F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Double Bubble: Visibility vs Looks

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
Here's an email I received from Zero Gravity about this problem:

Dear Jeff,
The problem you've identified regarding burning of the instrument panels of certain bikes seems to be valid. Apparently it has to do with the parabolic shape of the Double Bubble or Double Bubble clones (Double Bubble is a registered trademark of Zero Gravity Corporation). It happens when the sun is at a particularly low angle and the bike is faced away from the sun so that the sunlight reflects on the underside of the screen. In just the right circumstances the sunlight is concentrated at the focus of the parabolic shape of the Double Bubble, and if it reflects onto a part made of plastic that has a low melting temperature, then a burn occurs. It's a very unusual situation but can occur. We tell customers to simply stuff a rolled up towel or piece of clothing under the screen if the bike is going to be parked in the sun for a period of time. Parking the bike so it faces the sun also appears to help.

Hope that helps.

Glenn Cook
Zero Gravity Corporation
912 Pancho Rd
Camarillo, CA 93012

I just installed a Puig DB on my bike and there was a warning sticker on it saying the same thing about aiming the bike facing the sun, etc.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:14 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Wear a helmet and the wind won't destroy your face

Old 03-24-2012, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by HellrazerinDC
I just installed a Puig DB on my bike and there was a warning sticker on it saying the same thing about aiming the bike facing the sun, etc.
Or I was thinking of getting a small tint on that bottom corner (for clear ones) and even a HONDA logo, like the OEM windscreen

Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 PM

Just to let you guys know what I ended up doing:

I bought a Puig Double Bubble (Dark Smoke) and I am very happy with it. It took a little bit of fudging with the screws to get it into place, but it's very secure. Blocks a little bit more wind (not too much) than the stock windscreen, but really makes a huge difference in a half, 3/4 and full tuck. Does great on windy days riding into the wind. Looks good too (mind seems to have a purple tint to it on sunny days)! Pictures to come.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be sure you never park it facing north on a sunny day or you'll regret buying it.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by kevin...who?
Just to let you guys know what I ended up doing:

I bought a Puig Double Bubble (Dark Smoke) and I am very happy with it. It took a little bit of fudging with the screws to get it into place, but it's very secure. Blocks a little bit more wind (not too much) than the stock windscreen, but really makes a huge difference in a half, 3/4 and full tuck. Does great on windy days riding into the wind. Looks good too (mind seems to have a purple tint to it on sunny days)! Pictures to come.

I've noticed the difference too since I installed one on mine a few weeks back. Took a nice trip (about 90 miles of highway) and that's when I really noticed it.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by DntCrossMe12
Hey guys I need a new windscreen, smoked or dark I don't care because I wont be looking through it... what I'm concerned with is reliability... I'm a new rider and I would hate for my windscreen to break while i'm riding on the highway, or start cracking from the sun (I live in Miami) give me some advice as far as reliable name brands are concerned...
I live in miami too, and i use the Zero Gravity double bubble clear. I have had it for a year now and have not had any issues. Hope that helps.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:38 AM

I have a dark smoke DB Puig (wife bought it for me for a surprise) but wanted a clear so will be taking mine back. The downside is there is a 20% restocking fee.

BTW, she's cool with it. I did appreciate it.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:56 PM

I just bought a Puig DB purely for looks right now. Hopefully after I have it installed it blocks some of the wind at least, then I will get the best of both worlds, looks and benefit!

Old 12-22-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Neonfire
I just bought a Puig DB purely for looks right now. Hopefully after I have it installed it blocks some of the wind at least, then I will get the best of both worlds, looks and benefit!
You have any pics of the install of yours?

Quick Reply: Double Bubble: Visibility vs Looks