F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i Cold Start problems

Old 09-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F4i Cold Start problems

I'm having the same problem that drifter had back in 2006 but he never logged back in and I can't find anyone else who has had this problem. The bike will start but immediatly dies and then wont start with out open the throttle completely. It's flooding out. I've replaced the ECT, IAC, ECM, changed throttle bodies. If I hold the throttle and keep it running it will warm up to170-180 or soand then run fine. A little rich but will idle and run pretty good. I've also synced the TB's once warm and they are spot on. It just wont run cold on its own. It seems like it should be the ECTbut its new.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: F4i Cold Start problems

you changed all that? what about the FPR which is pretty common. i know nothing about the bike just shooting ideas out there. i've seen multiple times where a [previous] owner has turned the idle screw up as far as it goes. once they replace the fpr their bike idles at 5k rpm. sorry if you've tried or thought of this already.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:02 PM

ya replaced it twice. I've had the idle screw all over the place. It has to be something with the cold start circuit, IE starter valves or ECT but I just can figure out what. The symptoms are too much fuel and not enough air, but the cause is baffling me. My bro tried to fix it for a year and just gave up and sold it to me cheap. I would almost take it to a dealer but the only one around here is a complete moron.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:56 AM

Is the bike stock?

Old 09-16-2008, 10:00 AM

You did change the spark plugs right?

Old 09-16-2008, 01:22 PM

bike is stock. I've changed everything(or my brother has)but the engine itself. Im gonna check the valves tonight. I can't see them being off enough to do this at only 16k but who knows. I thought injection would be nice but i had less problems out of my carbed F4.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:01 PM

Well I think i probably found the cause, definatly an issue anyways. The valves are wack. the 1st valve on #1 and the 2nd valve on #3 you can't get the smallest feeler gauge through. the 2nd on #1 is .003mm which is bad. I didnt go any further cuz it is dark and Im a little ticked. My brother bought the bike with supposed low mileage but Im starting to think that the PO swapped gauges to say that. I cant see it being this way out of spec at only 16k. whats the procedure for determining the right shim when you cant measure any gap. go smaller and then re-try. that could really suck on time.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:14 PM

imnew to the bike scene and unknowledgeable about some things, but i knowa good amount of car mechanics and bikes aren't far off...but if u ask me i would have said probably the vavles and feeding system were out of wack. If you think it has to much fuel and not enough air then its no doubt drowning it self which is a big factor when its cold.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: That_Guy

im new to the bike scene and unknowledgeable about some things, but i know a good amount of car mechanics and bikes aren't far off...but if u ask me i would have said probably the vavles and feeding system were out of wack. If you think it has to much fuel and not enough air then its no doubt drowning it self which is a big factor when its cold.

oh sure give the answer after the d00d states what the problem is LOL real handy.. j/f witcha newbie.

glad to hear you figured it out.. cant believe you didn't mention who told ya where to look ;D i see how it is playa.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: drdrewdown

ORIGINAL: That_Guy

imnew to the bike scene and unknowledgeable about some things, but i knowa good amount of car mechanics and bikes aren't far off...but if u ask me i would have said probably the vavles and feeding system were out of wack. If you think it has to much fuel and not enough air then its no doubt drowning it self which is a big factor when its cold.

oh sure give the answer after the d00d states what the problem is LOL real handy.. j/f witcha newbie.

glad to hear you figured it out.. cant believe you didn't mention who told ya where to look ;D i see how it is playa.
I already intended to check there just hadnt gotten there yet. Didnt expectthem to be that bad either.You did however point there before anyone else. Thanks man. Its just gonna suck trying to get the ones that are open cuz I dont have a base measurement to use the formula. I guess I will just have to change it with smaller shims and then put it together and recheck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F4i Cold Start problems