F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i "FI" light code 2 MAP sensor fail?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 03:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i "FI" light code 2 MAP sensor fail?

so for the past couple of days, my f4i has been acting up. my bike starts up in the morning normally and fine. i commute 35 miles and had it parked outside for a few hours. when i went to start my bike up to leave, i noticed the "FI" light was on (not blinking, just on) and my idle was really low. under 1000rpm. i go to give it a little throttle to see if maybe it was just some sorta hiccup, but all the engine did was sputtered. i turned the bike off, and turned it back on but this time, FI light was on, but bike was operating normally. i babied it over to my friends house 4 blocks away and stopped there for about 5 minutes. i turned my bike back on, no light, no sputter, no problems.

day 2...

same thing happens. starts up ok in the morning, no fuss no muss. 35 mile commute, left it outside for a few hours. when it was time to leave again, "FI" light was on. same deal. i babied it over to my friends place again. went back outside and FI light is gone.

when i got home, i decided to jumper the diagnostic terminal. at first, i got 1, 2, 9, 10, 13. now i was confused, because there is no code as 10. so i thought maybe its code 23 since it was two long blinks and three short blinks. but theres no code 23 either.

i cleared the code out started up my bike again to catch the codes again. rode it a few blocks, came back. and the only code that showed up was a code 2 MAP sensor.

my manual tells me to first check the pressure with a vacuum gauge, and if its out of range, to check hose installation. problem, i don't have a vacuum gauge.

i am then supposed to check the ECM with a ECM test connector. problem, i don't have an ECM test connector to get voltage readouts.

so what i am here to ask is, what's next? in these cases, is it generally the MAP sensor itself that went faulty? has this happened to anyone before?

any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:08 AM
Default RE: F4i "FI" light code 2 MAP sensor fail?

nobody?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:31 AM

I had this problem before. At the left of your F4i the plastic covering your air duct. There are a some contactors. Plugs them out and spray some contact cleaner in them, reconnect , them back. Do this for the MAP sensor connector as well,it's on the left side,right below the tank. Get a helper as you need to remove the tank....

Old 08-30-2007, 12:07 PM

Yeah. It's happened to me before. The vacuum line simply came disconnected from the sensor. All I had to do was reconnect the line. problem solved.
Have you checked out the sensor and it's connections? Sounds like a weird case though, cause it's intermittent.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 PM

i checked today and the plug and the vacuum lines are both still connected. im only guessing my MAP sensor failed. I'll try cleaning the contacts and see if that helps any.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: hachi

I had this problem before. At the left of your F4i the plastic covering your air duct. There are a some contactors. Plugs them out and spray some contact cleaner in them, reconnect , them back. Do this for the MAP sensor connector as well,it's on the left side,right below the tank. Get a helper as you need to remove the tank....
I only see the MAP sensor connector. The wire from the map goes to towards the back of the bike to the ECM. What other contactors are you talking about?

Old 08-31-2007, 12:41 AM

Map Sensor connector, you got to clean it. While you are at it might as well clean the connectors leading from ECU to the meter> It may caused some funny FI blinking if the connectors were dirty. Hope it'll help....

Old 09-08-2007, 02:06 PM

so i got around to cleaning the connectors with contact cleaner...and it didn't help any. i ordered a MAP sensor and am waiting for it to come in. i'll post up the results when i get the new sensor in.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:35 PM

sorry to bring up an old thread but did you ever fi it by replacing?

Old 08-31-2011, 04:58 PM

Hate to break it to you, but those guys haven't been active here for a couple years now. Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply from them.
My only experience with the FI light was the same as nfamousdevil's, just a vacuum line that had to be re-connected.

Quick Reply: F4i "FI" light code 2 MAP sensor fail?