F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

dropped bike...NEED HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dropped bike...NEED HELP!!

I am such a dumbass I'm so pissed at myself. I backed the bike into my garage today after a ride, and I was messing with the clock trying to set it. I thought I had put the kickstand down, so I tipped it over onto the "kickstand" and dropped the bike. There are small scratches on the fairings but nothing big.

The problem.......It won't start.

At first after I picked the bike up, I turned the ignition on and only the Neutral and FI lights come on, which tells me something is wrong already. Then after I turn the ignition off and wait a little and turn it back on, all the lights light up like normal but after a few seconds the red malfunction and oil lights turn off. I try it again, but this time I try to start it when all the lights are still on. It makes clicking sounds and doesn't do anything. When I press either turn signal it also makes the same clicking sound, and when I press the horn it makes a sort of windows "bing" sound like on your computer.

After I tried to start it while all the lights are on to no avail, everytime I turn the ignition to on, everything starts up normal but then instantly everything shuts off except for the N and FI and clock. Then after about a second the N, FI and headlights start to dim until the N, FI, and clock shut off altogether, but the headlights are still on but very very dim. Then when I turn the ignition to off, the clock comes back on, and is reset.

I know if the FI light is on it means that something is wrong with the fuel injection system, but in my opinion it's something electrical because of all the dimming lights, etc. The battery was changed about a month ago by the previous owner.

I don't know much about repairing motorcycles, but I'm hoping that it's something easily fixable becasue I don't know how I'm going to bring it to a dealership to fix.

Any help is MUCH appreciated

Thanks!!

Old 09-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Default RE: dropped bike...NEED HELP!!

Also, I have no idea if this has to do with it, but after the ride the coolant temp was up to about 237 and the fan was on. right before I dropped it. Just in case that may have anything to do with it.

Old 09-30-2006, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the tip-over sensor.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Retired Moderator

Niskyne,
I just had my wife back into me, and the end result was similar: bike on it's side. I took all my fairings off and disconnected everything because I had some major cosmetic issues to contend with. I found out the tip sensor is in the headlight assembly and you may want to check that none of the wires going to the headlight has come undone. There is a main wire harness that, if unplugged, can cause havoc. Also, you may disconnect you battery for a little bit and try and reset the computer. My problem was, I had averything apart but I wanted to make sure the plugs didn't get fouled, so I was trying to check for spark. I plugged the headlight back in, but had it upside down on a chair, so the bike thought IT was upside down. Needless to say, no spark. Goodluck!

Old 09-30-2006, 11:37 PM

So check the wires that connect to the tip sensor and make sure that they're all intact? Do you by any chance have a picture of the tip sensor so I know what I'm looking for?

Thanks for the help so far!

If anyone else has any suggestions, I desperately need them!

Old 10-01-2006, 03:23 PM

voodoochyl......when it happened to you, was your bike acting the same way with the electrical stuff and all that?

Old 10-02-2006, 01:08 AM

Ok, I checked everything you guys suggested and still doesn't work. Battery looks fine. Only thing is there is a plug that is unplugged from the engine control moduel. I attached a picture with the plug circled. Anyone have any idea why it's unplugged? I looked everywhere and couldn't find any slot where it may have come undone.

When I turned the ignition ON with the engine cut off in the ON position, it made sort of a clicking sound coming from about where the battery is, or below it, and then it did the same thing as always which is just dim out. Then I turned the ignition to OFF and then ON again, and just neutral light came on for about half a second and immediately dimmed out. Also, everytime I turn the ignition off, the tach goes up all the way then down again but no lights, and the clock comes back on but is reset.

I'm going to try to see if I could borrow a voltmeter or maybe buy one tomorrow to check on the battery.

Thanks for all your help so far!

Old 10-02-2006, 06:34 AM

I'm a new rider and I dropped my bike the first day I bought it (it's used don't worry; and i lost my footing when I came to a stop) and it wouldn't start after. Good thing it happened right in front of my friend's drive way, he brought out his charge, plugged it into the wall outlet, and left the battery for the bike to charge. After a few hours, it started just fine. now sure why, but i'll learn sooner or later.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Retired Moderator

Niskyne,
I didn't have any problems like that (sounds like your battery is running out of juice). I can't see the picture you posted. It looks like just a corner of the picture...hard to see what's going on.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:36 PM

Hey I dont think plug near ur battery is the problem. I think its disconnected if you have like a power commander or something like that. Do you have one of those?

Quick Reply: dropped bike...NEED HELP!!