F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i headlights....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i headlights....

Does this mean, there are 2 types of bulbs? if so, if we use the same bulb as the left housing, we should get lights on both bulbs?

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...headlight.html

Old 04-12-2010, 12:03 PM

Same bulb on both sides....H7 i think

Old 04-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

F4i, you only get 1 light at low beam. Both lights when you turn on your brights. It's normal and you'll be told you have a headlight out constantly

Old 04-12-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by redzintimidator
Same bulb on both sides....H7 i think
he's right....h7. and yeah some people wire them together so they both stay on but the only diff between the two is the angle and reflector. so you can achieve the same thing by just leaving the highbeam on all the time but itll shine in everyones eyes. if you really want them both on just get and HID kit then they both go low high on most kits.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with wiring them to both come on is that it will draw way too much current and melt your wires and fry your switch, and possible burn that beatch to the ground. It can be done, but its far more involved than just hooking the two up together. You'll need new wiring and a relay, and will have to bypass most of the factory headlight wiring.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:01 PM

This "40% hi-beam + 100% low-beam" Dutch kit has already been covered in other areas of this forum - just want to say after generally good reviews, I've ordered a kit and will be installing it as soon as I get it:

http://www.veiligmotorrijden.com/

Due to headlight regulations in Australia not necessarily giving the green light to non approved HID lights, I didn't want to risk ripping my standard light housings out (oven baked etc and all that ...) - this 40%/100% thing is the next best thing, and to be quite frank, looking at pics of them, it looks quite good - the difference in the 40% / 100% level when viewed front-on is minimal, much better than constantly being asked / told one of my headlights is out .... I can't believe how STUPID this sort of design in, and it's not just Honda ....

Old 04-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Default Dual Headlight 40% / 100% completed (with Aux LED's!)

Originally Posted by aranciata-oz
This "40% hi-beam + 100% low-beam" Dutch kit has already been covered in other areas of this forum - just want to say after generally good reviews, I've ordered a kit and will be installing it as soon as I get it:

http://www.veiligmotorrijden.com/

Due to headlight regulations in Australia not necessarily giving the green light to non approved HID lights, I didn't want to risk ripping my standard light housings out (oven baked etc and all that ...) - this 40%/100% thing is the next best thing, and to be quite frank, looking at pics of them, it looks quite good - the difference in the 40% / 100% level when viewed front-on is minimal, much better than constantly being asked / told one of my headlights is out .... I can't believe how STUPID this sort of design in, and it's not just Honda ....
Well, the job's done ....

(1) Installed the Dutch dual headlight kit, so I have 40% illumination on my hi-beam, and 100% illumination on my low-beam whilst in normal low beam riding.

My thoughts on this ... it's a good thing - while the much dimmer hi-beam still looks "a bit wrong", it's nowhere near as pathetic as a blacked out hi-beam in normal low beam riding. The main objective though was my visibility for other drivers, and the end result has achieved that.

The only thing that didn't work was the "intensity" controller on the kit (adjsuted by a simple screw) - it apparently is supposed to allow you to adjust the intensity level of the hi-beam under normal low-beam operation. I've emailed our Dutch supply friend on this - he hasn't yet replied. This is however a minor issue - a 40% hi-beam can still be clearly seen, but I personally would prefer to adjust it a bit brighter (being careful not to blind oncoming vehicles).

(2) I've also had the great fortune of installing a pair of simple auxilliary ebay white 3-LED (ebay item no. 170464496682) in the centre grill of the air-ram ducts (I simply clipped the LED onto the grill with a stationery foldback clip) - it was easy to splice the +/- cables into the Dutch kit splicing plugs.

The LED's are seriously brighter than I thought they would be ... but not bright to the point of blinding anyone, but bright enough to be noticed, even in the day. Wow, I'm REALLY REALLY happy with these auxilliary LED's, because I had a pair of halogen spotlights on my previous (naked) bike, which while I kept, I found too big to squeeze anywhere onto the CBR600F4i fairing / frame - so these little high intensity LED's are PERFECT!

Anyway, the bike looks a hell lot more visible now for oncoming vehicles, it has been one of the best things I've done to the bike so far.

I've attached 4 photos - the final product up-close (a good representation of the actual difference in brightness between high and low beam); the next 3 photos are the before, after, and up-closer after shots, as seen by the average oncoming vehicle (but the difference in brightness between the hi and low beam is not as clear in the photo).

So, the items again ...

