F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Is The F4i a Good Starter Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is The F4i a Good Starter Bike?

I'm new to the forum and really want to get a CBR but unsure on which one. I really like the 600RR but I'm afraid that might be too much and some guys posted in the new member section that it might be too much for me because I don't have any riding experience. Would the F4i be ok? I'm afarid of dropping the bike or falling off and I hope it doesn't happen, but like someone said on an eariler post, dropping a brand new bike would suck.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:07 PM

im in the same boat as you...i too have no riding experience...but from what i have learned from other f4i owners, they are a great starting bike if you respect it and dont get carried away...that is what im looking for right now,

Old 04-03-2006, 03:15 PM

I started riding when I was 17 (Im now 18.5) on a Ninja 250...I had never ridden a motorcycle before and yes, it wasn't the fastest thing on earth but yes it could still get up and go! I rode the Ninja for about 4 months and sold it, then got my F4i. I was lucky in that I sold the Ninja for $400 more than I bought it for...so...IMO I would start 250, ride it a few months, and then get a 600.

Just my opinion though.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:55 PM

my 05 F4i is my first bike. Had it since October and think it's a great first bike. I bought mine over the RR for comfort and knowing I would not be a track person. I've ridin' several 600's since including my buddies R6 and soooo much tamer than that thing. As everyone says just take it easy and you will be fine.

Old 04-03-2006, 07:29 PM

What the difference between the F4i and the 600RR?

Old 04-03-2006, 09:16 PM

compression

Old 04-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually the compression ratio is the same 12.0:1 for both the F4i and RR. Main differences between them though is of course the underseat exhaust, the higher seating position on the RR (RR you ride on top of the bike, F4i you ride in the bike), higher footpegs on the RR with no rubber grips like the F4i, lower clip-ons on the RR, dual fuel injectors vs single, Unit Pro Link rear suspension on the RR, '05 and up RR's also have inverted front forks with radial mounted brakes, 800 RPM higher redline, larger front brakes, much shorter throw shifter, dual seats vs single, that cool city light and of course the RR gets an actual gas gauge [:@]. There's probably other stuff too but that's about all I can think of off the top of my head. In a nutshell though, RR is more suited for the track and kicks *** doing it, but not for long trips and daily commuting. The F4i is much more comfortable and ergo friendly, and gets better MPG too. Still extremely capable as a trackbike too, just more of an "all around" does everything well kinda bike.

Anyways, I think the F4i is a great starter bike, BUT it still depends on the rider. Some people take to it naturally and just get on and go, and for them I see a 600cc sportbike as a perfect starter bike. There are others though that just don't take to it as well, and are much better off starting on something small and nimble, like a Ninja 250 or Kawi EX-500. The F4i is very forgiving, but you still need to respect the bike as it is still a 100hp beast that weighs 370 lbs dry, so it'll still get up and move with the rest of 'em just fine, and capable of speeds that can get you in alot of trouble. It's hard to judge whether it's the right bike for you or not without knowing you, so you just kinda have to use your own judgement and don't get more of a bike than you know you're capable of handling. If you're still a little shaky, start on something small and get some practice then work your way up. There's alot of different factors that determine how people learn to ride a bike, such as previous experience riding bicycles and how well you did on those, your ability to balance, ability to coordinate your hands and feel simultainously, and keep focused on where you're going, all at the same time. I've seen it with my own eyes people that simply can't do it all at the same time... that's the ones that should NOT be starting on a 600cc sportbike, cuz it's just a recipe for disaster. For me personally, I felt I could handle a 600cc for my first bike, as I've always had great balance and no problems coordinating my hands and feet, so I went and bought my F4i and have absolutely no regrets. Just as I had predicted it seemed to come natural and I got right on and went (of course I practiced in a parking lot for awile for safe measure before going on the street), but I had no problems at all with it. Now almost 1.5 years and 47,000 miles later, still doing great and still love the bike.

Like I said though you're the only one that knows your own abilities, so use your own best judgement to help decide what's right for you. I think you know pretty much what the different bikes are capable of by now, so with a little thought and common sense you should be able to come to a decision pretty easy. Don't be afraid to start on a small bike if think that's what's right for you... they're cheap and you will ALWAYS be able to sell it down the road. Don't get something just cuz it's what everyone else has, or let anyone try and pressure you into getting something you think you might have trouble handling... remember it's your body and your life that's at stake, make it your decision and only yours based on your own judgements.

Just my $0.02.... good luck!!!

Old 04-03-2006, 11:23 PM

This is a great post...ive learned quite a bit from just your inputs...thank you!

Old 04-04-2006, 12:55 AM

Thank you everybody for all of your input on what to get. It has been very very informative. I look forward to the purchase of my F4i in the next few months. Just looking for the right one...i really want yellow and black, possibly an 01-03, if anyone knows about one. anyway, thanks again and stay safe out there!

Old 04-04-2006, 01:20 AM

Great thread!

Quick Reply: Is The F4i a Good Starter Bike?