F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

f4i Fuel tank and reserve

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f4i Fuel tank and reserve

it seems like fuel reserve warning comes on too early on my f4i. When I refill I usually put in 3.5-.3.8 gal. So, I must have another gallon to spare even when all four bars blink for 10 miles. There is a small brace near the tank lid.I never fully submerge it. So I wonder If I should fill in the tank more. What do you guys think? How far off the rim of the fuel
tank opening do you guys fill up to?
By the way, I usually get about 44-45 MPG by the way.
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Old 07-17-2009, 09:18 AM

I typically run the bike all the way to the flashing 4 bars (end of reserve) and beyond. When I fill up It takes around 4 gallons. Also, I fill it until the little brace is just barely submerged.

Your situation doesn't sound abnormal to me.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:28 AM

Hey Ben cbr how do you usually drive your bike to get that mileage? for example do you drive it under 5k rpm's let me know? Also I always fill up my bike all way to the top try to top it off that way it lasts longer.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:13 PM

Thanks guys for the responses. My commute is mostly highway riding, I think that helps with the mileage quite a bit. It is just puzzling based on my mileage of about 44MPG and 4.8 Gal tank size, I should last about approx 210 miles. But all for bars blink right around 160-170 miles from the last fill. I wish the reserve fuel indicator was little more reliable.

I think one of these days, I might just go by the trip odometer and make sure wife and the baby are near with gallon of gas when I run dry! :-)

Old 07-17-2009, 03:11 PM

WHY ARE YOU WORRIED ABOUT FUEL ECONOMY! Screw the Prius mentality! I have never calculated my gas mileage on my bike and I've had it for three years. It is what it is. I ride for the thrill. If I wanted something different I'd have bought a cruiser.

Fill it to the top man! I've gone about 10-12 miles with the flashing bars. I usually fill up every few days though so it doesn't happen unexpectedly. It is so much quicker than filling up a car. I'm in and out of a station in under 4 minutes. I don't even get off the bike.

Update: on 7/17 I filled up in just under 2 minutes.

Last edited by mike and ikes; 07-17-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:34 PM
I Can't Sell On CBRF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you got .90 gallons of gas left for reserve so you proly have 35-40 miles left before it runs dry after the reserve bars come on

Old 07-17-2009, 04:25 PM

I get almost exactly 150 miles before my reserve kicks on after that I am not sure because I usually fill up. Why push it? when you can just stop and fill. But like said above I don't really care how well it does unless its extremely horrible showing something is wrong. I just ride for the fun of it..

Old 07-17-2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by ben_cbr
Thanks guys for the responses. My commute is mostly highway riding, I think that helps with the mileage quite a bit. It is just puzzling based on my mileage of about 44MPG and 4.8 Gal tank size, I should last about approx 210 miles. But all for bars blink right around 160-170 miles from the last fill. I wish the reserve fuel indicator was little more reliable.

I think one of these days, I might just go by the trip odometer and make sure wife and the baby are near with gallon of gas when I run dry! :-)
You should be getting between 38MPG and matbe 45MPG. In mountainous twisties, you'll get more like 50. So for typical riding, 160 to 170 is going to get you to the reserve or a little into it. Pushing out to 200 could risk a dry tank and that's not a good idea with fuel injection, if it can be avoided.

--Paul

Old 07-17-2009, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by nickels
you got .90 gallons of gas left for reserve so you proly have 35-40 miles left before it runs dry after the reserve bars come on
That is if the tank is set up so that you can use all .90 of a gallon reserve. I drained mine completely and still had some in there that I had to dump out the top while shaking the tank. The tank may not funnel all of your reserve gas to the pump.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:31 PM

Heys!

I don't usually get such mpg. Most I've gotten was about 120 before the bars came out (not flashing though). I rare take freeways, so I guess the traffic lights kill all my mpg. Going 40 and more on the 1st doesn't help either lol
But I'm happy with my bike, a lot better than my pick up ))) with 17 gallons

Really, just stop at the gas station whenever you feel it's needed.

Quick Reply: f4i Fuel tank and reserve