F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i Frame Slider Question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i Frame Slider Question!

Okay, everywhere i look, it seems that in order to install sliders on an F4i...you have to drill a hole in the fairing....Can you guys show me some that dont?? Or are they ALL like that? I have been meaning to get some, but i would rather not drill a hole in the plastic..... Thanks guys! Feel free to show what you use and if you remember, where you got them! thanks!!!!

Old 09-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Default RE: F4i Frame Slider Question!

ORIGINAL: YellownBlack

Okay, everywhere i look, it seems that in order to install sliders on an F4i...you have to drill a hole in the fairing....Can you guys show me some that dont?? Or are they ALL like that? I have been meaning to get some, but i would rather not drill a hole in the plastic..... Thanks guys! Feel free to show what you use and if you remember, where you got them! thanks!!!!
If want some that are not just for show.You gotta cut the fairing..I done mine ,and mines only a few weeks old..

Old 09-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Banned

Two methods. Laser and putty. Search for them, some members have spent alot of time explaining how-to.

Old 09-08-2007, 05:45 PM

I have had both kinds drill and no drill, and I have also tested both kinds. The no drill are just crap.even the high dollar ones, theywere like $125 andthey snapped off, put deep scratches in my frame, and tore my fairing.

If you truly want protection, go with the Vortex or something of equal quality. You will need to drill the plastics, but its not that big of a deal. do a search on how to, there are a couple of good methods as mentioned. the laser or putty. I just put another set on my new F4i, and its a nice clean install.

think about it this way, if you do go down with only bolt on, your fairings are going to be trashed, so might as well drill and put a nice looking finished hole in there and save what you can.

Old 09-08-2007, 06:07 PM

great, thanks for the input guys! I'll see what I can come up with!

Old 09-08-2007, 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: YellownBlack
"I have been meaning to get some, but i would rather not drill a hole in the plastic"

I had the same feeling and have gotten the same advice. No-drill sliders are a waste of money. I just have to get all the stuff together before I start. I am going to be very prepared and take my time. I'd rather not put a 2" hole in the fairing and find out I'm 1/2" off. Haha, I'm going to do this ONCE.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:51 PM

I have these "no cut" sliders on my bike.They likely will only protect me from a tip over in the garage or at veryslow speeds. At higher speeds, they would likely break off (possibly destroying the mounting hole in the frame as well as the fairings)

http://www.oesaccessories.com/F4/F4i.html

I am contemplating installing Vortex sliders and was wondering if anyone has tried one of these tools? It seems to make a lot of sense and is much easier that other more complicated methods.

https://cbrforum.com/upfiles/3643/5C...90388A98FF.jpg

Old 09-08-2007, 09:18 PM

You could spend the money on one of those special tools but really its cheaper to use the silly putty method.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the vortex and silly putty. i too was a bit nervous of cutting a hole in my fairings, b/c if you screw up....thats an expensive screw up! but i used the silly putty method and my holes came out 100% PEEEEEEEERFECT! they were so dead on i actually had to file them just a bit. i purchased the vortex and love'em! not only are they protecting you're bike, but they look great doing it!

here's a pic of mine....

Name:  Picture081.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  29.5 KB

Old 09-09-2007, 01:53 PM

Hmmmmm, They do look good. I guess with the season ending, it'll be a winter project...The laser alignment seemed much easier...But I still dont fully understand the silly putty idea. how does that work exactly??

Quick Reply: F4i Frame Slider Question!