F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Dual Port USB Power Adapter - illuminated & weatherproof

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Port USB Power Adapter - illuminated & weatherproof

I installed this probably 6-8 weeks ago. It is a little pricey at $40.(Free Shipping) But it was the only one I could find like this. (Illuminated with dual USB ports) I installed it the dash, but be careful, I cut a little fast, not making sure there was space behind the dash. I cut a piece of non support, plastic off headlight assembly, and it fits great. Another reason I picked this assembly, It is illuminated, so you can always tell if power is going to the plug. Easy troubleshooting if ever a problem!
Here is the link!

Motorcycle USB Power Socket

It does also come with a handlebar adapter as well. If you do not feel comfortable making the cut.

Attached Thumbnails Dual Port USB Power Adapter - illuminated & weatherproof-1342191264493.jpg   Dual Port USB Power Adapter - illuminated & weatherproof-1342191236816.jpg   Dual Port USB Power Adapter - illuminated & weatherproof-1342191245919.jpg  

Last edited by gotcbr; 07-13-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: merged back to back posts
Old 07-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice clean looking install.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:58 PM

I've been piecing together a setup in my mind to accomplish exactly this in the very location you selected! Thanks! I have a couple questions for you though: do you know if these USB ports are dedicated charging ports (pins D- and D+ shorted)? Did you tap into the headlight power wire to provide power to the ports?

Old 07-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by ABQRider
I've been piecing together a setup in my mind to accomplish exactly this in the very location you selected! Thanks! I have a couple questions for you though: do you know if these USB ports are dedicated charging ports (pins D- and D+ shorted)? Did you tap into the headlight power wire to provide power to the ports?
Electrical is my weakness. So the D+ D- shorted, not sure? As for the way I wired it, i connected it to the running light wire going to rear tail light, and the neg connects directly to the battery. (As per directions) Figured if for some reason I blow a fuse, or have a short, I don't want it to be a my headlight at night. (Doubt it makes a difference, but again, electrical is my weakness.) Have not had any problems, and it functions perfectly. Just thought I would post, because it took me a few hours of surfing the web until I finally found my perfect USB port. Plus, it looks great! Not sure if you checked the link, but you can email them about any technical details. All I can say, it is working great for me! Just like you, I only wanted to install in one place, with a dual port USB. It has been on bike for around 8 weeks or 1000 miles with no issues. I also hose the bike down regularly due to the 1/4 mile dirt road I am living off of temporarily,UGH!!! It is definitely waterproof!

Attached Thumbnails Dual Port USB Power Adapter - illuminated & weatherproof-rachel-bike.jpg  
Old 07-13-2012, 04:03 PM

I'm going to mail them on the dedicated charging capability (D- D+) but I think I'm getting it for my bike since the power requirements for what I plan on using it for will meet my needs (I may have to get a different USB cable if the D- D+ pins are not shorted but that's not a huge cost). Looks like there will be another '06 F4i with an identical setup soon.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by ABQRider
I'm going to mail them on the dedicated charging capability (D- D+) but I think I'm getting it for my bike since the power requirements for what I plan on using it for will meet my needs (I may have to get a different USB cable if the D- D+ pins are not shorted but that's not a huge cost). Looks like there will be another '06 F4i with an identical setup soon.

Awesome!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 PM

Very cool. I might need one of these for my long trips.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Registered Users

Nice! I think I may have to add that as a future mod.