F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Dog!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog!

I don't know if this has happened to anyone else. I decided to go look at some houses in the local area and took the bike. I'm cruising in these areas at like 15mph, stopping and looking at any papers on the for sale sign (if any). It's nice out and a few houses ahead of me to my right a lady opens her garage door and this dog from hell starts at me with everything it has. I am more focused on the houses than anything else and at the time, wasn't even moving. I assume the thing didn't like the sound or something. Only thing I could think of was get the hell out of there. I take off for my sake of not getting attacked and the dogs for not running it over. This thing was totally focused on killing me. Just curious if anyone else has been chased by a dog. Probably not a normal thing, but when you're only going 15mph and stopping every 50 feet it becomes an issue apparently. Lesson learned.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dog!

Well you did the right thing...I remember in my MSF course they taught us that you slow down (if driving) and once the animal is in a reasonable distance you jet off.

I can't personally say that I have had a dog or any animal for that matters, however I can tell you time after time how many dogs are staring at me and growling (I think they are jealous of my handsome face..or was it the bike )

Old 04-08-2008, 09:34 PM

Exactly, the book says slow down then quickly blast off and loose the dog, for some reason they are attracted to bikes.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:43 PM

Well good that is what I pretty much did. It wasn't a freak out and take off...it was more of a, "ok, I know he can't get me from the distance he is, but I better get moving" take off.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and wear racing boots and leathers all the time :P

Old 04-09-2008, 12:56 AM

In my motorcycle riding tips book it says to do the slow down, then speed up trick. It throws off the timing of the dog's attack. I have never had a close encounter with any animal attacking me yet though. A couple of times I thought dogs were about to jump out the car and come at me though. I was ready!! I hope I never have to face this situation as I love dogs...

Old 04-09-2008, 01:59 AM

Yeah happened to me a couple of times. Personally I think that most dogs wouldn't really attack if they came that close, it's more like saying this is my stretch, f#&k off with your loud slip-on etc. (Disclaimer: note how I underlined most. lol).Happensas well to cars, postman etc. which means they are not ant-bikers. Kind of relieved as I love the dogs too and actually have 2.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:11 PM

Ya dogs are cool and I like them as well...but sometimes they are so damn stupid it's beyond my understanding.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:21 PM

HA HA...that actually happened to me today! Yes dogs are attracted to bikes. The opinions that were already given are correct, slow down then when the dog gets closer speed off. I was coming to a stop sign today in the country side, and i heard something to my right and when i looked over a huge dog was sprinting at me! I knew cars were coming from both sides in the road i was crossing so their was nothing that i could have done, but by luck the dog stopped at the edge of its yard (about 5FT) from me. I didn't pannic, butwas prepared to gethands onwith the dog.I've tangled with a few beasts before and its not fun, a dogs strength is always underestimated, so if possible just dothe routine and getout of there. Ummm pretty much i believe that most dogs wont attack butlike everything about riding be prepared for anything.Good decision tho bro!

Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 PM

ORIGINAL: kukku

Yeah happened to me a couple of times. Personally I think that most dogs wouldn't really attack if they came that close, it's more like saying this is my stretch, f#&k off with your loud slip-on etc. (Disclaimer: note how I underlined most. lol).Happensas well to cars, postman etc. which means they are not ant-bikers. Kind of relieved as I love the dogs too and actually have 2.
yeah i have a couple dogs too, and some neighbors have them as well, but none of them have tried to chase after me, thankfully. they don't seem bothered by the bike at all.

funny i actually just took the msf course in july, and i def remember reading about the dogs, thinking it was funny.