F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Do I need a PC3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a PC3?

hey guys! i was just curious... i was wondering with my setup (shown in my sig), even though not much mods would i even need a power commander? cuz basically all i really have is a slip on! but if it does make a difference on cleaning up the air/fuel mixtures then i am really considering it. could someone please tell me, based on my setup, what the pros/cons are of having one?

Old 10-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Default RE: Do I need a PC3?

The ONLY con is the money it costs to buy one. No....a slip on doesnt HAVE to have one but it will help. I put one on my GSX-R when it was completely stock and it was worth every penny. I'm sure it picked up no power on top but it made throttle response SO much better and certainly more power in the lower rev range at less than full throttle. There is no disadvantage to having one. If you have the money, buy one and run the downloaded map and you will like. Not enough mods to warrant a custom tune but a custom tune will get you every last hp out of it.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:03 PM

I got one and love it. Makes for smoother shifts too. ****ty part is the money. install is plug and play easy

Old 10-26-2007, 06:08 PM

thanx gixxer... another question! in terms of throttle response, could i just the freeplay on the throttle so it will be more responsive?

Old 10-26-2007, 08:50 PM

well, yes you can and i see what you mean as I HATE too much throttle slop, but it's not the same as improving "Throttle response". Throttle response can mean picking up trailing throttle at 8k half throttle and adding a little more with out hesitation etc. It cleans up the flat spots and makes picking up throttle from zero MUCH smoother weather you crank it 1/2 turn or 1/16th turn.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:34 PM

The PCIII is only as good as the map you program into it. The ones online are ****; you'll see a marginal gain at best, a decrease in performance at worst. Most people suffer from a placebo effect after they install one. But hey, so long as you think you're faster, thats all that counts, right?

To answer your question, no, you don't need a PCIII; for your setup, its a waste of money. Drop a tooth in your front sprocket if you want better response, and spend the $200 you'll save on hookers and blow for an even better time.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:59 PM

HEY oday, did you check out my myspace for pics?

Old 10-27-2007, 08:44 AM

But hey, so long as you think you're faster, thats all that counts, right?
well, nobody here said it would make it FASTER! In fact I said it didnt likely pick up any on mine, but it DID make it smoother on/off throttle and when you are entering a corner at 70mph and 8K it's nice to have a smooth throttle pick-up.

I still say do it. The online maps are good enough for what you have done but it wont be perfect. it'll get you to about 85%, if you want the other 15% you need a custom tune and some dyno time.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:31 PM

just curious.. how do PCIIIs effect gas mileage. you would think if the engine is running more efficiently and closer to stoikeometric ratio then mileage would improve. just my take on things. my bike is running freakishly rich right now and i'm getting horrable mileage. to the point where it's gonna end up killing my plugs soon so i was thinking about getting one when i replace them.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:36 PM

Since you have a completely custom pipe (not Yosh, Akra, etc) it would be a bitch to find a map to work with it. I haven't even been able to get one for mine with a Yosh full system and K&N filter. They do have great customer service and will try to find a map to work for you though. I want a custom map because I still don't feel like my bike is right.

I agree with the idea of a placeboe affect. I am not feeling like my bike has all the potential.

IMO, if you really want to feel a strong "throttle response", regearing will do it for you. I am -1/+2 and what a ****load of difference. You have to be careful or the front end will come right up.