F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

EBAY alpine star look alikes finally came in

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RunwayOneSix
The cost of the manufacturing process within the 48 contiguous states in the United States, factoring all variables is no joke thing. Some reports suggest it costs 4 in some cases 5x to make a product in the USA than if a company elected to make it in a foreign labor market.

So what do a lot of manufacturers do?? Well, most like Nike, Tommy and yes Alpinestars, manufacture a significant portion of their products overseas??
AlpineStars is made in Asolo, Italy. Everything handmade with real Italian leather in Italy, hence the cost and the quality. Though you are correct about cost issues here in the USA, Alpinestars makes all their product "overseas" - at their factory.

Last edited by randyjoy; 03-30-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by randyjoy
AlpineStars is made in Asolo, Italy. Everything handmade with real Italian leather in Italy, hence the cost and the quality. Though you are correct about cost issues here in the USA, Alpinestars makes all their product "overseas" - at their factory.
Ok and they also have a sizable outfit in California...I'm not sure your point. Are you trying to say all A-stars apparel, gear and equipment are made in Italy?

Old 03-30-2010, 07:20 PM

Ok and they also have a sizable outfit in California...I'm not sure your point. Are you trying to say all A-stars apparel, gear and equipment are made in Italy?
When I got to tour the factory in Italy, they said the US center is sales, distribution, design, and R&D. That was in 2008. Don't think it has changed.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:20 PM

Tour of the operations in Italy? Must have been one pretty cool experience.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:32 PM

Tour of the operations in Italy? Must have been one pretty cool experience.
It was pretty cool. I missed the timing for any races, I thought it would have been really cool to see a MotoGP in Italy. My family kidded me because of all the historical sites in Eurpoe, and I wanted to go see AlpineStars, Ducati, Dianese, KTM, and Porsche. Didn't get to see anything but the outside of the others, so I was happy at least with AStars. Porsche was cool from the outside, though!

/End Thread Jack LOL

Old 03-31-2010, 10:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I think I pretty much stand by my initial impression from the first thread. I don't think that there is any question that these are a great value. From looks, I'd put them on par with Joe Rocket's or the like (which, incidentally, are in the same price range). I would still challenge you to go in to the store and try on the A*'s and compare. As I mentioned in the other thread, I had typically been a skeptic about the price point vs. quality of the upper brands until I went into the store and tried the A*'s on.

To me, the gloves look exactly the same on you as they did in the advertisement pics (and we're talking about mediums here, not some big size). The wrinkle in the palm (say what you will about the position of the gloves, but mine never do that -- whether they've ridden up or not) and the wrinkles in the wrist are indicative to poor fit and less attentive design/construction. That kind of looseness and movement is what creates road rash through gear and also makes gear wear out and tear more quickly when a crash causes contact and abrasion on the road. The materials look cheap, and the leather has a coat of some kind of epoxy paint so that you can't even get a sense for the quality or grain of the leather.

I don't mean to be a nay-sayer zmd, there's no question that these are fine for the money, I just don't want anyone coming into this thread expecting to get a comparable glove for 1/3 of the price. From everything I can see, these are a long way off from the quality of materials, precise engineering, and tight construction of the A* counterparts.

More power to you guys who need to save a buck, but I still would challenge anyone to go into the store and see if you don't recognize the superior fit of the A* model. I believe very strongly that you would agree with me. For my money, it's more than reasonable to shell out 3 times the bones for the A* product.

Cheers fellas.

Last edited by chuckbear; 03-31-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:55 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by chuckbear
Well I think I pretty much stand by my initial impression from the first thread. I don't think that there is any question that these are a great value. From looks, I'd put them on par with Joe Rocket's or the like (which, incidentally, are in the same price range). I would still challenge you to go in to the store and try on the A*'s and compare. As I mentioned in the other thread, I had typically been a skeptic about the price point vs. quality of the upper brands until I went into the store and tried the A*'s on.

To me, the gloves look exactly the same on you as they did in the advertise pics (and we're talking about mediums here, not some big size). The wrinkle in the palm and the wrinkles in the wrist are indicative to poor fit and less attentive design/construction.

I don't mean to be a nay-sayer zmd, there's no question that these are fine for the money, I just don't want anyone coming into this thread expecting to get a comparable glove for 1/3 of the price. From everything I can see, these are a long way off from the quality of materials, precise engineering, and tight construction of the A* counterparts.

More power to you guys who need to save a buck, but I still would challenge anyone to go into the store and see if you don't recognize the superior fit of the A* model. I believe very strongly that you would agree with me.

Cheers fellas.
I dont really disagree with anything said here....

Except for the fit part... I honestly do beleive they fit me strange because of my odd hand size... im 7.5" from my palm to the tip of my middle finger... but the measurement for around my wrist is a mere 7" and around my hand not including my thumb is 8" quite small....

They do fit me great in the palm but are loose around the wrist area bc of how small my wrists are....

As far as materials go they appeared and felt good but im sure its not Italian grade leather... and because of the substitute of nylon mesh for leather im sure the fitment in some areas is not as tight as the A*

but i would most def. put it right up there with a pair if not higher than a pair of leather joe rocket gloves....

so thanks chuckbear for ur input

Old 03-31-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by zmds18

so thanks chuckbear for ur input
My pleasure, glad I could contribute. Congrats on the pickup!

Old 03-31-2010, 11:27 AM

Incidentally, I loved the knockoff levers you linked in the other thread and have a set on the way... lol

Old 03-31-2010, 03:10 PM

theis is an open thread and i can talk **** if i feal the need to. but its your life and if you want to buy ebay **** go ahead but like what is always said you pay for what you get!

Quick Reply: EBAY alpine star look alikes finally came in