F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

f4i hesitating

Old 03-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f4i hesitating

recently did the valve shims. I still get a ticking noise as rpm increases but some say its normal. what do you say?

New Rotella t6 oil and filter
spark plugs
ape cct

well anyway I went for a 2.6hr ride, 120miles, and she is doing well. The problem I first became aware of was the hesitation in first. When I give a good twist after the clutch is released, or when it is about to be completely released, it would stop in its tracks, no revving, it just sits there, even with full twist.

Then as I am in a nice roll and have rpm at 2k and give it a twist, it would do the same, and as I look at the speedo, you will see it slow down, like cutting the fuel supply.

I used to be able to pull the front end up with feathering the clutch but cannot right now

When I am in RPM range of 4-5k and up, there is no problem (although I feel it should be pulling a big harder, or maybe it's just the time I spent on the dirtbike)

Last edited by shok47; 03-13-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:40 PM

Maybe you've got a bad coil, do these bikes throw codes for misfires? Perhaps your fuel pump is taking a dump, FPR is going bad, or clogged injectors. Have you tried running a good fuel injector cleaner through it?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 PM

I will run some lucas oil injector cleaner and see how that goes. Then I will test the FPR

Old 03-14-2012, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by SuqMa***
air filter clogged?
nope, fresh cleaned, K&N with oil.

The bike was sitting outside in the barn. throttle body covered with a tshirt, then entire bike covered with bike cover. Tank was left outside during winter for a little bit, ( I know I know....) until I brought it in.

The barn gets a lot of dust blowing around so I'm ganna hope the injector cleaning will help. If not I will check for kinked hoses and the FPR

Old 03-14-2012, 12:07 PM

check fuel regulator and plugs!!

Old 03-23-2012, 09:26 PM

plugs are brand new, but I will check for snug.

Going outside now!

Old 03-26-2012, 01:01 AM

I checked the plugs and wires again. Every plug had no residue on it whatsoever, which I thought was very weird. At first, when I checked plug#4 I thought it was not firing because it was so clean. Then every plug showed the same results, clean as a whistle. Normal????

I forgot to check the FPR by priming the fuel pump and checking the vacuum line to see if any fuel leaked, all I did was pull the line to check for any remains of gas, which was a failed attempt at that. No kinks in any of the hoses.

Ran some SeaFoam in the the tank, should have gotten some 93 fuel at the time.
Brand new battery as well.

I have a feeling it might be because I have been riding the dr350 for some time and have gotten used to the instant pull in every gear, but then again, I feel like lifting the front end up in first gear while feathering the clutch should always work. If sounds as if the rear tire is spinning or just firing but no pull up. I hope its because of the dirtbike because everything pulls nice when opening it up

Old 03-26-2012, 11:58 AM

Well you did just put the plugs in there not too long ago and an engine in good working order won't foul plugs.

The dirt bike could have something to do w/ it. Usually dirt bikes are geared for more low end and have more torque in the lower rpm than a street bike. My f4i feels slow when coming off my cr250, not because it is just b/c of how the power is delivered on one vs. the other.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:01 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Compliment it, to raise its self esteem and confidence. It will hesitate less.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: f4i hesitating