F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Correct way of braking...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct way of braking...?

What's the correct way for braking at a slow/regular speed? Do you use just the rear, front/rear, just front or mainly rear and just ease a bit of front disc? I know to some of you it might sound like a pretty stupid question...but to someone like me with very little experience, I'd rather make a fool of myself in here then on the road. When I get my bike I wont be going on any advanced course because I read the road much better than most "normal" people (I've been a professional driver in one of the biggest cities in the world for over 10 years now)...so what matters to me more is correct procedures for riding a big bike like a CBR.

Anyone?

Old 09-07-2006, 08:31 PM
Default RE: Correct way of braking...?

#1...MSF Course. Take it as soon as possible.

#2 as soon as you get a sportbike forget what they taught you about braking.

FRONT BRAKE ONLY. Say this over and over. FRONT BRAKE ONLY.

Once you MASTER the front brake and start to worry about cornering fast you can play with using the rear brake to set the chassis and trail brake.

Any modern sportsbike has front brakes that are good enough to lift the rear off the ground. This means that even if you have a TINY bit of pressure on the rear brake, the tire will lock. Your brain will not have the capacity as a new rider to brake at maximum force on the front and monitor the rear for lock AND modulate the pressure on the rear brake pedal.

What will happen if you get used to using the rear with the front for regular day-to-day braking is when you panic you will stomp the rear brake and lock it up.

FRONT BRAKE ONLY!

Old 09-07-2006, 08:48 PM

Thanks Blackdog, very useful. A mate of mine did the Advanced Rider Training course here in the UK and said it was a load of rubbish. They don't help with good riding technique i.e. corneting apex ...rather they lecture you on being "safe" and spotting dangers in advance. Which in all honesty would be a waste of my time. I've done everything from multi-drops to driving VIPs around and drive in one of the craziest cities in the world (very very tight roads built for horse and cart)...trust me...I read the road very well. I've even had people thank me for saving their life on the road...and motorcycle riders often thank and acknowledge my road "manners" and vision. The UK is often called a nanny state...they like to patronise....so the Advanced Rider Training course is a load of tosh.
Though your information does a world of good...thanks again....I will do exactly that!!

Old 09-07-2006, 08:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Blackdog F4i

Once you MASTER the front brake and start to worry about cornering fast you can play with using the rear brake to set the chassis and trail brake.

Any modern sportsbike has front brakes that are good enough to lift the rear off the ground. This means that even if you have a TINY bit of pressure on the rear brake, the tire will lock. Your brain will not have the capacity as a new rider to brake at maximum force on the front and monitor the rear for lock AND modulate the pressure on the rear brake pedal.

What will happen if you get used to using the rear with the front for regular day-to-day braking is when you panic you will stomp the rear brake and lock it up.

FRONT BRAKE ONLY!
+1 for Blackdog MSF course is a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2006, 09:01 PM

FRONT BRAKE ONLY!
yup! once you get used the bike, start to get into the habit of using the back brake. every time i hit the front brake i hit the back as well! just take the MSF coarse and you will be set! i had to take it when i turned 16, 5 years ago because everyone under 18 that wanted a bike had too..The coarse is designed litterly for the first time rider! i mean there was a 60 year old woman in my class that wanted to learn to drive her husbands H-D!!!!!! They teach you to use the front brake and rear at the same time and they will actually throw water on the stoping pad to make it more difficult! it was actually kinda fun! (everyone looking up to you cause you already knew how to ride)..

Old 09-07-2006, 09:04 PM

No offense to the previous poster, but please do not listen to him with regard to braking advice. DO take the MSF course ASAP however.

Proper braking requires the use of both your front AND rear brakes. (except for some situations where you may drag the rear or trail brake)

Your front brakes will give you 70% of your stopping power, the rest comes from the rear.

Again, DO NOT train yourself to react by only hitting your front brake. If you train yourself to NOT use your rear brake and you need to make a sudden stop and get on the front only you could a) get lucky and have enough room to stop with only the front brake, b) lock the front which will result in a very hard crash or c) not stop fast enough because you are down 30% of your braking power and crash into the object you're trying not to hit. And in reality, aside from swerving away those are the only outcomes possible.

I'd rather not read about you in the obits. Take the MSF and learn to brake properly. You will see very quickly that by using both brakes you will stop much faster.

As far as cornering, as a new rider, you should be entering them so slowly and with so much control that you could in theory pin the throttle the whole way through if you so desired.

Old 09-07-2006, 09:16 PM

No offense to the previous poster, but please do not listen to him with regard to braking advice. DO take the MSF course ASAP however.

Proper braking requires the use of both your front AND rear brakes. (except for some situations where you may drag the rear or trail brake)

Your front brakes will give you 70% of your stopping power, the rest comes from the rear.

Again, DO NOT train yourself to react by only hitting your front brake. If you train yourself to NOT use your rear brake and you need to make a sudden stop and get on the front only you could a) get lucky and have enough room to stop with only the front brake, b) lock the front which will result in a very hard crash or c) not stop fast enough because you are down 30% of your braking power and crash into the object you're trying not to hit. And in reality, aside from swerving away those are the only outcomes possible.

I'd rather not read about you in the obits. Take the MSF and learn to brake properly. You will see very quickly that by using both brakes you will stop much faster.

As far as cornering, as a new rider, you should be entering them so slowly and with so much control that you could in theory pin the throttle the whole way through if you so desired.
hey man i said to get used to the bike before he uses the back brake! you dont wanna get his back end out there!!! by the way your arguing with a track junkie! ima stay out this one! but you are right about using the back brake.. but as for a NEW rider......

Old 09-07-2006, 09:19 PM

Ok thanks guys...sounds like very sound advice. The biggest advantage I probably have is my age (i'm in my early 30s). I'm a LOT less wreckless then I used to be...and respect my stuff more. So I'll probably take very little risks on my bike when I get it also because I love the look of the CBR and will want to keep it that way... I am practicing though getting used to the road on a riders point-of-view seeing I am currently riding a scooter.

In the UK we have a big problem of diesel spillages...kills 6 riders a year over here. Big campaign going on for deisel spillage awarness. That is the thing I'm probably most scared of....do you have that problem in the US?

Old 09-07-2006, 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: spdrmns

hey man i said to get used to the bike before he uses the back brake! you dont wanna get his back end out there!!! by the way your arguing with a track junkie! ima stay out this one! but you are right about using the back brake.. but as for a NEW rider......
lol I hear you, but the time I hit reply (I was replying to Blackdog's post) several others already responded.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:02 PM

some people talk before they know what there talking about.A guy once said that youth is wasted on the young, or something like that. I think I know who is going down first from the advise above.

Quick Reply: Correct way of braking...?