F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i aftermarket windshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4i aftermarket windshield

As you know, the wind protection from the factory shield isn't that great on the F4i. Anyone have any suggestions as to who makes a good one as far as wind deflection, quality and fit? Also, will the OEM bolts and retaining nuts work or will I need a new set? Was looking at PUIG, zero gravity etc... Thanks

Old 09-19-2006, 09:21 PM
Default RE: F4i aftermarket windshield

I have a Zero Gravity light smoke Double Bubble on the way. It uses the factory hardware. Puig screens are also great! I have heard good things about Memphis Shades, but I don't like the shape of their "cockpit" screens, and I really don't want a tinted "factory" screen.

Honestly though the biggest improvement comes from a better helmet. If you get a lid that was actually designed in a wind tunnel you will notice a HUGE difference. Switching from my VR-1 to a Shoei X-Eleven was night and day.

Be forewarned that aftermarket "double bubble" windscreens can melt your dash. If you park it in the sun a lot you will need to put some perforated vinyl on the back OR keep a towel to cover the dash when you park.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:21 PM

double post

Old 09-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Retired Moderator

I just ordered a windscreen from these guys...actually a couple of weeks ago. They are cosmetically very cool, but I haven't gotten it yet and can't tell you about their practical characteristics.

http://www.sportbikedesigns.com/

Old 09-20-2006, 01:52 AM

hey bud, i have a Zero Gravity DB on my ride...works great, much better than stock, hardly notice any wind while on highway (fully tucked)

Old 09-20-2006, 05:06 AM

I have a Puig and love it. Bolts right up with the factory retainers.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Blackdog F4i

Honestly though the biggest improvement comes from a better helmet.
Be forewarned that aftermarket "double bubble" windscreens can melt your dash. If you park it in the sun a lot you will need to put some perforated vinyl on the back OR keep a towel to cover the dash when you park.
Well, I already have a Shoei RF-1000 and aerodynamics of the helmet isn't the biggest issue if the windshield can deflect it before it gets to the helmet.
I have heard that before about the guages possibly getting a melted spot on them. I think it's due to the bend in the plastic for the bubble and it acts like a magnifying glass. I never park it outside at all, but if I do on rare occasion, I lay my gloves over the gauges as a habit.
Think I'll go with the puig as I've heard good things about them on other model bikes. Just wanted to see peoples opinion of that brand and others on the F4i.
Thanks for the help guys!

Old 09-20-2006, 07:27 AM

I got a Zero Gravity sports tourer & a ZG double bubble as well. Didn't notice much difference with the sports tourer so have the double bubble on - it looks way cooler.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:15 PM

I picked up my DB off of ZGOutlet on eBay. Heard good things about their 2nds, and since they are quite a bit cheaper than new I am rolling the dice.

Should be here tomorrow.

You are right, you shouldn't be having airflow issues with the RF1000.

Old 09-20-2006, 12:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought 2 from em'

Quick Reply: F4i aftermarket windshield