F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Exhaust and Tail-light recs

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust and Tail-light recs

Hey everyone,

I'm getting ready for the bike season and I just don't think I can do another year with my extremely loud slip-on exhaust. Pretty sure the exhaust I currently have installed (used bike) is the Delkevic Mini 8". If I don't seat my hearing protection just right my ears are ringing for days. Any suggestions on a quieter muffler? Not looking for super quiet but quiet enough that I can listen to music or bluetooth coms.

Also looking for suggestions for my taillights. As you can see i've lost most of the light covers over the years and the LEDs themselves are pretty old and dim.

Bike is a 2006. Previous owner did a banana seat conversion on it.

Old 03-25-2024, 10:30 AM

Update: After further research, I'm considering the following:

Exhaust - Coffman's shorty with the baffle in. Youtube vids sound a bit more reasonable than my delkevic. I'd like to get the yoshi rs-3 but $530 is a bit steeper for me than the Coffman ($300)

Tail lights - Hotbodies seems like the easiest and cheapest option at $150 though I will have to paint it. I'm also not sure where I'd put the liscence plate mount. I like the OG tail light with the CompWorks eliminator kit since it looks like its clearer brake light and turn signals. However I don't have the original tail light and blinkers so I would need to purchase those. CompWorks kit is $140 then another $30-50 for a tail light. Also, I'm not sure what is under the existing undertail kit and what the previous owner cut off the rear fender. I might have put my bike up in the garage and remove the old tail kit to make sure the CompWorks will work still?

Last edited by kvreezy; 03-25-2024 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:02 AM
Received 430 Likes on 391 Posts

Unfortunately, all aftermarket exhausts are straight-through design and are loud. Putting baffle/db-killer insert in is last-ditch effort to quiet down exhausts that were never designed to be quiet in 1st place. But this causes more restriction and less power than stock. Personally, if I wanted quiet, I would to with factory muffler.

Old 03-25-2024, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by dannoxyz
Unfortunately, all aftermarket exhausts are straight-through design and are loud. Putting baffle/db-killer insert in is last-ditch effort to quiet down exhausts that were never designed to be quiet in 1st place. But this causes more restriction and less power than stock. Personally, if I wanted quiet, I would to with factory muffler.
I don't think my Delkevic even has a baffle in it. I did get the original exhaust from the owner when I bought it but unfortunately the '06 exhaust doesn't fit on the '03 split seats as discussed in this post i found on here: Possible to fit 01-03 aftermarket exhaust to 04-06 banana seat bikes? - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

I don't think I want/need factory exhaust quiet, just something less loud where my ears aren't ringing after each ride. Listening to the few youtube videos of the Coffman shorty with the baffle in, it does sound quieter than my Delkevic. I also got a comment from a user on reddit that they are able to listen to music and do comms with the Coffman so that is good to hear.

Old 03-28-2024, 12:15 PM
Welcome crew
Received 343 Likes on 319 Posts

In the short term whilst figuring out which silencer to get, why don't you get the baffle for the can you currently have and see how it sounds? c. $50 v $300

Old 03-28-2024, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Al1040
In the short term whilst figuring out which silencer to get, why don't you get the baffle for the can you currently have and see how it sounds? c. $50 v $300
Oh, snap, is there a baffle for the Delkevic Mini 8"? I do not think I have it in the many parts the OG owner gave me. I ended up purchasing a Coffman's shorty that was already delivered. Going to install it this weekend.

Old 03-28-2024, 01:21 PM
Welcome crew
Received 343 Likes on 319 Posts

Not sure what type your was, but the current 200mm exhaust has the following and was supposed to have a removable baffle:

FAQ's

• Is this exhaust road legal?
    NO
  • How heavy is the silencer?
    1.40 kg.
  • Will this fit my bike?
    Honda CBR600F 600 (2001 - 2006) models.
  • Does this have a removable baffle?
    They use the discreet removable baffle system.
  • How loud is this exhaust?
    104dB-106dB static with baffle @ 60% RPM
  • Is the silencer E-marked?
    No
I did look at getting a coffman, but delivery and import to the Uk was expensive, be interested to hear how you get on.

Old 03-28-2024, 02:46 PM
Received 430 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by kvreezy
Oh, snap, is there a baffle for the Delkevic Mini 8"? I do not think I have it in the many parts the OG owner gave me. I ended up purchasing a Coffman's shorty that was already delivered. Going to install it this weekend.
You can get baffles in variety of sizes to fit your exhaust. Measure ID of tubing at outlet and get baffle of matching size. Might need to drill small hole laterally for set-screw. There's 2 settings:

1. quiet = inner end-cap removed
2. quieter = inner end-cap installed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/121623229665

Old 03-28-2024, 03:31 PM

Oof, I wonder if I have the baffle then in my box of parts. I'm going to install this Coffman this weekend hopefully and see how it goes.

I also need to take off my rear cowl to see what the previous owner did with the rear fender. I'm thinking if the lower fender could accept the CompWorks fender kit and a new OEM tail light I'll go that route. Otherwise I think I'll have to go with the hotbodies undertail.

Old 04-15-2024, 09:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kvreezy
Oof, I wonder if I have the baffle then in my box of parts. I'm going to install this Coffman this weekend hopefully and see how it goes.

I also need to take off my rear cowl to see what the previous owner did with the rear fender. I'm thinking if the lower fender could accept the CompWorks fender kit and a new OEM tail light I'll go that route. Otherwise I think I'll have to go with the hotbodies undertail.
I recently did the CW kit and it looks fantastic, based on your current hotbodies kit tho I think you'd need to buy a new taillight (good excuse to buy an integrated) and fender, I bought a used fender off eBay for $60 or so because I didn't wanna hack my OEM. I know I'm late to the party on the exhaust but I went from stock to a carbon Yoshi RS-3 and love it. It's noticeably louder without being absolutely obnoxious and I can still hear music from my Cardo over it.