F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Evening riders

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evening riders

sup gangstas! hah, i kid. hope everyone is having a fine evening. just signed up to ask a quick question... this is my first bike and been scouring craiglist for a while now and came across this f4i

2001 Honda CBR600 F4I modded

its been stunted which scares me... but its around my price range. i was gonna go up to about 4k and was really looking for a cbr

taken the msf course and i dont plan on doing anything crazy as of yet.

so from all you knowledgeable people, would you recommend this bike or fly away like a bat from hell?

thanks all!

-mintz

Old 05-16-2012, 08:42 PM

first bike??? you do not need a stunt bike what so ever. that thing will have so much low end power you wont be able to handle it and wreck it within a month. keep shopping around would be my advice.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:50 PM

Not sure what your intentions are or exactly what your looking for but I agree Move along. If you are willing to put down 4k you could get A LOT nicer bike than that and one that will suite you as a new rider ready to ride. This one will need at a minimum a sprocket and chain to make it streetable, and what makes me wonder is why did he say it " shifts pretty good" ?

Keep shopping around you will be happy you did.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

KBB suggested retail value = $2,575 ...& that is for *excellent condition*. No way, no how would I entertain the idea of purchasing the bike in that CL ad for 2800...especially it having been a stunt bike. There's simply nothing about it in the description/pics that merits KBB, much less anywhere close to it. The tank is dented, the front end is swapped (changed bike's geometry), no front fender, holes/broken spots in fairings, no air duct covers, needs correct sprockets (16/46 oem), etc. While location & availability of bikes in certain areas can play a role in resale price, this bike doesn't fit in that category either. Do yourself a huge favor & look for something that is as close to stock/oem as possible.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:02 PM

haha, thanks for the replies guys. ya its gonna be my first bike and i was mainly going to use it to commute to work, but would like to have enough 'umph' to pick up and go if something happens. i plan on riding smart. never thought about the sprocket and whatnot... i'm not too bike smart right now, i was gonna bring a buddy of mine to help me out ha

any idea where i can learn more in general about bike parts and stuff? ive been reading a lot bout what to look for when buying a bike... but still uncomfortable about pretty much anything else :S

-mintz

Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

First off, no stunt or track/race bikes. They are run as hard as possible while alive.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 PM

thanks gotcbr and my brain is hurt from what i just read! hah, maybe i shouldn't be buying one yet and keep on doing my research! i do have my heart set on a cbr though. i plan on spending the next few days reading up on all about bikes, parts, and how they function.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Google - "used motorcycle buying guide" or similar. There are a lot of these out there. They'll tell you basic things to look for. Although, if you have no experience w/ bikes in general, it may be difficult to know w/ any degree of certainty. Good that you have a friend to help look. Does he have experience w/ bikes?

You can get a pretty good feel when looking at bikes as to if they've been taken care of or not just by the visible condition of the bike. However, shiney pretty bikes can often be hiding sins of the owner as well. Ask for maintenance records.

If you find yourself getting serious about a particular bike, ask the seller to meet you at the local Honda shop for a "pre-purchase inspection". It will cost about $85-100. You'll pay for it but it benefits both you & the seller... You learn what the bike needs & doesn't need, as well as the owner. Then, you can make a more informed decision as to whether you'll lay down the rest of your money for purchase.

Good luck.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:35 PM

Here's a few in your area that might interest you and just at face value are better bets than that F4i. Obviously do your research like you have been but like I said take your time and find just what you want. I've seen a lot of guys buy something quick fast only to turn around and regret it a few weeks or months down the road.

Good luck and hope you find something

2003 Kawasaki **ZX6R 636**
2002 Ninja zx6r ready for summer!!!
2002 Yamaha r6
2005 Yamaha YZF-R6

Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 PM

Probably worn down from all the stunting. It looks great for the price...but not really what you need for your first bike! I would keep looking around mate!

A good starter bike in my opinion would be a 01-02 600f4i with hardly any mod's besides maybe a slip on exhaust!

Quick Reply: Evening riders