F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Disc Lock - Need security

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disc Lock - Need security

I park my bike outside with an Akita 1" cable lock...I feel I need more security. I've decided on a disc lock.

I have heard good things about Xena disc locks. Please list the exact model that will fit the F4i caliper the best!

Im looking for the one that is loud enough (db) when theres a true threat but not too sensitive to where it goes off from the wind. I also work near an ADD pediatric clinic and I see kids walking past it all day. No problems yet...but the first time one of those ADD kids touches my shiney red apple...I want him to hold his ears and cry for mommy...

Old 12-14-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober
I park my bike outside with an Akita 1" cable lock...I feel I need more security. I've decided on a disc lock.

I have heard good things about Xena disc locks. Please list the exact model that will fit the F4i caliper the best!
Im looking for the one that is loud enough (db) when theres a true threat but not too sensitive to where it goes off from the wind. I also work near an ADD pediatric clinic and I see kids walking past it all day. No problems yet...but the first time one of those ADD kids touches my shiney red apple...I want him to hold his ears and cry for mommy...
...................... jerk. haha

Old 12-14-2010, 02:42 PM

My disc lock has an alarm on it, the batteries last about a week. as you can guess i have removed them. The alarm was 120db but the speakers so small its worthless.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Old 12-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think webbikeworld did a review of a bunch of disc locks. Also think they said they all suffered from a design flaw: cover the speaker and the 120db is significantly reduced

Old 12-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Banned

Dont make the mistake I did either...

The first day I had my bike I forgot to take the disc lock off, was rolling the bike backward and chipped of a piece of my front fender.

It was nothing superglue didnt fix...but learn from my mistake, REMEMBER IT IS ON THERE!

Old 12-15-2010, 05:37 PM

Kuro-Thanks...Ya I am not worried about someone muffling the speaker...more than anything...the disc lock/alarm is a major deterent in conjuntion with my akita cable lock...and would take some time to first cut the 1" cable then break the disc lock...I doubt someone has the ***** to tackle doing both of these while trying to muffle an alarm...I just dont see it happening where I live..

Kaz-Thanks for the heads up ya I have read horror stories about forgetting its on there! I have pretty bad OCD so I do checks ;( fortunately

Anyone have any personal experience with the Xena disc lock/alarm? If so what model are you using?!

Old 12-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 12-15-2010, 07:22 PM

I had a xena lock, my story here: https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...light=security

That was about 5 or 6 years ago. Newer models might be different than mine was.
I recently read the webBikeWorld review as linked by Kuroshio. Wish I had known about the reflective surface they mentioned, might have been the problem w/ my lock's alarm. Regardless, no excuse for the lock mechanism to just quit working altogether.
Personally, I would suggest a Kryptonite or Bully Locks or even a big padlock (if you're on a tight budget). You won't get the built in alarm but I can't in good conscience recommend the Xena.
One positive in Xena locks favor, you won't move the bike without remembering the lock is there, as long as the alarm is still functioning!
Just my $.02, ymmv

Old 12-16-2010, 11:03 AM

So are you more worried about someone sitting on it or it getting stolen?

Quick Reply: Disc Lock - Need security