when I was driving home tonight the miss is starting to get worse, it starts to miss just while i am going down the road prolly around 3-5K rpm. In the high revs it's fine. I make 2 highway trips a week for 100 miles one way and I am getting around 28-29 mpg crusing at 8K which reads around 96 mph. The only performance mods I have are a K&N and a yosh pipe. It does run rich so I am going to pull the spark plugs this weekend and see how they look. Any other ideas would help.

Brian

Old 08-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Default RE: F4i with a miss and getting bad gas milage

Hmm, you said it, I was going to suggest checking your spark plugs.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:36 AM

it is even worse now. Drove to work this morning, a good 100 miles and towards the end it just kept dropping a cylinder then firing back up going down the interstate. Ijust hope I make it back.

Brian

Old 08-02-2007, 08:27 AM

lol Maybe you should give it a break until you check it out. Running rich I'm gonna bank that it's something to do with spark and probably due to your spark plugs.. Either that or you're not getting enough air and your air filter is clogged, but I doubt it since you have a K&N lol.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad coil?

Old 08-02-2007, 11:14 AM

check coil packs. You really need to give it a rest til u figure it out or your gonna be walkin.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a temporary fix you could try putting seafoam in the tank, that might clean things up to let you take it home!

Old 08-02-2007, 02:01 PM

I'm not sure if Seafoam would temporarily fix anything, it definately wouldn't hurt anything either though. But I don't think there's any fuel delivery issues if he's running rich.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:03 AM

Also check your battery sounds like the same thing that happened to my when my battery was toast...

Old 08-03-2007, 06:14 AM

Something else to chew on is when you are running small mm plug wires they sometimes can cross current and detonate at irregular times and seem like it miss firing. I ran into this problem in my race car. Not promising anything but just something else to check.

Quick Reply: F4i with a miss and getting bad gas milage