F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

The do's and donts of lowering didnt help me..

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The do's and donts of lowering didnt help me..

I read a lot about lowering my bike and I have decided that lowering my bike is for me..

I have decided that this will be the bike that I use around town and will take to the dragstrip when my car is down(a lot) and I'm itching to go run(often!)...

I understand about lowering the front and needing a lower kickstand and all that but my problem is that I cant find a lowering link that will lower my bike 3 inches like I want to go drag racing with.

all of them say something about hitting the shock.. Is there a way I can change the shock for so I can lower it more?

Old 02-21-2009, 12:23 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Any particular reason you want to lower it that far to drag? It's plenty easy to keep the F4i's front wheel down without lowering at all.

Maybe you can launch it more at that length, I don't know. I just don't see it as practical for both the track and street.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aken
I just don't see it as practical for both the track and street.
Nothing is practical for the track AND street, not if your "drag racing" Something will always suffer. Stiffer suspension, good for track, bad for *** on city roads. Extended swingarm, great for drag racing and keepin the front wheel down, horrible for in the twisties. Super soft tires, perfect for the track, great on the street for a few hundred miles, then what, shell out another three hundo every couple months for new rubber? Besides, who the hell drag races an F4i. If you wanna race then I'd suggest getting a Race Replica.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
Nothing is practical for the track AND street, not if your "drag racing" Something will always suffer. Stiffer suspension, good for track, bad for *** on city roads. Extended swingarm, great for drag racing and keepin the front wheel down, horrible for in the twisties. Super soft tires, perfect for the track, great on the street for a few hundred miles, then what, shell out another three hundo every couple months for new rubber? Besides, who the hell drag races an F4i. If you wanna race then I'd suggest getting a Race Replica.
I drag race an F2, OFTEN. Now granted, I don't visit the tail of the dragon very often, ( read that I'm not a road racer, and don't push my bike that hard on the street, but still, my chicken strips aren't that wide), but it's lowered front and rear, no stretch, runs 11.20s in the 1/4 and 7.20s in the 1/8, with a 1.71~1.69 60' time, on a 190 005 Shinko, and I've got over 4000 miles on that tire already and still have plenty of tread. My theory is that if you put enough tire on it, you don't need to do massive burnouts to get it to hook, and it don't spin much on the street either.

Last edited by Rickracer; 02-21-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:16 AM

I don't think I will drag it often. I just want to have fun with it. How much did you lower your bike?

Old 02-21-2009, 11:46 AM

Mine is down an inch and an eighth in the front, not sure about the back, got my lowering link used and didn't measure beforehand, but it has 2 holes in the one end and I'm in the upper one. I'm told it won't fit with the shock in the other (lower) one, and I don't want or need it to be that low anyway. I can just stick my hand in edgewise underneath the lowest part of my header, and my hand is 3.5" wide.

Last edited by Rickracer; 02-21-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:33 PM

I think Ill do a 1 inch then. What ebay lowering links can i trust?

edit

how much do you have to adjust your kickstand for a 1 inch drop?

Old 02-21-2009, 04:14 PM

I lowered my bike, and when I did, I had to take my dremel and shave a bit off the plastic on the shock to get it to fit. I ended up putting it back to stock. I bottomed out my bike when I did wheelies, I scraped the ground when I cornered and my bike fell over cuz the kickstand wasn't cut to the right length. If you want a lowering link, I will sell you mine, its adjustable. For how I ride, the lowering of the bike didn't benefit me. I am 5'4" and I can't put both feet flat on the ground at a light. So I just put one foot flat and the other foot on a peg at a light. Thats what I do to compensate my short legs.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:04 PM

i just raised my bike back up from a one inch drop.

The kickstand was never modified but you had to be very careful and where/how you park it.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's TWO knowledgable posts that undid what you wanna do for good reasons (you'll have to ask them why) Yeah Steph I'm acually agreein with ya, no hard feelins bro, I was havin a bad day and you were the straw that broke the camels back, so for my rants I'm sorry. Anyways Forrest Gump, I hope these two have swayed you to keep it where its desinged to be.

Quick Reply: The do's and donts of lowering didnt help me..