F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Could I Have Just Made The 600rr Swing Arm Conv. EASIER???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:32 PM
July 2010 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the weak mount is what is being tried to get rid of

Old 04-14-2010, 01:35 PM

[quote=chuckbear;907012] I'd wonder if they have the same metal.. quote]

Bingo, thats why i wouldnt do it, if the F4i's swinger was strong enough, why would they make the RR with all that re-enforcement and added weight? I'm assuming you have both? Hold one in each hand, if they are the same weight I wouldnt cut anything off, if the RR is heavier you may be alright.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:39 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

they are the same metals...

Last edited by __Z__; 04-15-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: my bad
Old 04-14-2010, 01:44 PM

IDK man, the swinger to me is like the frame, I would never cut it. But I don't have a RR one in front of me. If you think it will be fine then go for it. From those pics is does kind of look like that piece stabilizes the two arms?

Old 04-14-2010, 05:18 PM

you're also changing the geometry of the suspension completely away from the way the unit pro link works

http://images.sportrider.com/bikes/2...cb1000-upl.gif

imo if you're doing this swap...(I did it last march) you shouldn't be hacking things and re-engineering the way it functions because it's easier. if you wanted easy why not just retain the factory swinger?

Based entirely on the compact system supporting the rear swingarm of the dynamic, new RC211V, the CBR600RR's unique Unit Pro-Link rear suspension system is entirely self-contained within the swingarm it supports, with no connection to the main frame, save for the lower arms providing an anchor for its newly configured Delta Link. This innovative new design totally isolates the frame and steering head from the shocks and stresses exerted on the rear wheel and suspension under spirited riding and racing extremes, and makes a significant contribution to the CBR600RR's total mass centralisation, and by extension its sharper, more responsive handling
if it's for show then...whatever but there you have it

Last edited by Aweasel; 04-14-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:21 PM

all fine and dady I'm just questioning the integrity of the mount...

I'm debating making a mount so I cann use the stock f4i top mount (to the frame itself)..1k rr shock the 600rr swing arm...

Fine and dandy that it takes away from the originnal set up but have you seen the pics with bikes missing their bottom halves of their motors from it?

Last edited by __Z__; 04-14-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:22 PM

and I'm not doing it because it's "easier" I have all the parts needed to do it correctly I was just seeinng if had been tried before differently

Old 04-15-2010, 08:03 AM

I just looked at my mount last night. It isn't bolted to the engine but it's bolted in the place where an optional center stand would be which in turn is a mount that is bolted to the engine. If you look at this area the f4i shock is bolted to this same thing but above it. Since the unit pro link is designed to isolate the forces to just the swing arm as a contained assembly I'm thinking those with their 600rr swingarm swaps that have ripped this mount either A) Got sloppy with bolt selection and drilling B)Didn't center the swingarm thus not centering the link B)Wrecked badly. I seriously doubt it just ripped off while riding. I've got 12000 miles on hard riding and one lowside.

Just looking at the graphic you can tell by studying where the lower mount is attached and the action of the unit there is really no heavy loading going on at that joint. Nowhere close to that of a direct shock mount.

One last thing, the f4i lower mount is way higher than the center stand mount and the 1000rr shock is considerably longer than the f4i unit meaning you'd just about have to have the swingarm damn near perpendicular to the ground to bolt it to the f4i lower mounting location.

I don' t have a digital camera or I'd take some pics. Might get some with my phone. I noticed there's not a lot of good shock mount images of a RR swinger on an F4i floating around the net.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:14 AM

thanks for your input aweasel.... after reading the first post i decided im just going to use the traditional mounting spot.... reason i was looking for alternatives is "stunters" have been the ones with problems... pulling numerous stopies (i realize a motorcycle is not designed for this) they rip the mount and the block.... im just a casual rider so its not a big deal for me.... but still upsetting to see that it can happen... ide hate to be rolling down the interstate doin 70 or whatever and have my back wheels fly up and lock up under my undertail

but i really do wish we had a cross mount support off the frame like the rr's do.... would make everyone happier....

Old 04-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmds18
they are the same metals...

as for the added re-enforcement its because the rr is heavier as well as its a true "sports bike" where ours is more of a sports touring bike
The f4i is the heavier bike...

Quick Reply: Could I Have Just Made The 600rr Swing Arm Conv. EASIER???