F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Correct way of braking...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Correct way of braking...?

Draw your own conclusions or go practice in a lot. I really don't need to ride to California to prove anything. I ride every day that it's practical. Unfortunately I really don't have that many panic stops because I predict and stay alert. I use my handling and keep routes of escape open.

If this conversation does nothing more than get people out to see for themselves which is better, then I have accomplished my goal. Whatever you decide, PRACTICE.

I haven't done any panic stop drills in awhile. I think tomorrow I may just go out and do some. If anything it's fun to get the back wheel up.

Old 09-08-2006, 01:06 AM

blackdog don't waste your time. This guy thinks he knows, but that the problem.

Old 09-08-2006, 02:22 AM

well blackdog, you may be correct on "the fastest way to stop a MODERN sport bike" BUT in every other situation the rear brake is a chassis setter and a brake! examples: driving in the rain and emergency stop, MOTOCROSS!, everyday riding, braking into a hard corner! and i would like to see you NOT use the rear brake in those situations! and if you are teaching an un-experianced rider to use only the front brake... GUESS WHAT! hes going to get himself killed!!!!!! here are some examples!

-driving in the rain on a very slight corner and a car pulls out.
RESULT- front tire slips out and you slide into the car!

-racin your buddy on dirtbikes and your on a gravel road.
RESULT- front tire slips out AGAIN!

- blind corner and you try and stop as fast as you can while turning slightly to stay on the road.
RESULT- you do an endo and cant stay on the road (you go in the weeds)

my point is that using the front brake may stop you faster then using the both, but its not a Technique that you could use in most situations! most emergency stops you have to turn as well! not easy on the front wheel! so why teach some one thats never been on a bike before to do endos in an emergency stop???? i have been riding motorcycles for 16 years and i am only 21! I RACE motocross, been on the track with my F4i ( if there was one near me i would go every weekend) and i have put over 45,000 miles on my 2 bikes combined! so for you trying to tell me that the front is the best and only the front, is a load of crap! and i think the msf coarse is designed for sportbikes too! considering that most younger guys nowa days get one!!!!!!

Old 09-08-2006, 03:32 AM

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcyc...aking-tips.htm

Read this and forget about what everyone else says on this.

Always use both brakes even if the back is slidding. I know for a fact that you can control a skid easily if you arent an idiot.

Fact is as follows - 2 tires trying to stop is better than one even if the front is 80% and the back is 5%
If you are in an emergency,yes the front has most of the stopping power but I dont know to many people that will let off of the brakes until they are fully stopped. Hence you will not highside if you are fully stopped even if your back tire was skidding because your momentum will be gone.

Ok so again, click the URL i posted and read it. It will tell you all you need to know about braking.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:50 AM

Read this and forget about what everyone else says on this.

Always use both brakes even if the back is slidding. I know for a fact that you can control a skid easily if you arent an idiot.

Fact is as follows - 2 tires trying to stop is better than one even if the front is 80% and the back is 5%
If you are in an emergency,yes the front has most of the stopping power but I dont know to many people that will let off of the brakes until they are fully stopped. Hence you will not highside if you are fully stopped even if your back tire was skidding because your momentum will be gone.

Ok so again, click the URL i posted and read it. It will tell you all you need to know about braking.
yup!

Old 09-08-2006, 07:24 AM

Hey guys, sorry...I didn't want to turn this into a shouting match. [:-] You've all been helpful....trust me. I thought you were supposed to use rear brake primarily and front brake was optional.... So I'm already much more knowledgable...this will probably save the bike from dropping (or worse!!!) the first time I go on it...seeing I would've used the rear brake primarily and probably locked??

Old 09-08-2006, 10:53 AM

Well, I have posted what the experts say and my own experience. Not much else I can add.

When do "I" use the back brake?

1. setting the chassis for fast corners.
2. any slick situation where the front has more of a chance of washing out ot locking (gravel, dirt, rain, etc)
3. Low speed maneuvering to tighten turns and stabilize the bike.

As for braking while leaned over. DONT DO IT. That is pretty much universally understood. If you set yourself up to where that was your only option, you screwed up. If you lock the rear brake while leaned over, you are done.

Take away whatever you want from this thread, BUT PRACTICE what you think you will do. Without practice you are just going to slam on the brakes and eat it.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:59 AM

You can brake in corners.....

I dont recomend it unless you are a good rider in the twisties but I know for a fact that you can because if im going to fast for a corner and I am in it already than I will hit the brakes.

Its all experience and knowledge. Racers brake in corners all the time.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:32 AM

ORIGINAL: DThompson

I dont recomend it unless you are a good rider in the twisties but I know for a fact that you can because if im going to fast for a corner and I am in it already than I will hit the brakes.
Do I really need to go into this?.................

Racer TRAIL BRAKE, they don't brake mid corner.

If you brake in a corner or even chop the throttle you upset the chassis and lose ground clearance and change the rake of the chassis. Unless the pegs are already on the ground you can hold your throttle and make the line.

Braking in a corner is the leading cause of single motorcycle accidents on twisty roads.

Let me paint it in a different way. If you are in too fast and you don't think you can make it, the bike is already at the limit of traction. Braking will require more traction than holding maintenance throttle and riding it out. You can even take a wider line if the road or track allows, but stay off the brakes in a turn.

The only exception is if you have enough room to stand the bike up and grab the brakes. I HAVE had to do this while cutting backroads. It's always fun to come into a corner leaned over to find your road covered with gravel. Since I keep the speeds sane, I am able to register the issue, stand the bike up and threshold brake before hitting the gravel.

Shouldn't be a problem on the racetrack, but how many times have you seen a racer stand the bike up and ride it off track to avoid a crash.

**edit** fixed typo

Old 09-08-2006, 12:57 PM

As a physics major, I'd have to side with blackdog on this one.
Imagine a sportbike doing an endo. That is maximum braking possible.
In that situation, you can mash the back brake all you want and it will make 0% difference.
Just my opinion I guess...but i have physics on my side.
--Acumen

Quick Reply: Correct way of braking...?