F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Couple probs on my F4i..."FI" light, and temp reading out

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 04:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple probs on my F4i..."FI" light, and temp reading out

I've got a 2k1 F4i, and the red "FI"light flashes sometimes when I turn the bike on, and will come back on and stay on later, I believe, after I ride for a while. Any ideas on what the prob is?

Also, the engine temp reading shows [--]... it used to work. I was wondering if possibly washing the bike shorted or disconnected some wiring, or if something else is wrong.

I've had the bike for a couple years, but I've been gone for half that time on military training, so I'm still kind of a n00b to it. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Here's the bike, for the heck of it...

[IMG]local://upfiles/7207/9153DDC874074B9897863D2110036AA2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/7207/50A420130078451E9605F4B8F7C4A21C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-06-2007, 04:30 AM
Default RE: Couple probs on my F4i..."FI" light, and temp reading out

for the FI light problem... does your speedo have any problems at all? Does it turn off and on once in a while? if it does, same problem as mine. For some reason, when I ride, the speedo turns off, and the FI light turns on. When I come to a stoplight, I simply turn the key to off and then back to on, and start the bike, and it works perfectly again; no FI light or speedo problems.

as for the engine temp... does the "--" only show up when you first ride or does it stay like that even after riding for 5 or more minutes? If it only shows up at the beginning, it's no problem, the bike's too cold to show a temp at start.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:46 AM

Well the only speedo problem I've noticed is that it's about 10 miles faster than it should be. For instance, if I'm doing 70mph on the hwy, its showing 80mph. Other than that, no speedo probs.

On the eng temp, it says [--] the whole time. It used to work, which is why I'm wondering if maybe some water got into some wiring when I washed it or something. The only other thing I could think of is that when it did work, the bike was running lean with the D&D pipe, and a little hotter than normal...could that have damaged the sensor??

Old 03-11-2007, 03:21 AM

Up... anymore suggestions??

Old 03-12-2007, 09:52 AM

How many times doesthe FI light blink? You need to count the blinks (long blinks/short blinks)and match it to relevant code in thediagnostic section of F4i Service Manual.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:27 AM

Sometimes when you have a battery issue the FI lights will come on. Also if you have a power commander installed the FI lights have a tendency to come on until you get it remapped. The temp gage could be as simple as a fuse or sensor gone bad.
I agree with orags though. You need to count the flashes. if you don't have a service manual post it on here and tell me how many flashes you get and I can tell you what the manual says.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:31 AM

Also for the speed showing wrong. If you have changed the sprocket sizes at all that affects the revolutios and therefore the speed of the bike. The problem is the speedo doesnt take that into account and shows an inaccurate reading. There is a product out on the market made just for this sollution though.
It is called a speedo healer.
Check it out here. Worth the money, because not having your speedo calibrated also shows inaccurate mileage.
http://www.speedohealer.com/eng/intro.htm

Old 03-12-2007, 10:32 AM

You might also check to make sure that you don't have any vent lines bent or kinked under the tank for the FI problem

Old 03-12-2007, 03:35 PM

Last time I rode it was Saturday night, and the light stayed on constantly, but the next time I ride it- which will probably be Tuesday or Wednesday due to the weather- I'll pay attention to how many times it blinks when I first turn it on and relay that info back here. I bought the bike used so I don't have a manual. Thanks for the info!

Old 03-12-2007, 04:43 PM

I was having a similar problem, all lights would blink. Took it to the shop and had them check it, and it checked fine. I took apart everything under the seat and found I had a loose battery connection. I haven't had any problems since. Maybe it might work for you.

Quick Reply: Couple probs on my F4i..."FI" light, and temp reading out