CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   F4i - Main Forum (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/)
-   -   Daytona triple 675's (https://cbrforum.com/forum/f4i-main-forum-11/daytona-triple-675s-116404/)

600F4inoober 09-13-2010 01:35 AM

Daytona triple 675's

Now pre-2006 these bikes were junk but starting 06-08 I can contest that they are a work of art...and 09-10 are even better...I checked an 06 out this weekend at the weekly car/bike show-meet. It was an 06 (first year) and hot damn those things look nice. Didn't know much about them and read up on them today and wow what a machine...What's everyone's thoughts on these bikes?

To me it seemed:
Pro's- triple (3 cylinder) and 675cc ='s TONS of torque and power all over the band......the 09/10's are lighter than our bikes:icon_emm:(356lb) and basically unmatched craftsmanship

Con's - high seat position and low bars make you ride "In" the bike...may be uncomfortable for most and def. not a cruiser...not a beginner bike? "Gel" seat looks pretty ghey to me...I've read the seat gets very hot on long trips as well. for 06-08 they are 390lb dry (as opposed to our 370lb dry)

Just wanted everyone's opinion on these bikes..and if you haven't seen one in person, you should go check one out

teko1020 09-13-2010 01:58 AM

I'll take my I4 over an I3 any day of the week.

(951) Baby Shortee 09-13-2010 01:59 AM

One of the guys in my club has one and its allways giving him problems. Were allways clowning on him. Not sure what year it is tho.

600F4inoober 09-13-2010 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by teko1020 (Post 966224)
I'll take my I4 over an I3 any day of the week.

Don't get me wrong..I love our I4's...but why do you say that? The I3 in these 675's produces more torque and HP in all ranges, and in a more linear fashion than our bikes..unfortunately:icon_no:

600F4inoober 09-13-2010 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by (951) Baby Shortee (Post 966225)
One of the guys in my club has one and its allways giving him problems. Were allways clowning on him. Not sure what year it is tho.

Hmm..really? Possibly it is pre-06? Heard they were literal crap before 06 and then BAM..a work of art...If it is an 06+ I'd like to know what issues he's having..

(951) Baby Shortee 09-13-2010 02:18 AM

I know that he was having alot of electrical issues. It would die on him in the middle of rides. There were times when were about to go ride, and bam, no starty..... Lately I guess its been good, well see how long that lasts.

teko1020 09-13-2010 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober (Post 966226)
Don't get me wrong..I love our I4's...but why do you say that? The I3 in these 675's produces more torque and HP in all ranges, and in a more linear fashion than our bikes..unfortunately:icon_no:

Really? It's a slightly bigger cc and up-to-date with the newest technology. Ofcourse its going to be better but its barely better at that. If I wanted performance there is no way in hell I'd be buying an I3 bike in the 21st century. If I wanted craftsmanship I would be buying a Ducati, which also is a king in the performance department, even if its 2 cylinders.

chetman7 09-13-2010 12:15 PM

i'm picking up a daytona next season. They are beautiful strong machines.

600F4inoober 09-13-2010 06:00 PM

Below is a great real life difference between the F4i and 675 from a guy whose had both..

From what I've read, the common issues are a small battery that dies often, rectifier issues (so electrical like you stated babyshorty)..the valves need adjusting quite often, a hot seat, NOT a comfortable street bike/stance with very tight suspension ='s not fun/stable with bumpy conditions..and EXUP (some exhaust valve issue)(opens/closes based on throttle response for torque/back pressure)

"I put 30k miles on my F4i before selling it and now I have 14k miles on my 675 so far.

It'll feel a bit weird at first, the riding position is much more extreme on the 675, the F4i has a very comfortable position for a sport bike. Also the 675 will feel super narrow and super tall. All easy things to get used to.

Like others have said, the powerband on the Triumph is much stronger down low than the F4i. The Honda is know for having good midrange for a 600, but the Triumph blows it away. Also the 675 is much smoother in the on-off throttle transition. That was a problem with the early fuel injection that the F4i had. When I had both bikes (before the F4i sold) I thought it maybe FELT like the F4i was faster, but that's only because there's more of a rush at the top end. The power hits hard up top so it feels like all of the sudden you're hauling ass. The Daytona is actually faster, but because the powerband is smoother there's not as much "hit" or "rush". The brakes on the 675 are AMAZING. I had steel braided lines and good pads on my F4i and the Daytona blows that bike away! You'll find yourself doing small accidental stoppies if you're braking hard. The suspension is stiffer on the Triumph, so again you're losing comfort but gaining handling. The 675 is like a scalpul, and it seems to turn in telepathicaly! You think and look where you want to go and boom you're already there! 8)

And while not really a technical detail... but the SOUND! Oh the sound!! The triple has a very unique exhaust and intake note. It makes inline 4 cyl bikes seem very boring in comparison.

As far as reliability... I have 14,000+ miles on mine and the only problem I've had is a dead intake air temp sensor. The dealership replaced it under warranty and did the fuel pump relay recal at the same time and I had the bike back in a day. Awesome."

boredandstroked 09-13-2010 06:21 PM

Why is this in the f4i forum?

600F4inoober 09-13-2010 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked (Post 966508)
Why is this in the f4i forum?

