F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Engine Temperture

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Temperture

I have some temperature questions.

What is the normal operating temperature range?

When tempurature does the fan start?

What is the maximum temperature?

Old 01-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Banned
Default RE: Engine Temperture

Normal ? When just cruising on a cool day 65 degrees, about 176 to 178. Fan about 220. Max? I don't know.

It seems like it gets hot quick and then takes a long time to cool. I've seen other posts about this so search it, maybe it'll help.

Old 02-01-2006, 12:26 AM
Retired Administrator

Fish covered it well. Start doing some serious coasting and easy riding if you see upper 230's and above on normal rides. Don't just stop, the temp will continue to rise if you do.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:08 AM

225 fans kick in
my usual specs
190-220 on street
170-190 on freeway

Old 02-23-2006, 04:07 AM

I normally see 168-178 on the highway and on a hot day its close to 220, i hear the fan come on alot in town.

Daniel Thompson

Old 02-23-2006, 06:46 AM

matters waht youre doing. riding on the highway it should be between 160 and 180, in the city its 190-210. sitting at lights it'll go up to 225 or as high as 228. once youre moving again it goes down. i think the fans come on around 212. im assuming cause thats the boiling point of water and they want to keep it cooler than that but if you;re running good coolant than you shouldnt be concerned with it. check your coolant level and color to make sure you're ok.
and as a side note, if your fan isnt coming on and your temp is above 225, you're proably out of coolant, or if you were just using water, its all steam and it cant register the temp of steam so the temp will just keep rising....

Old 06-04-2007, 03:15 PM

I just took my bike in for a big 16000 mile service check, fluids, etc, and now my bike seems to be running hot. It never used to run above about, 205, but this morning (it was cold outside) it got to 230 on my ride to work. When I showed up, the fan was on and the engine had that hot motor smell. Does anyone know why this may have happened? Do you think they swapped out my old coolant (dunno the brand) for some lousy coolant that's not working as well?

Old 06-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check to make sure your radiator cap is on tight. they may have left some air in the cooling system if you've never seen that temp before.
was the weather hotter today?
in norcal...if you don't do the work yourself, the only person you should be taking your bike to should be el skipador on BARF or other 'approved' wrenchers on that forum.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:06 PM

okay, ill check the radiator cap. Would the issue solve itself if there was air in the cooling system? No it was COLD this morning, which is why i noticed the issue. and RE: why aren't you doing the work yourself? GREAT question. I've worked on cars all my life and I should be doing this simple work myself, but I live on a hill with no garage, no driveway, and I didn't bring all my tools up to school because my apt. is so small and no where to work. Its really frustrating to pay top dollar for someone to work on my bike, and then have it perform worse. They also adjusted my clutch all wierd, and now it engages at the very end of the lever...doesn't feel very good, where is the clutch supposed to engage? I'll check out the "approved wrenchers" section, I hadn't seen that. Thanks a lot for your advice, and yes, i must admit i love the siggy.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it's that cold and you're hitting 230 that definitely is NOT right.

the problem won't fix itself. you'll want to keep the bike on the side stand and run with the cap off...giving it some good revs here and there. it should be enough to push out any bubble that's stuck in the lines.

there really is no really 'set' rule as to how your clutch should be adjusted...it's what full engages and disengages and is comfy to you. dealers will set it so that it grabs as soon as you let off the cable or shortly after.

so from now on...no more dealers! take it to local wrenchers or BARF!

Quick Reply: Engine Temperture