(1) 40% / 100% dual headlight kit - http://www.veiligmotorrijden.com/ (but question him on the hi-beam intensity adjustement, which didn't work on mine ie. it was stuck at the same 40% level)

(2) ebay 3-LED (white) - item no. 170464496682 (go to their ebay shop and get another newly listed item)

Go for it boys (and girls) .... worth every penny and time effort!

Attached Thumbnails F4i headlights....-dsc_2348-resized2.jpg   F4i headlights....-dsc_2333-resized2.jpg   F4i headlights....-dsc_2334-resized2.jpg   F4i headlights....-dsc_2338-resized2.jpg  
Old 04-22-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
F4i, you only get 1 light at low beam. Both lights when you turn on your brights. It's normal and you'll be told you have a headlight out constantly
I get this ALL the time. I wish they woulda designed it differently lol

Well, the job's done ....

(1) Installed the Dutch dual headlight kit, so I have 40% illumination on my hi-beam, and 100% illumination on my low-beam whilst in normal low beam riding.

My thoughts on this ... it's a good thing - while the much dimmer hi-beam still looks "a bit wrong", it's nowhere near as pathetic as a blacked out hi-beam in normal low beam riding. The main objective though was my visibility for other drivers, and the end result has achieved that.

The only thing that didn't work was the "intensity" controller on the kit (adjsuted by a simple screw) - it apparently is supposed to allow you to adjust the intensity level of the hi-beam under normal low-beam operation. I've emailed our Dutch supply friend on this - he hasn't yet replied. This is however a minor issue - a 40% hi-beam can still be clearly seen, but I personally would prefer to adjust it a bit brighter (being careful not to blind oncoming vehicles).

(2) I've also had the great fortune of installing a pair of simple auxilliary ebay white 3-LED (ebay item no. 170464496682) in the centre grill of the air-ram ducts (I simply clipped the LED onto the grill with a stationery foldback clip) - it was easy to splice the +/- cables into the Dutch kit splicing plugs.

The LED's are seriously brighter than I thought they would be ... but not bright to the point of blinding anyone, but bright enough to be noticed, even in the day. Wow, I'm REALLY REALLY happy with these auxilliary LED's, because I had a pair of halogen spotlights on my previous (naked) bike, which while I kept, I found too big to squeeze anywhere onto the CBR600F4i fairing / frame - so these little high intensity LED's are PERFECT!

Anyway, the bike looks a hell lot more visible now for oncoming vehicles, it has been one of the best things I've done to the bike so far.

I've attached 4 photos - the final product up-close (a good representation of the actual difference in brightness between high and low beam); the next 3 photos are the before, after, and up-closer after shots, as seen by the average oncoming vehicle (but the difference in brightness between the hi and low beam is not as clear in the photo).

So, the items again ...

(1) 40% / 100% dual headlight kit - http://www.veiligmotorrijden.com/ (but question him on the hi-beam intensity adjustement, which didn't work on mine ie. it was stuck at the same 40% level)

(2) ebay 3-LED (white) - item no. 170464496682 (go to their ebay shop and get another newly listed item)

Go for it boys (and girls) .... worth every penny and time effort!
I'm unsure about how it looks during the day, still looks like something is "not quite right" and people will probably always be saying one of your bulbs is about to go out lol. But the night shots look good

And I like those LEDs you put in the vents! I put red ones in mine, but the HID lights are so bright you can barely see them

Old 04-22-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by m3ds
I get this ALL the time. I wish they woulda designed it differently lol

I'm unsure about how it looks during the day, still looks like something is "not quite right" and people will probably always be saying one of your bulbs is about to go out lol. But the night shots look good

And I like those LEDs you put in the vents! I put red ones in mine, but the HID lights are so bright you can barely see them
I would agree they are still "not quite right", but IMO much better than "hey, you one-eyed loser!" ... ... I think if one can adjust the intensity level a bit higher (say to 60%), it will be quite acceptable.

Yes the HID option is so tempting, but I know it will only attract the negative attention of the boys in blue ... so what I have, I'm happy with, and will focus on the main game ... enjoying riding !!!

Old 04-22-2010, 08:37 PM

I would agree they are still "not quite right", but IMO much better than "hey, you one-eyed loser!" ... ... I think if one can adjust the intensity level a bit higher (say to 60%), it will be quite acceptable.

Yes the HID option is so tempting, but I know it will only attract the negative attention of the boys in blue ... so what I have, I'm happy with, and will focus on the main game ... enjoying riding !!!
It does look good bro. About attracting the 5-0 though... they're going to be attracted to your bike regardless. In my area they seem to not bother us, maybe because nobody actually pulls over when they see the lights haha