F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i 02 idle speed problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy F4i 02 idle speed problem

I'm just frustrated again...

We've been having some rain here in SoCal, and my bike was in the stables for quite some time. I checked my maintenance sheet and realized that I need to get oil changed. Not big deal, done this many times already.

Everything went as smooth as always, torqued down the filter and drain bolt, put new oil in.

Of course I got all anxious to see if everything is actually fine. Took her for a very short ride to gas station and on the way back she just would not hold the idle speed. Well, my first assumption was that the battery is dead, at least all symptoms were pointing this out. After getting home I left the bike charging over night.

And this morning: battery is topped off, oil level checked, everything seems to be in order.

Went around a couple of blocks. Temp was 150 ~ 160F. The bike began to just die when clutch is pulled in. Tried to adjust the idle speed with throttle stop screw and it did nothing.

And now I'm just stuck. Don't really know what else to do at this point. Any ideas what it might be?.. I'm sure it's something really dumb that I missed again, or so I hope

Thanks guys!

Old 12-28-2010, 03:59 PM

possibly a bad fuel pressure regulator?? not sure how to check them or replace it

Old 12-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm well now if you played around with the idle speed that might be out of wack. Did the idle adjust any when you played around it?

Doesn't take long for a battery to get drained on a bike if the charging system is out of order. See the voltage is at the battery present and then when the bike is running. Should be around 14 volts when the bike is running

Also what kind of charger were you using? If you were using a normal car charger the amps are probably to high of a load for that battery and you could of boiled out some of the acid and water out.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:13 PM

No, the idle regulator didn't do anything at all actually.
I've got the battery replaced pretty recently, about 6 month ago. It's yuasa battery, so it should hold the charge.

The charger was Battery Tender Plus. I suppose it should figure out the battery capacity on its own.

The bike seems to die at 150-160F, before that the engine is running at about 2k, which is low for a warm up as well.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:47 PM

hmm did you disconnect any air tubes or anything like that? I am trying to think if you have a leak un-metered air going into your bike or something causing it to die or act funny.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 PM

No, I didn't touch anything except drain bolt and the filter. But my bike has been through some major redesign. Maybe some tube came off just now.

I also have PC III USB. Do you know if I can get any logs from it that might help?
Or what areas would you suggest for me to check for air leaks?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:18 PM

Not throwing any codes? Try resetting your ECU

Old 12-29-2010, 02:09 AM

Nop, no codes or anything, just dies after warming up

I played with PC a little bit and downloaded different map to match my exhaust and air filter, though I don't think it will help idle speed.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by 2H company
Nop, no codes or anything, just dies after warming up

I played with PC a little bit and downloaded different map to match my exhaust and air filter, though I don't think it will help idle speed.
We need some more details. Does the bike ONLY die when it gets up to somewhat operating temp? How are cold and other startups? Does it ONLY die when you pull in the clutch at that time? I remember reading somewhere (maybe this forum) about a similiar issue. If all your boots to tb's are tight, idle adjuster screw is fine, and this sypmtom is ONLY happening after warmed, you may want to check the wax unit. (The wax unit is primarily used for cold starts but can mess with idle altogether if out of wack)

As you seem to be confused on what the correct cold and operating temp idle should be, you should be at around 1800-2000rpm at cold startup and when the digital temp starts registering (96-97) you should be dropped to 1500rpm....after that you should be at 1300-1450rpm..

Electrical - possibility
FPR - possiblitiy
ECU - No
Foul plugs or bad gas from sitting - maybe
Id say fpr or electrical as to what he has explained thus far. Given you are not totally messing up with the idle screw

Old 12-29-2010, 04:58 PM

So I've played a bit around with the bike today again and this is what happening:

Cold start - the engine is running at about 2k rpm (usually would always go up to 3k) when reaches 120F the speed drops down to 1.5k

After reaching 160 the RPM are below 1k mark and slowly going down.

The spark plugs have been replaced pretty recently as well. The gas? I'd really doubt that it was the gas, hasn't been that long either.

I'm thinking that it is electrical problem as well. What about this FPR you were talking about?

Quick Reply: F4i 02 idle speed problem