F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

doh

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 03:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default doh

Well my day didn`t got to good, been hanging out for a ride all week. got up this morning did all my checks,met up with boys for a ride, about 2hrs from home and on our way home my chain let go redline on the up change to 3rd shattered the chain guard smashed both my tail and undertray just nicked the regulator retifier, even shot the rear seat off and tore all the trim, so much for the new fairings

could have been worse,, chain could of jammed the rear wheel thank god, won`t use a F#%*ING CHAIN LINK AGAIN THO.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Banned

Def could have been a lot worse like you said....I run a chain link and check my chain all the time then again my bike barely sees over 7-8k rpms

Old 10-17-2011, 03:56 AM

yeah double those rpms when she let go, chain only done 2 or three rides, and its agood quality x -ring got to check a couple of other things but may have been supplied the wrong chain by my bike shop. i checked the tension and link before i left so im a little stumped, but i`ll get sorted.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:30 AM
Banned

was the link clip installed correctly seems to be a common mistake with clip style links

Old 10-18-2011, 04:03 AM

yeah i had the closed side of clip in the direction of rotation, the chain was the correct one, puchased a breaker and press kit so i`ll use press in links from now on, just to be safe. going to fab up an alloy chain guard as well. to stop it damaging my tail IF and i really hope not ever happens again, because the factory one didn`t to S#*T.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by OZZY_F4
Well my day didn`t got to good, been hanging out for a ride all week. got up this morning did all my checks,met up with boys for a ride, about 2hrs from home and on our way home my chain let go redline on the up change to 3rd shattered the chain guard smashed both my tail and undertray just nicked the regulator retifier, even shot the rear seat off and tore all the trim, so much for the new fairings

could have been worse,, chain could of jammed the rear wheel thank god, won`t use a F#%*ING CHAIN LINK AGAIN THO.
Man i know the feeling. I went down on Columbus day because my rear tire slipped out on a turn. (My tires are bad, ****ko brand really sux, so this is kinda my fault). But I had just replaced my fairings 2 weeks prior to this. I was pissed off, luckly only the rightside fairing got damaged and nothing else.

Hope your ok!! Best of luck.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chain snaps are always nasty. Properly installing the master link is super important. Not saying you did anything wrong, but something caused that clip link to fail. Atleast it spit it out instead of binding up on the front sprocket and destroying internals or the case.

I saw a picture from another forum (gixxer.com maybe) where the chain came through the seat and whipped the riders *** pretty good leaving a naaasty welt. cant find the pic though!

The stock chain guard is only going to stop lube from flinging up your back nothing else. At the speed that chain is moving i doubt a chain guard of any material is going to stop that thing.

Here's another not so lucky f4i rider's story.
https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-...-riding-88364/

Old 10-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Avi

a clip link SHOULDN'T be used by no one this forum.
it's used for dirt bikes and other not high power bikes. pushing a CBR to the red line doesn;t qualify as low power

be happy you got out of this clean, and I have met a guy who had a chain snap and crack the engine block. now that's alot of money. you got it rather cheap..

I am curious, how did you get home?

Old 10-19-2011, 04:21 AM

yeah im very thankfull it turned out the way it did, just a little disapointed it damaged my new fairings and undertail. should`ve known better have had a few links fail on dirt bikes and even the race karts over the years,

I had mate, who didn`t join us on the ride, come out with a bike trailer, along with another mates Rsv4 with a dodgy coil thats gonna cost him.