F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i as a frist bike in a long time (well sorta)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i as a frist bike in a long time (well sorta)

Hello All

My experience on a motorcycle is pretty limited, 11 years ago, I had a Ninja 250 for about a year and a half. I laid the 250 down the first day I had it but I never had any accidents after that point. Then I let a friend ride it and he totaled it. I learned the lesson not to let others ride/drive your stuff that day. Last summer I picked up a Vespa 250cc scooter. It will cruise along comfortably at 70mph, but it takes a while to get to that point. I have the standard riding gear I wear on the Vespa, (helmet, jacket, gloves, boots) I'm kicking around the idea of getting an F4i next spring but would like some input on how good of it fit it would be for my experience level. If the F4i is out of my league what other bikes would you recommend? I'm also kicking around the idea of a Ninja 650R or a SV650. If I do decide to get a bike, I'm taking the MSF course for a refresher, before purchasing the bike. I'm kinda hoping for the Honda, since I'm a huge Honda fan, my truck is a Honda, my wife's car is a Honda, even my lawnmower is a Honda, but I have a feeling it's out of my league. Any thoughts on this subject is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Default RE: F4i as a frist bike in a long time (well sorta)

Sounds like you have plenty of experience for a 600. Personally, I like the F4I over a 650R anyday as an all around bike...I don't know alot about the SV650, but a co-worker of mine has a SV1000..First thing you needis a fender to make it look good..Nice bikes...Not as much peak HP as I would have expected, but more lower end torque than our bikes...Personally, I like the powerband on our Hondas and if had to choose again I would buy another F4I...

Old 09-22-2007, 02:49 AM

seems like you'd be fine as long as your level headed (which it seems like you are. . . based upon my own assumption of you :P)

Old 09-22-2007, 06:44 AM

Heh i be the devils advocate there: You might want to wait for the new Kawi Ninja 250.

Not that i don't think you can't handle a 600, i just like what Kawi did for the remodel. Basically looks like a true supersport.

With price rummored to stay @ $3k i don't see how one can go wrong w/ it.

I think it will be my next bike i buy actually.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:07 AM

I learned to ride on a PX 150. I then bought an F4i and never looked back. You'll love the Honda (and have no problem riding it)!

Old 09-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Looks like Im the perfect person to ask this question for considering i have an 05 F4i and the 07 ninja 650R! hehe...

ok so if you want a more sporty bike, faster, not as comfortable, that you can put your knee down if you ever wanted to the f4i is the bike, the ninja 650R is no slouch on power and looks cool too. the banana seat and upright riding position make it very comfortabl and throw in dirt bike handle bars for a uprite riding position. the 650R is also an inline 2 *a bored out 250 engine* so you get better gass milage then the F4i but it's not as powerful as the F4i's inline-4.
also believe it or not the ninja 650R riding around town and taking exits off the freeway and some basicy twisties seems to do the leaning for you it's a really weird feeling just tip the bike and it does the rest very user friendly.

So I guess if you are looking to not commute quite as much and have a fun bike that you could take to the track or a night out i'd get the F4i. if comfort is your main thing with a bike that is new, looks great and im sure will have a wonderful future i cant say enough about it. get the 650R

Old 09-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

oh, and you seem like you are mature enough for either.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:07 PM
Banned

Scooter training is worth its weight in gold. I am the first person to say a total noob should stay away from a 600, but after being on the streets on a scooter, you at least know how to stay safe on a bike. A 600 is now just a question of power. I'd get an SV before the 650R (just a preference), but an F4i is really one of the best all around bikes out there.

Old 09-22-2007, 01:46 PM

have you ever been on a 600? maybe you should try one out first and see if it meets your riding critera. find a friend that will let you do a lap around a mall parking lot or something. you shouldn't get one if you're going to be afraid of riding it because you're more likely to freeze up if something bad is gonna happen.

i'd say go for the f4i though. you can get a used one in good shape for cheap and no one says you have to ride it wound out to 14.5 all the time and go max speed through hairpins just because it's a 600. it doesn't have a lot of low end power and it's not really twitchy.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:02 PM

F4i would be just fine. I had 0 riding experience this yr, didnt even know how to start a motorcycle. Bought an F4i, hopped on it the next day, practiced around my street a bit and that was that. Learned to ride an go in an hour or so, very user friendly, just respect the power because there pretty fast!

Quick Reply: F4i as a frist bike in a long time (well sorta)