F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Dragging Knees and Body Position

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragging Knees and Body Position

I'm no racer by any means, but do drag on a few interstate ramps when no one's around. I plan to hit the mountains this weekend so...

Just trying to get a feel for the whole dragging the knee. I understand the body positioning and the point of keeping the bike lean angle higher (straighter).

My question is where do you put the weight when hanging off? As of now, I use the inside peg and a bit of the tank. My outside leg only grips the part of the tank where your crotch would be sitting straight forward. If I were to keep my leg on the side of the tank and hang off, my butt would remain on the seat. I try not to put weight on the knee that is dragging, seems like no puck could handle that anyways

I just installed some Stompgrip on the tank sides hoping this would help me grab the tank with the inner part of the outside/high-side thigh. But I found out that I don't really use the sides of the tank. I'm going to try and add some to the contact area with the Stompgrip universal kit, maybe that will help hold on.

I guessing it's comfort and a blend of tank and foot peg.

This is a simulated image:

<edit: image removed>

Last edited by viper; 09-18-2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: no-longer serving image
Old 03-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dragging Knees and Body Position

many weigh the inside peg...i used to do this but no longer do it.
i use my outside leg to hook myself on. the inside foot just tip toes on the peg, but no weight really, then the knee stays out so i know where the ground is more or less.

think about a top...spinning and leaned at an angle, you put weight on the inside, it's only a matter of time before the bottom slips out.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:13 PM

Yeah, I'm on my toes/ball on the inside peg. So I'm sure I use a bit of the outside leg hold on, I just don't trust the grip on the tank until I fix that. My pants are not full leather so they don't grip very well. A "grippier" seat would help too. I'll try to rely on the tank a bit more, it will save your knees too. If your knees every go past your toes when squatting, it's bad for them. So less weight on them the better.

Thanks mate.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:27 PM

viper, you are on the right track, but youreally need to rethink your attack plan

first: exit and entrance ramps are NOT the place to be knee dragging. lots of oil, coolant and other crap accumulates there when traffic backs up, secondly, there are usually gaurd rails, those are deadly. Also, fwiw, there was a rider killed in Columbus, OH this past weekend, coming off an entrance ramp. "lost control of his bike and was run over by a semi and several other vehicles" at 6am in the morning. my guess is he lowsided , and slid right out into traffic. there used to be a video on the internet of a similiar thing too.

second: your pants arent full leather? exactly what are you wearing?

as for your positioning, it almost looks to me like your butt is too far off the seat based on your picture. I think you really should have almost a whole cheek left on the seat.

Tahoe, Im confused, if your not weighting the outside peg, and your not wieghting the inside peg, and your not on wieghting the seat if your hanging off, exactly where are you putting your wieght?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:31 PM

it's magic!

hahhaha...

they say weight the outside peg, which isn't really true because you can't really put weight on the outside peg when you're leaning to the inside...it's like hanging upside down on monkey bars and someone says, put the weight on your feet...WTH...what you're really doing is just using your outside leg to keep you from falling into the turn....does this make sense?

the only time i put weight on the outside and inside is when i'm climbing to get body positioning, but once in the turn, energy isn't put into the inside leg to keep the body from falling over, it's put to the outside leg to keep the body from falling over....does this make more sense?

T

Old 03-17-2008, 12:46 PM

ok look at this pix of this slow a$$ old mang...
weight isn't on the inside peg...or on the outside peg...it's just keeping the left leg bent/hooked so that the old mang doesn't fall off the bike.
this was with stock rear suspension and before moving can closer to bike. the midpipe was scraping badly...poor akra...

Old 03-17-2008, 12:46 PM

Thanks for your the concern. There's really only two ramps I do the dragging, and neither merge into traffic. And I don't screw around if other people are on the ramp...but you are right, I need to get my butt to a track.

I should have at least one cheek, the bike was on a kick stand so it's not exact. I 'm probably not that rotated to the right.

A* A-10 pants.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:48 PM

Good thread ive always wanted to know about this but ill try it whenever i TRACK no guardrail for me no way i wanna ride for a long long long long time.

So seems like you put a bit of weight on the outside. Seems like if you put weight on the inside your light leg is more likely to slip out or lose traction?

So from my understanding whenever your not shifting or rear braking your toe/middle of your foot should be on the pegs is that correct? Since i cant ride cuz its a bit too cold ive just been looking at pictures of how people corner and knee drag and kinda studying that.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:19 PM

yes...the outside foot can be in the middle, but the inside should always be on the *****/toes.

i now keep the outside in the middle so i can upshift faster, etc. if needed...it cuts down like 0.2 seconds...when you're slow like me every little bit counts!

Old 03-17-2008, 01:38 PM

So wait the outside foot is your left foot or depends on the corner?

Quick Reply: Dragging Knees and Body Position