F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Converting fairings and body panels

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Converting fairings and body panels

Hi there, I guess this is my 1st post, so excuse my ignorance if some of what I ask seems mildly retarded =) I've been big into cars and mustangs and am a BMW service tech, but i'm new to bikes.
Just got my motorcycle license a month ago but don't have a bike yet.

I'm looking to buy a 2001+ Honda CBR F4i. However I'm very picky. I like the split seat design and I really ONLY want the black/red bikes. Red top, black bottom design.

Anyway, as you can imagine with my picky-ness that an unabused black/red F4i with low mileage is hard to come by. BUT i've seen a few other colored bikes that are in great condition and price,
just different colors.

MY QUESTION:
How expensive/pain in the butt is it to buy say a gray or yellow bike and BUY and INSTALL all the black/red factory panels and body pieces that I want.

I see kits online and on e-bay like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...item414a3eedf7

But I wonder about their fitment, how shady an operation the company is and the quality.

I'm sure the above link is a GHETTO place to buy pieces from, but I'm wondering if their price is accurate. Is it really only $500 for all the body panels? I was kind of expecting EACH piece
to be $500.

Any and all help would be appreciated

Old 11-09-2009, 10:02 AM
October 2011 ROTM

The company in that link is a Hong Kong based company and that is who I am thinking about going with when I buy my fairings this winter cause I am not about to spend $2K on new plastics. However you need to remember you get what you pay for. The fitment is not going to be perfect. A lot of people said they had to round out holes with a dremel. I have read a lot of reviews on this company and some are really good and some are not. One member of this forum just went with them and said he is very pleased with the outcome. Maybe its just luck of the draw. I would say if you buy a bike with good OEM fairings and are dead set on the black and red color scheme you might want to contact your local paint shop to see what they would charge to do it all. You will have to repaint the tank no matter what.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:09 AM

in reguards to OEM vs aftermarket what are the fairings made of? Are they literally plastic on the OEM as well as aftermarket? or is OEM like a polyurathane and aftermarket is plastic??

Old 11-09-2009, 10:41 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

its not that hard man... check out d9industries..... that way u stay in the united states and dont have to wait a month or deal with bad customer service.... they site may seem jank but i have heard nothing but great stuff about they and their fairings....

here ya go

d9industries.org

Old 11-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Old 11-09-2009, 10:51 AM

wow thanks awesome site.
Thanks for the info. I have been looking for a US based company so that works. I'll check them out.

Im surprised i really didn't think it'd cost $500 for ALL the body panels. So my idea is doable then. I was worried about the bike costing $3-4k and then another $2k+ in body panels. So im glad thats not the case.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:54 AM

lol na that would be some expensive @$$ panels..... haha maybe carbon fiber

Old 11-09-2009, 11:00 AM

awesome. so maybe ill start looking at cleaner different colored bikes and save up over the winter to change the color for the spring. awesome thanks guys.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:02 AM

In english money your talking about £380 inc P+P for the ****y hongkong fibreglass ones that dont fit (leaves massive gaps) and your talking about a extra £120 (£500 inc P+P) for the ones made of the same matterial as original honda ones that fit perfectly and take drops and spills better.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:04 AM

There isn't a honda dealer around me, so i dont know where esle to get factory honda panels. How much ARE factory honda panels anyway? there a website to get them?

If they are only a little more than aftermarket, i'd rather have factory panels to be honest.

Quick Reply: Converting fairings and body panels