F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Double Bubble Vs Grand Touring Windscreen For F4i

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double Bubble Vs Grand Touring Windscreen For F4i

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2006 F4i and am loving it! I am about 5.6 and am very interested in touring with it in the future along the west coast. I have very sensitive ears so I have been looking for ways to cut down on wind noise.

I recently picked up a Shoei Qwest and am researching options for the best earplugs. One thing I wanted to ask was how much effect do the aftermarket windscreens like the ones from Zero Gravity have on wind noise on our bikes specifically?

I would assume that the Double Bubble would reduce some and the Grand Touring would reduce even more, but the more I search online I get conflicting opinions on which is more effective depending on the bike. Do any of you have any experience with these windscreens that could help guide me specifically in reference to an F4i?

Thanks so much for you help!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum and your first post. I can't answer your questions, but I'm sure there are those here who can. Of course as a new member, pics of your ride are a must. You'll find that there are many knowledgeable and helpful inhabitants of this forum, feel free to contribute. Remember, pics!

Old 05-10-2013, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon Clementson
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2006 F4i and am loving it! I am about 5.6 and am very interested in touring with it in the future along the west coast. I have very sensitive ears so I have been looking for ways to cut down on wind noise.

I recently picked up a Shoei Qwest and am researching options for the best earplugs. One thing I wanted to ask was how much effect do the aftermarket windscreens like the ones from Zero Gravity have on wind noise on our bikes specifically?

I would assume that the Double Bubble would reduce some and the Grand Touring would reduce even more, but the more I search online I get conflicting opinions on which is more effective depending on the bike. Do any of you have any experience with these windscreens that could help guide me specifically in reference to an F4i?

Thanks so much for you help!
I went from a puig race, to a double bubble and the wind noise only got worse. Unless you're in a tucked or more leaned riding posture, the double bubble seems to throw all of the wind right onto your upper chest and helmet area. Earplugs are probably the cheapest and easiest route to go.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:11 AM
June 2012 Ride of the Month

Ear plugs really cut down wind noise.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:50 AM
"A"
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by City Bike Racing
Ear plugs really cut down wind noise.
+1 for wind noise solution:

I find

Laminar Lip

to be better solution than screen replacement.

Have a secure enough tankbag that you can lay on top of, and you can fall asleep while riding.

Last edited by "A"; 05-11-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by "A"
+1 for wind noise solution:

I find

Laminar Lip

to be better solution than screen replacement.

Have a secure enough tankbag that you can lay on top of, and you can fall asleep while riding.
+2 and without the wind noise I found that it cut out a lot of my fatigue with my cruiser

Old 05-11-2013, 01:27 PM

Does anyone have any other pictures of the Laminar lip? It looks like it leaves a gap between the windscreen and the lip. Doesn't air get in there? I'm 6'1" so tucking under the regular screen is very uncomfortable for me

Old 05-11-2013, 01:54 PM
"A"
Cool

Originally Posted by svek
Does anyone have any other pictures of the Laminar lip? It looks like it leaves a gap between the windscreen and the lip. Doesn't air get in there? I'm 6'1" so tucking under the regular screen is very uncomfortable for me
The idea is to let air get in there, without the gap, there will be a low pressure pocket developing behind your tall windscreen; that creates buffering, unstable airmass packets and likely cause more wind noise at certain level behind the screen.

I use the Laminar lip on my Blackbird; triple digit speed, long hours in the saddle, 140+mph, quiet as can be.

Name:  IMG_0030.jpg
Views: 2217
Size:  208.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4643.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  217.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3149.jpg
Views: 2236
Size:  209.1 KB

Old 05-11-2013, 03:18 PM
"A"

Here's what I found on google:

Old 05-12-2013, 04:07 AM

I think I might pick one up... Don't know if I need the touring lip or the smaller version...

Quick Reply: Double Bubble Vs Grand Touring Windscreen For F4i