F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i Fuel Filter

This is to inform you once again to check the easy stuff first. One day I went to start the bike and it didn't start. I did not know why as I had just rode home the night before. Reading through several forums and trying to diagnose the problem I thought maybe plugs. Changed those, still no start. I was hearing the fuel pump prime when I would turn the key, and everything seemed fine including it not throwing any codes. While knowing that all I need is spark, fuel, and air, I did a compression check which came out exactly as it should. Last thing I checked was fuel. As I said before the fuel pump would prime, so I spoke with a dealership and they said that it could be a broken fin thing in the fuel pump not picking up fuel. I realized one day when messing around with the thing that the bike would run when the tank was lifted up vertically like it said in the manual, but when I would put the tank down it would starve itself, so I thought no way that it could be a filter. Why would a full tank change pressure on a filter depending on the angle? After buying a complete used assembly off of somebody from BARF, I tried that assembly. Well since that used pump sat around for a while it had seized. Having to use my old pump I changed out only the filter. Finally after messing with this bike for weeks, It ran great.

So like I said before, fix the easy cheaper stuff first and remember proper maintenance not only keeps the bike running for you, but keeps your ride enjoyable.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a reason why many of us w/ more experience ask if people have followed proper trouble-shooting procedures as outlined in the factory service manual. ;-)

Sorry you had to chase the prob around the barn but glad you got it fixed. You live - you learn. ;-)