F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

electrical issues (solved, starter switch)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical issues (solved, starter switch)

my headlights are out. when i flip the high beams switch, i don't get the little blue light on my LCD. i pulled both bulbs out and they appear to be normal. i switched them to see if maybe just the low was out, but it didn't come on. it is possible they are both bad. i already checked the fuses and they are good. i was thinking maybe the headlight relay, but i was wondering about something else.
i was also having some issues with my left turn signal. i finally tracked it down to a loose connection in the taillight. the guy that had the bike before me apparently ordered the wrong undertail kit for the bike and cut/spliced the wires to make it fit. i looked up the kit online and it was just supposed to be a plug in and go type deal. anyway, there was 1 ground wire loose in the tail section that caused the entire whole left turn signal to not function.
so because of this, i'm thinking that maybe if 1 headlight is out, neither one will work? i don't really know how the circuit is wired, but it might be a series thing like the turn signal. so if there is an open somewhere in the circuit, the whole thing doesn't work. i haven't bought new bulbs yet, but i'm going to have to even if they weren't bad before. i dropped them pretty hard on the garage floor, so if they weren't bad before they will be now.

and before anyone asks, all the fuses are good. i even replaced them all just to confirm. everything else electrical on the bike works fine. the display lights up properly with all the correct lights (minus the high beam indicator). the bike runs perfectly and i took it out for a 45 minute ride yesterday. i pulled up behind a car at a stoplight and didn't see my headlight reflecting off. that is when i discovered the problem.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Default RE: electrical issues

let me rephrase,
if the main headlight is out, will the high beam not come on?

Old 10-20-2008, 01:54 PM

no if your low beam is out your high beam will come on. It sounds lie your headlight fuse check it

Old 10-20-2008, 02:58 PM

yeah man, it is definitely not the fuse unless there is a second hidden fuse somewhere i don't know about......

Old 10-20-2008, 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Klink
and before anyone asks, all the fuses are good. i even replaced them all just to confirm.
ORIGIONAL Xuracing
It sounds lie your headlight fuse check it

Old 10-20-2008, 03:09 PM

Just going to throw this one out there:

Did you check your starter switch? Reason I ask is because A lot of guys have had this same issue with the F4i (I think more with the 2004-2006 models). When you start your bike, your headlights cut out until you release the switch. This is to save the battery from the cranking load put on the battery. If the switch is malfunctioning, it will cut out your lights. Did a search for ya...

https://cbrforum.com/m_296516/tm.htm

Old 10-20-2008, 03:13 PM

hmmm i would have never thought of that. i will try that when i get home. hopefully, that is the problem. i cost a whole lot less to just pull on the starter switch than to replace both bulbs and headlight relay.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:11 PM

cool man, Check back! Let us know...

Old 10-20-2008, 04:37 PM

you are a genius. as soon as i touched the switch, it popped all the way out. i don't know how many times i over looked that. thanks very much

Old 10-20-2008, 04:41 PM

Quick Reply: electrical issues (solved, starter switch)