:icon_no: Possibly bc I am an F4i owner and am asking my fellow F4i members their advice? You know just bc we all own F4i's doesent mean we dont have friends that own other bikes or have real life experience with other bikes:icon_wink: I am asking for advice on "what would you do" and posting pro's and con's on the 675...where should I post this...in the "Daytona Triple 675" section? :icon_urinal:

bluedevil3758 09-13-2010 08:05 PM

if i could afford another bike id buy a 675 an make it a track bike, although on my last trackday i beat a 675 on the straight :) but i came out of the last turn much harder then the guy on the 675, still felt good to beat a newer bike on the straight lol

kilgoretrout 09-13-2010 08:33 PM

where should I post this...in the "Daytona Triple 675" section? :icon_urinal:
Actually, man.... there's:

Other Bike Chat
Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.
Designed exactly for this type of thread! ;)

But I still don't trust a triumph.

I think they're cool looking bikes and all, but if I wanted a more aggressive bike in the 600 class, I'd get a new 600RR. (that purdy green one.. :))
Just my opinion, tho.

Aken 09-13-2010 11:36 PM

No first hand experience with one myself, but I'd ride the hell out of one.

regener8ed 09-14-2010 06:29 AM

a riding buddy had the 650, which i always found a bit fugly, but the 675 is one of the best looking designs to me. beautiful lines, and a bit rare, not a bad combo.

jonld 09-14-2010 09:23 AM

I think its meant to be a comparison between the triumph and f4i so I dont see why it doesnt belong here. That being said you post such a question on a specific forum such as this your going to get a mostly biased answer. For the guy who said he'd go ducati, there are dozens of guys on the r1 forum who got rid of ducati's to go back to the r1 due to comfort and reliability. Personally I would love a Triumph and a Ducati, but I like anything with 2 wheels. If you really like the triumph, give one a try. Everyones experience is going to be somewhat different.

lanceam24 09-14-2010 10:07 AM

werd

boredandstroked 09-14-2010 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by 600F4inoober (Post 966532)
You know just bc we all own F4i's doesent mean we dont have friends that own other bikes or have real life experience with other bikes:icon_wink:

You want real life? Ok. Last year a great friend of the entire devil riders group died on his 675 leaving sky harbor airport heading for the 202. As said there is a forum just for this kind of question which will give you people with all types of differrent hondas comparing theirs to the 675 which will give you a better overall idea of it.
Forget dry weight, it means nothing. Wet weight is what the bike will actually weigh when its ridden. The 675 is comparable to new 600's. It will have more low end torque but comparable peak torque and hp. They are beautiful bikes, sound awesome, and have proven to be fairly reliable.
That said the 600rr has beaten it in track tests, and at that level its really down to the rider anyways. I'd stick with the honda and also get a purdy green one, then add some extra green.

600F4inoober 09-14-2010 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks bored. So I assume your in the valley? I’m sorry about your buddy.

Great info everyone. I agree about the dry weight/wet weight thing. The Triple 675 comes in at 363lb while our F4i’s are at 370lb. For me, minus the 10lb torpedo muffler and add a bootleg carbon fiber and your dead even if not the(my) F4i lighter at that point. Plus I rarely have more than a 3 gallons in my tank as well as me weighing 140lbs so needless to say I ride lighter than 90% of the bikes out there.

Anyway, sounds like the consensus is that ALL year triple 675’s are dead sexy and have a quality build. Stance is quite different and the bike much narrower. Suspension is suspect and seat (and heat to seat) make it a rather uncomfortable ride, but again, opinions may differ. I'm obviously not expecting it to be as comfortable as my F4i

Seems like a solid make and from what I’ve read that inline 3 screams and the exhaust note from the triple is unmatched

The only common mechanical issues I’ve gathered from 675 forums etc.. are

1. Small battery that dies constantly/rectifier issues (if not ridden. Battery must be charged every 2 weeks!)
2. EXUP (exhaust plate/valve)
3. Valves need adjusting every 8k
4. Seat gets hot (As I stated I checked a 675out this past weekend and I really think the seats are FUGLY…shame)
5. Common chatter/ticking sound from 6-8k
6. Uses oil

Here’s the bike I’m going to check out tonight. First thing I notice is these bikes are NARROW! ~4inches more narrow. To me it reminds me of a skinny chick with looong legs ; ) I will post back with my opinions (Doubt he will let me ride it though)

Attachment 53562

600F4inoober 09-14-2010 11:09 PM

Update...so I went to check out the bike tonight (a 2007 with 13k miles) but I declined to ride it as it was too dark out and I didn't want the liability...anyway...on the ride there I kept thinking to myself, "man..I love this bike (My F4i) and its so damn solid and smooth...why would I consider another?"...anyway...the triple 675 is very narrow and the owner actually has the handlebars lifted a bit...even with the lift, sitting on the bike, I still didn't like the ergo's of it...something about it being too skinny!...the exhaust was heat wrapped and the guy said that it was way too hot on his leg and seat prior to wrapping it...the exhaust note and whistle of the intake is quite nice I must say...almost sounded like a procharger on a bike:icon_razz: Its a gorgeous motorcycle don't get me wrong, but I found myself apologizing to my baby on the way home...I know I didnt test ride the bike but I honestly don't think I need to....I'm truly a CBR guy and when the time comes....an 07 or up RR will be my next.....Sorry guise please forgive me.....you are all bad friends for letting me go:icon_razz:

btw...something I noticed was that when turning the key to the on position..you hear the fuel pump prime and then you have to wait like 4 whole second while the bike like "does checks" before the starter button will turn the motor over? Weird.

botlfed 09-15-2010 08:35 AM

It's a beautiful machine and a great performer. I've had the pleasure of riding one this season and would pick one up in a heartbeat if I could. Not many for sale in my area and buying new in the finances.