F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Exhaust swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust swap

Quick question, I was looking at the GP style slip on exhausts $60 on ebay andwas curious if it was something I can literally "slip on" or exchange with my current Yosh slip on? Meaning, if I didnt like it or if it was too loud thst i can simply take GP off and put the Yosh exhaust back on without snynsort of tune ups etc.....? Also, would anyone know any other brand thats similir to the GP or HR1 Riot style?

Old 12-05-2012, 06:30 PM

dude, do some research, hopefully someone here will chime in. im just going to warn you, that you will probably need to buy a air/fuel ratio module.
you are basically getting rid of any back pressure the muffler would create, this is the type that just shoots off to the side after the 2 pipes go into 1 right?
you are also going to be illegally loud so check your local track because it seems alot of them abide by sound regulations, if you take it to the track that is.
bottom line, why do you want it? its illegal, possibly bad for the engine and annoyingly loud and may cause hearing loss.
again hopefully other people will verify or put down my accusations that it will harm the engine by messing up your air/fuel ratio unless you tune it.
sorry i didn't answer your question but im holding your bike in mind and the noise tickets if anyone gets mad about it.

EDIT: sorry i see the hr1 actually does have a canister, the gp ones im seeing from ebay are just no muffler at all though.

Last edited by RudyGT; 12-05-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The answer to your question: Yes, you can just slip one off and then slip the other on. Just remember to hold onto all the mounting hardware.

It's not really recommended. TBH, you're not really gonna hurt anything physically on your motor. Your plugs will probably foul quicker and you'll probably lose power through parts of the rev band and you'll probably get worse fuel economy. Looks/sound are of personal opinion. For $60? I say give it a go and throw up a proper review/video of it so people know what they're getting into it. Doing some research on it, some people seem to actually like the damn thing.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:51 PM

do your own research, because near everything i read says if you remove the muffler it will run lean, and hot metal doesnt like air,
and you will, run your pistons hotter, and burn out your valves. however there are some people writing it won't happen.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:29 PM

I researched. Last thread was over 2 years ago. Id radther not learn the hard way, so I wanted to check if anyone else has decided to give it a go. I apologoze for bothering.

I while the HR1 Riot is expensive $425, Id radther be assured thst my bike wont fail due to a $60 cheap-way out. Maybe selling off my Yosh slip on and using the procededs to purchase a HR1 is my best bet.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:35 PM

As far as sounds concerned I want something legal. Im strictly going the "hidden" exhaust route because I think it cleans the bike up. If the HR1 Riot is safe, realiable, and not so deafening, Ill take it. Expensive, but you grt what you pay for

Old 12-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Given the length of the stock headers on an F4i, I don't think you have to worry about any mechanical failures like valves burning out on you. This has been known to happen, but usually when you run a motor without any head pipes at all. From a performance standpoint, there's probably little to no gain. Sounds like budget-wise a power commander and a dyno tune might be a bit out of your reach for now, but it'd be recommended if you're gonna affect your exhaust flow to this extent. I say sell the Yoshi and get the HR1, I'd choose the Yoshi you've got now over the HR1, but if it floats your boat, I'd take that a million times over the GP one on eBay even if the GP one was free.

It's good to research and ask. There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.. (lol, I jest of course).

Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by shockedimpy
As far as sounds concerned I want something legal. Im strictly going the "hidden" exhaust route because I think it cleans the bike up. If the HR1 Riot is safe, realiable, and not so deafening, Ill take it. Expensive, but you grt what you pay for
You don't have to worry about the muffler messing up your engine. The whole point of the muffler is to quiet your bike or change the tune. Your exhaust will be fine as long as you keep exhaust gas velocity, ie giving your exhaust gas a sense a direction where it should go. If you lose velocity the exhaust gas will just get sucked back into the cylinder on the intake stroke instead of flowing through the headers, mid pipes and out the muffler.