F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i fuel pump not priming, FI light stays lit.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 12:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F4i fuel pump not priming, FI light stays lit.

My f4i
Alright, i'm finally desperate enough to make a post. So, the problem in short: my f4i will not start, it does crank, fuel pump not priming, no spark, MIL FI light stays lit.
Long version: i bought an f4i for what i thought was a good price, because it wouldn't start. I thought worst case scenario, burned out ecm. But oh my Gott, the bike is sooooo fubar. I took it apart and, the ignition switch is missing the zener diode alltogether and only has 3 wires (the pink wire is missing), so I'm thinking thar it's a chinesium ignition. The fuel pump is good, i jumped the relay. Both relays are good, the engine stop and the fuel pump relay. The MIL pgm fi light stays lit all the time, except when i flip the engine stop button. I'm not sure that the ecm is bad, because i think it's been flashed to bypass the HISS, because all the anti-theft precausion are missing (4 wires including the pink one from the ignition). Tried to short the diagnostic circuit, the MIL light stays on, no change When i turn on the ignition the HISS stays lit, solid green. I checked for spark and the bike has no spark when crancking. The tipover sensor is bypassed. I've searched the interwebs for answers and most info i find when people get close to fixing the issue, they don't effing post the fix. Has anyone had this issue and what did you do to fix it.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Usually when there is a problem with the ignition switch, the bike has been stolen in it's past. I hope the title is clear for you. I suspect that most people are not willing to get off their wallet and pay the $150 to replace the ignition switch. If you got such a great deal, replace it with a new factory one.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/...bar-top-bridge

Have you measured the voltage on the Bank Angle Sensor (BAS)? What did you read? Have you tested its operation and you can hear the Engine Stop Relay click when you tilt the BAS to the left or right 60 degrees?

Old 04-26-2021, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. My suggestion is to replace the ignition switch with a factory new one. If you got such a great deal on it, then it will be worth the investment in the new switch. When you say the BAS is bypassed, what exactly do you mean and how do you know it's done correctly?

Old 04-27-2021, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
Usually when there is a problem with the ignition switch, the bike has been stolen in it's past. I hope the title is clear for you. I suspect that most people are not willing to get off their wallet and pay the $150 to replace the ignition switch. If you got such a great deal, replace it with a new factory one.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/...bar-top-bridge

Have you measured the voltage on the Bank Angle Sensor (BAS)? What did you read? Have you tested its operation and you can hear the Engine Stop Relay click when you tilt the BAS to the left or right 60 degrees?
The title is ok, i suspect the bike was made from a former stunt bike. I say this because the panels are also chineseum fibreglass. The BAS is gone, overridden, the wires are cut, two of them spliced together and one left hanging. I would buy a new ignition switch, but the thing is, i'm not sure what good it will do, if the wires from the ecm are pulled out(really bad job, whomever did this, didn't plug the holes, so moisture can get inside the plugs and oxidize the pins). I would also need a replacement wiring harness. I get battery voltage across the BAS wires.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:24 AM

Welcome to the forum. My suggestion is to replace the ignition switch with a factory new one. If you got such a great deal on it, then it will be worth the investment in the new switch. When you say the BAS is bypassed, what exactly do you mean and how do you know it's done correctly?
The BAS wires are cut, and two of them are spliced together, one left hanging (the white black one). I was thinking of buying an ECM together with a complete wire harness (the ecms for sale used, also come with the ignition, keys, and hiss). Do you guys know how to tell if the ECM is dead?

Old 04-27-2021, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

The ECM is basically a computer with a fixed program. Determining if it's dead or not would be challenging even in a Honda shop. It does have 3 ground connections and 1 power connection. On the black connector which is the "A" connector, you should be able to measure continuity from A9, and A20 to the frame. Also on the gray connector "B" on B12 you should have continuity to frame ground. Power to the ECU is provided to it on B6 of the gray connector. Other testing will be based on various conditions of the bike.

Old 04-27-2021, 10:26 AM

The ECM is basically a computer with a fixed program. Determining if it's dead or not would be challenging even in a Honda shop. It does have 3 ground connections and 1 power connection. On the black connector which is the "A" connector, you should be able to measure continuity from A9, and A20 to the frame. Also on the gray connector "B" on B12 you should have continuity to frame ground. Power to the ECU is provided to it on B6 of the gray connector. Other testing will be based on various conditions of the bike.
there is continuity on the ground wires and the power wire has 12v. I have no way of checking it with the ecm connected. One piece of evidence that the ecm is dead is the fact that when i jump de diagnostic circuit, no error codes appear, the FI light stays lit, basically nothing happens. It should do something when you jump the diagnostic circuit, right?

Old 04-27-2021, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

No, if the FI light turns on and stays lit with the jumper in place and the ignition key turned on, then it means that there are no MIL codes in it's memory. This is normal operation.

Old 04-27-2021, 10:57 AM

No, if the FI light turns on and stays lit with the jumper in place and the ignition key turned on, then it means that there are no MIL codes in it's memory. This is normal operation.
Thanks for that. The service manual doesn't do a very good job describing the ecm. I also have an 99 F4 that runs but needs a new chain guide. Is the ignition interchangeable?

Old 04-27-2021, 11:02 AM

The former owner said, the bike ran just fine until about 2 days before he sold it to me. He said he returned from a drive and parked the bike in front of his house, went to get something from inside and 5min later, the bike wouldn't start. To be clear, the engine stop button broke and he put a manual switch on the dangling wires. I removed his bodge and fixed the button.

Quick Reply: F4i fuel pump not priming, FI light stays lit.